contagious infections

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Estelle

contagious infections

Post by Estelle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:36 am

Mods - can i suggest this as a fresh sticky for when infections are doing the rounds??

I've noticed that information regarding who has problems and what the problems are tends to disappear into a number of threads of multiple pages, and unless you sit down and read them all, you can often miss a potential risk to yourself i feel. Can we have a sticky that lists the following info for quick reference and also that can help others to realise that they may have been exposed to a risk? it would help people to decide whether crossposting or taking info to club officials is also required.

Details could be in the format of:
username:
town/county:
symptoms:
number of infected/lost to date:
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others:
link to thread with more info on:
any additional info:

Hollyanna

Re: contagious infections

Post by Hollyanna » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:45 am

Username: Hollyanna

Town/county: Alexandria, Glasgow

Symptoms: occasional sneezing and fluffed up, followed by rattling and crackling in the chest. Light occasional sneezes then becomes harder and more frequent. Porphyrin from eyes and nose, panting and sucking in sides. Few hours later gasping with open mouth, rasping noises and panic. This is when I had Sglods put down.

Number of infected/lost to date: 1 lost on Monday 31 March. Her sister is going downhill today 03/04. All three others just light occasional sneezing.

Events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others:
Just Aarwen's house in Glasgow where the virus became apparent last weekend 29/03/08. They've been nowhere else since Christmas.

Link to thread with more info on: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93735&start=0

Any additional info:
* Be warned that this virus seems to attack very quickly - perky to dead within 24-48 hours. Keep close eye as deterioration is very quick.
* Aarwen's vet said all should be on antibiotics, Metacam and Bisolven. Aarwen's are on Marbocyl, mine on Baytril. it has also been suggested in advanced cases they should also go onto a bronchodilator (like Corvental) and a diuretic (like Frusemide).
:teen: Arian ~ Melfed the menace (9 Dec 09)~Cutie Crempog (22 Sept 09)~Sweetie Menyn (9 July 09)~Gentle Bara (31 March 09)~Brave Caws (5 April 08)~Little Sglods (31 March 08)~

Aarwen

Post by Aarwen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 am

User name: Aarwen

Town: Glasgow

Symptoms:

Lost: 3 (Pickle on Monday, Stevie Tuesday, Rocky Wednesday)

Infected incl those lost: all 21 with varying degrees of severity.

Events / places visited in last 3 weeks: None other than HollyAnnas rats visiting for two consecutive weekends..Easter weekend & the weekend after. Also new PAH baby 3 wks ago.

Link to thread with more info: as HollyAnnas above

Additional Info: As HollyAnnas above
Arrrghhh!!! Run, it's a RAT!!!

Vicki_of_Abno

Post by Vicki_of_Abno » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

username: Vicki_of_Abno

town/county: Walsall, West Midlands

symptoms: Initially sneezing and porphyrin, progressing to very rattly, bubbly breathing, then rapid breathing and lethargy and then gasping and death. Have noticed that many rats seem to get squinty eyes in the worst stages. Also loss of appetite only occurs immediately before death - is not a typical symptom of the early stages.

number of infected/lost to date: 15 infected, 2 lost

events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Basingstoke via train - no other places visited.

link to thread with more info on: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93569

any additional info:
Very aggressive illness. Recovery time so far observed as over a week (none yet recovered to full health).
Vet suggest pasteurella playing a part. Pneumonia seems to be the final stages. When dead rats exmained, liquid bubbled from their airways when squeezed.
Highly contagious - usually spreads during incubation period.
Vicki x

:smileyrat: Mo, Woody & :dumboteen: Marley & :girly: Felix, Gizmo & :dumbogirly: Dot

fiona2348

Post by fiona2348 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:51 am

username: Fiona2348
town/county: Glasgow
symptoms: Sneezing, crackling, lethargy and lack of appetite
number of infected/lost to date: 1 is sneezing, 2 are crackly, but they are all bright and eating so far. I died last night, she was very lethargic and off her food
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: They stayed at Aarwen's house, along with others, last week
link to thread with more info on: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93735
any additional info: As above, although Nutmeg was ill for around 56 hours before she died
Oliver,Wilbur :smileyrat: Daisy,Rosie,Jasmine,Bluebell ,Petunia,Iris,Bramble :girly:
:rainbow: Bailey,Leo,Mister,Cosmo,Isaac,Riley,Ginger,Nutmeg,Saffron,Cinnamon,Max,Sorrel,Holly,Lily,Freddie,Sebastian,Poppy :rainbow:
Click here for photos of my rats

