Help! Milky looking eye?!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
BunnyWestley

Help! Milky looking eye?!

Post by BunnyWestley » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm

One of my new babies, Basil, has got a problem with his eye. He was fine yesterday, I just noticed it now. I guess he's about 3/4 months old.

It looks sort of swolen, the actual eyeball, and is sort of milky looking, kind of purple/pink/cloudy. Bit like a James Bond baddie.

Anyone know what this might be??

Obviously he is going to the vet first thing tomorrow, but my vet is a bit rubbish (as I found with Ricks ear infection, he'll be tilty forever thanks to vet not giving him the right anti-biotic) so anything anyone can tell me before I go would be an enormous help!!

He's eating OK and active and still seem like himself, it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Oh, should he be popped into our "hospital cage"? If its infectious, I don't want my other boys suffering. :cry:
EDIT: He's an agouti rex so black eyes usually

BunnyWestley

Re: URGENT! Help! Milky looking eye?!!

Post by BunnyWestley » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Here's a piccy:-

joolzratbag

Post by joolzratbag » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 pm

It's almost definitely an infection from trauma to the eye such as a scratch, even if there is no infection yet, there is highly likely to be by tomorrow if caused by some kind of trauma to it.

Your other lads are not at risk in any way, but there might be a very small risk of his eye getting worse if he stays in with them? I would be very tempted to watch him for the next half an hour to an hour, and if the swelling gets worse instead of staying the same - to call out the emergency vet.

Good luck to him.
~Joolz~
Bonny :dumbogirly: Annee :dumbogirly:
RIP all those before them <:3 )~~~
Rat Health

pip145

Post by pip145 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:38 am

he might just be blind in that one eye

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 am

Doesn't look quite as oddly shaped/puffy today.

But still there is something obvously wrong so soon as the vets open, I'm making him an appointment, my vets is quite good for same day appointments.

We popped him in a cage by himself, that way he is less likely to hurt it any more (less room for pinging about in) and he's not going to get into any play fights with the others.

Any one know anything about treatment for this kind of injury/infection?

Just so I can suggest anything if the vet is clueless! :roll:

Aarwen

Post by Aarwen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 am

my old boy grandpa joe had his eye ball scratched...my vet is fab btw...they prescribed baytril for 14 days & metacam for 7 days, with a revisit at the 14 day mark & the advise to return asap if the eye flared up or looked infected....there was no infection in the eye atall, but he is now blind from the wound.
good luck!!
Arrrghhh!!! Run, it's a RAT!!!

BunnyWestley

Re: Help! Milky looking eye?!

Post by BunnyWestley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:59 am

Basil has an appointment for 5.30pm tonight.

I'll let you all know how he gets on!

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Just got back from vets with Basil.

The vet is not sure why his eye is poorly. He might have a little scratch on it or it might be ulcerated inside. He has to stay in the hopstil cage so it doesn't get popped when he's play fighting else they'll have to take his eye out.

He had a painkiller injection and has some drops, Tiacil, to put in his eye (fun fun fun!) and some baytril to stop him getting infected.

He was a VERY good boy, and didn't wiggle too much when the vet was looking and held very still for his injection.

He's seems to be eating OK and he's all up for adventures, scritches and cuddles so it doesn't seem to be upsetting him too much! :hearts:

He's to go back to the vet in 10 days so they can see how its getting on.

-x-

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 am

Anyone got any tips on getting eye drops into an eye?

Basil is not very co-operative and even with 2 of us he keeps shutting his eye then shaking his head and flicking goo all over us!! :roll:

lily6662000

Post by lily6662000 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 am

I rat sat a rat that had one eye the same as Basil's. They never found out what caused it but suspected some sort of trauma. He was given Baytril in case of infection and although he never regained sight in the eye it wasn't removed. They eye resumed its normal size but remained cloudy. The blood supply to the eye remained so the eye hadn't died. The owner had to keep a close eye on it in case it changed size again, therefore indicating an infection. It didn't cause him a problem again. I guess the problem can be that because there is not sight in the eye that they could more easily scratch it.

