Interesting one on siamese breeding

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
fuzzyfeet

Interesting one on siamese breeding

Post by fuzzyfeet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:33 am

Ok.....

I havent had a litter since feb/march and now i have the foster but trying to work up some enthusiasm so ive been back through my breeding records. I have this anomily and wonder if someone can explain as its been playing on my mind today :D

2 matings took place at the end of last year. The does were 2 Valhalla sisters and both black eyed sealpoint top eared selfs. Now .....both these sisters were mated to the same buck, a self black dumbo who has the same father as the sisters but a different mum.

Jasmine had 14 and all babies were sealpoint,blue point and black selfs.....Amber again had 14 but as well as self siamese seal and blue and blacks there were 6 blue selfs in the litter????
The girls mum and dad both sealpoint but carried blue point. What i cannot understand is why one sister had blues and a large percentage and the other had none?

So...why did this happen and whats the answer? Both girls are now retired after their litter and live in my pet group.The buck Bobby had issues with his half brother Teasel so was castrated and now lives with char,a real shame as he produced some brilliant babies but thats by the by now i guess. The origional litter that i had in the beginning was only small just 4 babies of which 3 were sealpoint and one blue point.

Just one of those rattie oddities thats eating away at my brain today :lol:

karen x

aquajen9

Re: Interesting one on siamese breeding

Post by aquajen9 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 am

The girls mum and dad both sealpoint but carried blue point. What i cannot understand is why one sister had blues and a large percentage and the other had none?

The same reason they didn't have the same number of babies, or the same number of each colour.. genetic differences.. percentages aren't always right!
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:22 am

aquajen9 wrote:

The same reason they didn't have the same number of babies, or the same number of each colour.. genetic differences.. percentages aren't always right!

Unless you has a litter from Summer x Nate :D
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Jembean wrote:
aquajen9 wrote:

Unless you has a litter from Summer x Nate :D

Ahh but I bet if you did it again they'd give you a litter of agoutis.. and one Cin :lol:
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:48 pm

I would be astonished considering one is dead! :lol:
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm

Virgin Mary ;-)

fuzzyfeet

Post by fuzzyfeet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 am

Lol! :lol:

Yes just one of those oddities i guess....such is the world of rats x

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:21 pm

guess it is a bit like i mated a blue agouti to a black and got 4 blue agoutis, 4 blacks and 3 agoutis - someone stole my blues... ;) Unfortunately genetics is one of these things that should follow perfect ratios in the ideal world, but in the real world, you are just as likely to end up with a litter that is completely skewed on the genetics. If you repeated the litters or did lots more on the same line and got the same, then yes maybe it could be something specifically different genetic going on, but one or two litters doesn't really give enough stats.

fuzzyfeet

Post by fuzzyfeet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Estelle.

Ive had to have Bobby castrated and he now lives with other neuters over at my mates so i wont get the chance to use him again. He has the same father as the doe i used but not the same mum and he wasnt bred here. I have the origional bes doe so it could be possible to track down and borrow one of bob's brothers i guess. This litter produced some stunning british blues. One doe in particular is extremelt typey,very pretty and .....i didnt keep her! silly me. I have the choice of having herback for one litter though so i guess thats possitive :D

Thats a futures thing as ive just done a bes pairing and i have the pregnant foster so enough to keep me busy for now.

karen x