Rizzo

Post by Rizzo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Username: Rizzo

Symptoms: Sneezing, wheezing, crackling sounds when breathing, Laboured breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite. Porphryn staining around nose.

Numbers lost: 1 (20 month old buck)

Recovering from being very ill: 1(12 month old buck) Gradually making a recovery after 3 days of illness. He had lost his appettie by day 2, but has now regained it and is eating hard food aswell as soft food (day 4)

Total number affected: All 9 bucks. All other rats are just sneezing with 2 bucks with the odd ocassionly snotty crackle when breathing, this is not persisent and only occurs every now and then.

Treatment: The buck who died was treated with metacam and septrin as was and/is the 12 month suvivor. When he had lost his appetite I aksed for medications in injection form in order to maintain his meds. Now that his appetite had returned I have resumed medicating him via his food.

All rats with crackling breathing are being treated with the same medication in order (hope) to prevent the symptoms becomming worse. Although with one buck (3 months old) his crackling has not stopped after 3 days of treatment.

Transmisson of disease: It is my belief that one or both of 2 new arrivals brought the disease in with them and now the disease has done the rounds. The teo suspected bringers of the disease have been quarateened.

Question:
I am very worried about when it will be safe for these 2 new young bucks to be re-introduced to the main buck group. Does anybody have any ideas of how long I should leave it? to be safe. Or whether it would be best to keep these 2 boys seperate permenantly? The buck I lost has hit my hard and I am petrified that I will loose other bucks if I re-introduce to soon?
Helen and her boys;
Colin, Claude, Arnold, Vito and Toni.

http://www.nezuminursery.co.uk

dustbunny

Post by dustbunny » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:16 am

username:Dust bunny

town/county:Torquay Devon Uk

symptoms: Rapid loss of weight,sneezes,bulging eyes,lump in neck,weakness,lethergy

number of infected/lost to date:6 that i know of.

events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: No shows visited .No transportation other ttan to local vets ..own transport used.

link to thread with more info on: Doing The Rounds Again?...Poss S D A.....HEALTH, (sorry dont know how to do the link thing.)

any additional info: Tho there are the above symptoms they are secondary infections , not the symptoms of the S D A. .A couple that were taken have shown no visible symptoms untill litterally a couple of hours before death.This seems to effected some of the biggest strongest and healthiest boys and girls of their colony. Please follow thread for updates. Thankyou.xxdebbiexx
owned by primrose, buttercup and caisey.
Member of R T C C (Ratty Tower Cage Club).

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 pm

username: KatieD
town/county: York
symptoms: **Updated - infection now known to be pasteurella** Frequent bouts of very noisy breathing in previously non-respy rat with nasal discharge (Jemima) and snuffling in a young rat (Georgie). Very sudden, dramatic onset in Jemima. Jemima tended to have no noise at all once she'd been active for a while but when left to sit, got vet noisey, very quickly. She was also noticeably less active than usual. Georgie seemed a little quiet when she was snuffly but soon was back to her normal self less than 24 hours later. Georgie was on antibiotics before her symptoms started due to the group's possible exposure to an infection (see comments below).
number of infected/lost to date: 2 showed symptoms infected. 1 elderly rat died whilst infection was active but as he did not show any symptoms, I do not believe it was connected. Mentioning just in case.
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Visited York RSPCA the week before symptoms became apparent and also was accosted :wink: by local pet shop owner the week before symptoms became apparent (pet shop owner known to have rat with severe respiratory symptoms, hence the accosting). Housemate's dogs were allowed into my room :x whilst I was out shortly after returning from the vets so possible exposure to goodness knows what via them 2 days before first symptoms.
link to thread with more info on: n/a
any additional info: Infection cleared within a few days with Baytril/ceporex combination. All rats in household treated but two Shunamite girls never showed symptoms. Georgie (rescue) snuffled twice but cleared up very quickly. All rats completing course of antibiotics but all rats have been asymptomatic for 5+ days now. Jemima had a noticeable sticky upper respiratory discharge. All rats also being fed Brown Rice booster as 1/2 of their fresh food daily for duration of treatment. All rats also receiving biolapis probiotics which will be continued for 14 days following antibiotic treatment completion.

