is their a virus going around...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
nova1990

is their a virus going around...

Post by nova1990 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:23 pm

coz 4 of my rats or ill and 1 died aready. 2 of me rats are getting better but still ill. thier really skinny. the vet said they cant do anything for them so ive put the ill rats in a differnt cage. i havent changed their food or substrate so it cant be that. its really weird. can anyone help, coz i really dont want all my rats dieing

kirstie
mummy of 10 pretty girls: :girly: dumbo pucca, marian martha alice maizy drusilla elvira emo buffy samara
and 11 gorgeous boys : :smileyrat: baby feral patrick gizmo jake gerrand sheep saten tiesto cookie donut tinker

fern

Re: is their a virus going around...

Post by fern » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:31 pm

oh i hope not!!
Mouse <3
R.I.P:misty,ronnie,roxy,munch,magic,shadow,angel,volta,roger,jack, luna <3 daisy,bluebell,izzy,bella,ebony,minnie,blue,gaz,jonny, milka,

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:46 pm

There are various viruses about varying in severity. It's very hard to tell whether any particular outbreak of illness is one, but if several rats come down with the same symptoms it is likely.

It's not possible to treat the actual virus other than by supporting the rats systems (fluids etc). However, a lot of rats develop secondary bacterial respiratory problems with viruses and these should always be treated with antibiotics. So it's definitely worth seeing another vet.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 pm

have your rats been in contact with other rats at all? either via shows or vets or any other source? That might help work out whether this is isolated or can be linked to something.

scabbers

Post by scabbers » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:45 pm

I have read on here about rats going down at a great rate and though to myself that i havnt been to any shows or anything as my Menace is also ill.the other 2 are fine however.but the other day i did go to a neighbours house where they have 2 rats and held them.they however are fine (and to my knowledge havnt been in contact with other rats) and so are the other 2 of mine. so is this just something where if you go to shows maybe you have picked up an infection?
Never forgotten and always in my heart-Red,Feargal,Menace Midge,Blaze,Bob and Woody.Weasel,Roy,Vinnie,Poppy,Bell,Buffy and Dee Dee.Also Iggy and Lenny who i was mummy to for a while.xxxxxxxxxxx

nova1990

Post by nova1990 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:41 am

i haved been to any shows. the only contact ive had with other rats is at my college and there all fine. other than that i honestly dont know. its really worrying me i hope it dont spead to my other rats.
mummy of 10 pretty girls: :girly: dumbo pucca, marian martha alice maizy drusilla elvira emo buffy samara
and 11 gorgeous boys : :smileyrat: baby feral patrick gizmo jake gerrand sheep saten tiesto cookie donut tinker

carney

Post by carney » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:27 pm

I have a virus here. Out of 15 I have 13 with respy symptoms and/or sneezing. Not showing any other signs of being ill. they are all being treated with baytril.
Formerly yappy

nova1990

Post by nova1990 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:32 pm

i think im gonna go to a different vet. another rat is ill now :-| how much is baytril. not that i care coz id pay any thing

carney

Post by carney » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:01 pm

I usually get mine at the same time as a consultation and I don't think I pay more than £20. Cos I'm such a good customer they gave me what they had left from their bottle on friday at no extra charge!

As I said before, apart from the noises and sneezing you wouldn't think any of mine were ill.
Formerly yappy

Vicki_of_Abno

Post by Vicki_of_Abno » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 am

scabbers wrote:I have read on here about rats going down at a great rate and though to myself that i havnt been to any shows or anything as my Menace is also ill.the other 2 are fine however.but the other day i did go to a neighbours house where they have 2 rats and held them.they however are fine (and to my knowledge havnt been in contact with other rats) and so are the other 2 of mine. so is this just something where if you go to shows maybe you have picked up an infection?

No, my groups picked up a virus on a train journey I believe ... either that or from a pet shop rat.

The particular virus my groups had was highly contagious and was airborne too, it seemed to be much more severe than some of the others. I had 15 affected rats, of which 4 died, and 1 now has lasting severe respiratory problems.
It's just one of those things I think.
Vicki x

:smileyrat: Mo, Woody & :dumboteen: Marley & :girly: Felix, Gizmo & :dumbogirly: Dot

scabbers

Post by scabbers » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:11 am

So does this mean in a nutshell that wherever you are if the virus is in the air you can take it back to your babies? :(
Never forgotten and always in my heart-Red,Feargal,Menace Midge,Blaze,Bob and Woody.Weasel,Roy,Vinnie,Poppy,Bell,Buffy and Dee Dee.Also Iggy and Lenny who i was mummy to for a while.xxxxxxxxxxx

Vicki_of_Abno

Post by Vicki_of_Abno » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 am

It means there's always a risk really. The more highly contagious ones could be brought in on shoes, or be airborne through open windows and if there's an infected wild rat nearby it might travel that way.

I was told you can never really be sure where these things come from really because the more highly contagious viruses just spread like wildfire. I wouldn't worry overly about it. Just act quickly IF any of your rats do come down suddenly with respiratory illness.
Vicki x

:smileyrat: Mo, Woody & :dumboteen: Marley & :girly: Felix, Gizmo & :dumbogirly: Dot