With any luck Basil's eye isn't as damaged and he will regain the sight in it. I have my fingers crossed for him.

I had a rat that had recurrent eye infections a couple of times a year. She was fortunately very good at letting me put the drops in. However, I had a rex rat that need drops when an eye lash got in her eye. She wasn't nearly so cooperative but I found that giving her a treat to distract her would often work. She would be busy eating and I could just drop a drop in almost without her noticing. I'm sure your lad will get more used to it with time though. At least there are plenty of drops in a bottle!! :lol: Good luck.

Emiko

Post by Emiko » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 am

My rat Blindi (have a guess why she's called like that :wink: ) is completely blind. But if I didn't know it exactely I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Even blind rats get along quite well, as the sense of seeing is not that important for rats. She jumps around, climbs, runs and plays with the other rats. But she bites me and I mustn't touch her if she doesn't have a goody in her mouth. The only thing she doesn't do is jump far distances 'cause she can't see them. To me she seems like healthy and normal rat.

Her left eye is grey and completely blind. The vet is quite sure that she can't see on her right eye also.

Bye

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 am

Still having issues.

We're tried distracting him with treats - no go.

Sneaking up on him when he's sleepy - no go.

One person holding him and the other trying to prise his eye open - no go.

He just *knows* when you're coming near that eye with a dropper and closes it!!

The problem is the stuff is REALLY thick and goopy. If it was more liquid I could be more confident that some was going into the eye. The best we can do is just smear on a fair bit over his eye and hope some goes in when he opens it. And you have to try and stop him shaking his head and hold his little arms down or he instantly just wipes it all off again!!!!!! :evil:

I really want it to clear up cuz I hate him being poorly, even though it hasn't stopped in acroratting his way, leaping from sofa to sofa to the main cage and trying to break in to see him mates. We do get the others out to come and play with him while freeranging but the vet said he wasn't to go in the main cage as he might fight and get his eye popped.

If he has to have his eye out I simply can't afford it untill mid next month. The only way I can take him to his 2nd appointment is to time it after my OH has been paid. I did start saving for vets after the amazing Rick and his 3 trips in a week, then all the money I had so far saved got spent on the latest trip to the vets!!

Its a shame they don't do rat pet insurance!! :(

Aarwen

Post by Aarwen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:21 am

have you tried to make it a tiny bit runny with a tiny drip of water?
Arrrghhh!!! Run, it's a RAT!!!

KathyM

Post by KathyM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 am

I wouldn't water it down, he might not get the appropriate dose. Shirley and Ariane flicked a lot of their eye cream off, but the vet explained to me that's why it's made goopy, so enough sticks. I would continue as you are, it's most likely the soreness/itchiness of the eye that's causing it, and that will decrease as the eye starts to heal. :girly:
KathyM's signature now conforms to the rules Sir. ;)
In the immortal words of Wayne and Garth, "I'm not worthy".

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:07 pm

OK, I was putting the drops in this evening (and getting covered) and it *looks* to me like there is something in his eye.

There is a little sort of white bit you can just see if you're looking right, you can see the shape of it on his eyeball, and if you can move his upper eyelid up it looks like there is something dark in there.

I don't want to poke about in Basils eye, in case he moves and I poke it or anything, and he hardly even lets me look at it anyway. Would it be best to go to the vets and have it looked at again or wait untill the 10 days is up and he's going back anyway? Timed sneakily for when OH will be paid.

If he really does need to go I'll take him, but the money is an issue as I have none, untill mid next month. I'll go without food for a week if I have to but that only gives me £20 as not buying petrol is sadly not an option (as no work AND no vets if I have no petrol in car).

What could the vet do? I'm not keen on having him knocked out, and there is no way anything could be properly prodded otherwise, as he might have to have his eye out so will have to be knocked out again....