**Update Friday 29th of August 2008**
Jemima died this afternoon. She had pasteurella that was abscessing throughout her upper respiratory system and in her ears. She went from looking perfectly healthy again on Wednesday to this. She developed very fast growing abscesses including near her eye and in one ear. She also had an abscess developing in her mouth. I'd made a decision to have her put to sleep but she deteriorated so quickly.
Katie and the boys
Brecon, Moss, Zephyr Mithrandir (Harry) and Zephyr Urban Spaceman (Sam)
x

opalinecoma

Post by opalinecoma » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 pm

username: opalinecoma

town/county: Leeds

symptoms: Bloody nose, crackly breathing, rapid weight loss, lethargy, refusal to drink/loss of appetite, withdrawn behaviour, stiff back legs

number of infected/lost to date: Four of my rats have been infected. My two boys (2 years old) fought the virus off whereas two of my does died :( (4 years old and 1 year old)

events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: I have visited my local vets (Towerwood) and the pet shop opposite (paws 4 thought) I have used my own transportation.

any additional info: Vet wasn't sure what it was but prescribed baytril and gave her a steroid injection. She died the day afterwards. I've but baytril in the water to try give the others a fighting chance.
Betsy :teen: Melvin :dumbo: Eliza :dumbo: Peachy :dumbo:
Maisy :rainbow: Ruby :rainbow: Erin :rainbow: Ivy :rainbow: Phoebe :rainbow: Roger :rainbow: Pippa :rainbow: Sebastian :rainbow: Jasmine :rainbow:

Ali

Post by Ali » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:29 pm

The initial thoughts for this was that it was something contagious but it doesn't seem to be a bad one at all in comparason if it is. I thought it might be worth posting but then again I don't think I pose a threat to anyone as I am not one for managing to get to rat shows :oops:

Anyway,

username: Ali
town/county: Bristol/South Glos
symptoms: Varying...sneezing, rattling, wheezing, slightly puffy cheeks, weepy eye, bit lethargic.
number of infected/lost to date: 4 rats affected out of 4 owned.
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Only the local vets
link to thread with more info on: Not made a thread on FR bit one on NFRS forum.
any additional info:I won't be going anywhere ratty with or without my rats while they are affected.
All are on Doxy in the water. Also boosted them up with brown rice booster and echinacea. Seems to be getting better :D
Ali :D

:smileyrat: Anubis and Ra
:rainbow: Rest In Peace Amun, Chance, Prana, Ki, Chi (Minion of Riff), Mr Ratz, Gimli, Marmite, Marmalade, Samuel Whiskers, Malibu
*Note - extra lines removed to meet the signature guidelines.*

Purepsycho

Post by Purepsycho » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Username: Purepsycho
Town/county:Basingstoke/Hampshire
Symptoms:Lethargic, heavy/shallow/clicky breathing, puffyness/swollen cheeks, porphryn from nose.
Number of infected/lost to date: 3 have come down with the same symptoms in 2 weeks.
Events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others:Only local vets
Link to thread with more info on: n/a
Any additional info: Vet agreed that we seem to have an infection doing the rounds.
They are on a Baytril, Bisolvin and steroid mix, only 1 seems to have got over it, the other 2 are perking up some days then going downhill again. The ones that have recently had other infections seem most at risk.
Shelley and the big boy squishes - Lurr, Zeb, Odin & Scrabble - the little boy squishes - Haku, Calcifer, Toblerone, Caramel & Kiba :hearts:
x RIP all my many many loved & missed ones at the bridge x

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm

I believe I have a virus of some kind here at the moment.

