bathing

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
asha_dee2007

bathing

Post by asha_dee2007 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 am

my rat really stinks! and being a male he smells more :lol: do ya think its too cold to give him a bath? or shall i give him one and keep him warm by the fire till he is dry?
i dont want him being ill.
EC member.
Owned by: Loral,Hardy,Sam,Charlie,Vin,Spud,Jax,Dave,Soho,Tink,Nel,Cara&LittleMiss.
R.I.P-BiggirlShygirlHenryBigboyCasperBrunoCyrilAceLloydBlakeTheo.Forever missed but never forgotten :love:

Karly

Re: bathing

Post by Karly » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 am

You could give him a quick wash with babywipes or a damp flannel rather than a complete bath, and dry him with a towel as much as you can. Rats shouldn't really need baths, is there any particular reason he smells?

asha_dee2007

Post by asha_dee2007 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:01 am

all the buck greese and hes been pee'd on :lol:
EC member.
Owned by: Loral,Hardy,Sam,Charlie,Vin,Spud,Jax,Dave,Soho,Tink,Nel,Cara&LittleMiss.
R.I.P-BiggirlShygirlHenryBigboyCasperBrunoCyrilAceLloydBlakeTheo.Forever missed but never forgotten :love:

amygates

Post by amygates » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:31 pm

asha_dee2007 wrote:all the buck greese and hes been pee'd on :lol:

Lovely! I had to bath all 6 of my rats last night as I was introducing the 6th. I am now covered in scratches! But no it should be a problem with it being cold as I am assuming you keep in in doors and have the heating on. Just wrap him up in a towel (if he'll let you!) And try and be as quick as possible as it can be a bit stressful!
The Last Two: Puddle & Alaska
RIP Roxy, miss you like mad. :(
RIP Snoopy, far too young
RIP Taylor, missing you already

Lady_Chilli

Post by Lady_Chilli » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Bathing is a nightmare with my girls they hate it! But the boys are ok with it and generally just sit there until im done lol! Normally they all sit there whilst i give them a good rubbing down with a towel and to be honest, its not long before they get dry. Just keep them in a none draughty environment and im sure they'll be fine :)
*Your signature breaches the signature guidelines, please read the guidelines. Thank you*

rex rat

Post by rex rat » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:19 am

i had to bath two of my boys last week, they were a bit sticky and they too had buck grease and pee on them. Im now covered in scratches on my hands, only one boy ldoesnt mind getting bathed, well he struggles them kind of gives in!! :roll: :wink:
4 girls & 4 boys.
Too many ratties at rainbow bridge to mention.

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:10 pm

If they truly need a bit of a wash, I've heard people here say their rats have enjoyed a shower. As long as they have somewhere dry to get to and the temperature is right.