Help! Baby rat has been bitten!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
atters-hja

Help! Baby rat has been bitten!

Post by atters-hja » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Introduced the 9 week old babies to the big boys and they've been living happily together for 2 and a bit weeks, but Basil is prone to grumpiness over food and bit one of the babies, resulting in a bite about 1.5 cm in diameter. Very big in proportion to him. What should we do?? Happened about an hour ago, but Possum (the other nicer big boy) is now cleaning his wound.

garbo

Re: Help! Baby rat has been bitten!

Post by garbo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Does the baby seem ok in himself or is he scared?

Rats heal very quickly so I am sure it will heal very soon but I wouldn't wnat any of mine getting picked on especially as they are only so young and not able to fight back! Perhaps yhou could just monitor them al for the moment but if your still worried later then you could remove the babies over night in case the big boy goes back for anoyther go. He is probably just trying to show who is boss!
:smileyrat: Dave :smileyrat: Amelie :smileyrat: Elody :smileyrat: Ruby :rainbow: Lila :rainbow: Roly :rainbow: Roxy :rainbow: Darcy- Sleep soundly girlies

atters-hja

Post by atters-hja » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Just looked in on him now and he's sleeping in the same hammock as the one who bit him! It was only over food, we gave them peanuts and there was still one in the cage, Basil got grumpy and bit him. He seems perfectly normal, only he's got a big gash on his neck...We've bathed it in salt water, and he is moving normal, isn't scared, so...hopefully he'll be A-OK

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 am

We tend to have a fair few bites and scrapes but they seem get over it quickly and everything heals really fast! I've gotten used to it now really. If it still looks fresh I bathe it with saline solution if they'll stay still long enough but usually its scabbed over when I finally manage to have a look! :D

I just keep an eye on them but usually they're fine!

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:30 am

Hope the baby is feeling OK now and doesn't get picked on any more.
Mummy to Courcelles, Lilac, Feather, Midnight & Cocoa

atters-hja

Post by atters-hja » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm

not even 24 hours after it happened, it's healed! micaulous!! when you said quickly i thought like 2-4 days! not a few hours...bloomin heck! :D