town/county:
Manchester/Lancs

symptoms:
Purulent nasal discharge which smells hideous and looks like 'snot' for want of a better description, greeny-yellow and very thick, it completely blocks the nasal passages.
Lung congestion (really noisy chests), vast amounts of difficulty breathing.
Serious dehydration.
Anorexia (weight loss).
Lethargy, floppiness, spiked fur, low temperature.
Porphyrin around nose but not so much around the eyes.

number of infected/lost to date:
1 lost - old boy who suffered heart failure as a result of the extreme resp stress/effort
8 with symptoms, all over the age of 22 months

events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others:
None - just my Vets.

any additional info:
Meds being used; Baytril+Clavaseptin or Baytril+Doxy, Bisolvon, Dexamethasone, Sub-Q Fluids, Probiotics.

Younger rats asymptomatic.

Vet and I believe symptoms are down to opportunistic secondary bacterial infection by pasteurella pneumotropica.

All rats responding well to treatments so far - sub-q fluids and dex seem to be essential in those with the worst symptoms.

Provisional incubation period of virus appears to 3 - 14 days. I visited my Vets on the 13th, first rat showed symptoms on 16th, last rats to show symptoms began on 27th, no new patients since then.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

silverfawn

Post by silverfawn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi there i really could do with some help but to be brief i have a problem i have kept rats for many years and been very sucessfull in keeping them after a while i ended up taking on sick or injured rats or just unwanted ones in doing so it seem this time it has been to the detriment of all my existing ones. I currently have 15 rats of varying ages and sexes who all get along famously (un-usuall i no) i recently "as usuall" purchased an undernoureshed sneezing rat usually i could fix this problem with baytril, this time though it has manifested itself into some sort of super respiritory problem i have had 2 rats have to be put down in two days and i already have 2 more suspects, they seem to be going from normal to zero overnight, i am working with my vet and we are sending of tissue samples to find the exact bacteria causing this phneumonia i am afraid for the welfare of my other rats and they only way i can thik to stop anymore from deterarating is to rehome those of whom that are well, if i knew people who could take them on just as fosters till it is all clear then i would but i dont know anyone. I was just wondering if you would have any contacts anywhere that may be willing or able to help even if i have to give them up or pay, i am not wealthy but all that i have is for my animals so i just dont want there lives to be cut short just because i was trying to help. If anyone could advise me i just dont know what to do and im...... lost for words just so upset. Please could you help me? I just cant see anyway to fix this horrible problem im afraid i will loose them all i dont know who to seperate and oh i just dont know what to do. I have had rats for over 11 years and i have never seen anything like this its just un stopable

joolzratbag

Post by joolzratbag » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 am

silverfawn wrote:i am afraid for the welfare of my other rats and they only way i can thik to stop anymore from deterarating is to rehome those of whom that are well,

I'm so sorry for your losses and that you are going through this - but this is not the solution. Whether the problem is bacterial or viral, all your rats have already been exposed to it, and so now it is a case of waiting it out to see if they get sick or not, moving them will not help any of them, and if you did foster them on to somebody else who kept rats - it would put their rats at risk. Your rats that have showed no symptoms hopefully never will - but they could carry whatever it is to rats in other colonies. You should keep your house 'closed off - not letting any rats in or out for several weeks. Has your vet got you to treat all your rats with antibiotics?
Here is info on quarantine:-
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php
I do hope your other sick ones get better and the others remain healthy, best of luck. x
~Joolz~
Bonny :dumbogirly: Annee :dumbogirly:
RIP all those before them <:3 )~~~
Rat Health

Ali

Post by Ali » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am

I wonder if your post Silverfawn would be better placed in the main branch of health, as this is more for updates so people can fill the form in and others can assess the local risk. You might be get more replies with advice etc. Hope things don't get any worse :( x
Ali :D

:smileyrat: Anubis and Ra
:rainbow: Rest In Peace Amun, Chance, Prana, Ki, Chi (Minion of Riff), Mr Ratz, Gimli, Marmite, Marmalade, Samuel Whiskers, Malibu
*Note - extra lines removed to meet the signature guidelines.*