To breed or not?

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
mupsy

To breed or not?

Post by mupsy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Now i know there are many many rattys needing homes right now, but i was having a passing thought about breeding my girly harry.
My friend has a buck who is a black hooded, and harry is a champagne hooded.. is there anyway to tell the outcome of colours by this information or would i have to look back through the breeder lines? (which is impossible as harry is a rescue) Im not really fussed about colours, but im looking to extend our ratty family and felt having an actual relative to harry would be nicer when it comes to when she passes.. I'll still have her blood with me if that makes sence.

Then again im torn between doing this and rescuing more abandoned rattys.. Of course i wouldnt carelessly just leave harry with the buck, id find homes for a possible litter and get the right cages and stuff before even putting them near eachother.

I can't decide, but i just.. im a softy for all these eeper pictures and i really want to experience it.. but i know there are many more rats who need the help first..

:-?
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.

aimlessdesire

Re: To breed or not?

Post by aimlessdesire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:49 pm

I suggest you take a read of the following
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... t=deciding

I then suggest you take a look at the number of rats currently up for rehoming ? If you imagine that your mating produces 10 babies, that's 10 of those rats that are left in rescue who could have been rehomed.

Breeding, in my opinion, should be done for the right reasons. If you are wanting to raise a litter purely for the experience then try contacting a rescue or a breeder, get to know them and ask them if you can foster a litter.

You will probably also find that both rats were homed on a non breeding contract, and breeding from rats from unknown lines to me doesn't further the rat fancy, and is unnecessary when there are plenty of breeders with rats from known lines with good health and temprements.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I really wouldn't recommend breeding from Harry. I don't know where she was rescued from, but if she came from a rescue centre, or a rescuer on here, I'd imagine she would have come with a strictly non breeding contract anyway.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 pm

non breeding contracts aside, although harry might be in good health and have good temprement, but with an unknown ancestory, there could be some pretty nasty health issues lurking in their past, rearing their ugly heads in your litter, which would be very sad :(

carney

Post by carney » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Not. There are far too many rats needing homes at the moment and the fact that you don't know the background of the boy means that you don't know if there is a history of health problems. Plus, most rescues rehome with a strict non breeding contract. I would strongly advise against it - as well as the above, there is also the risk of not being able to rehome all the babies. There are just too many babies and adults in rescue. I have 12 babies here from 2 rescue litters that will need rehoming soon, but I have seen from the rehoming threads that even babies aren't being snapped up at the mo :(
Formerly yappy

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Yappy you may find it easier to rehome as there are a lot less rescue babies up north compared to the number that are in the south. Between the ones that myself, Jen, Kim and Laura had I think there were over 65 babies to find homes for, but I think most of them have now found homes, and most before they reached 6 weeks.

I would definately recommend putting them up for rehoming early, I listed mine at 2 weeks and as a result all but 3 boys had homes to go to at 6 weeks, and the boys had a home but it feel through.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

ratoonratz

Post by ratoonratz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 pm

I would say defiantely not this time, but if you would like to consider breeding rats you have the right sort of attitude by looking for advice rather than jumping in, so well done for that :)

I breed, and I have had my heart broken alot this year with rats I have bred being unhealthy - despite going above and beyond the call of duty when trying to select parents who are healthy and from healthy backgrounds. However i have a goal of making healthy rats with excellent temperment - I will succeed and I have succeeded in some ways already.

If you do consider breeding, I am sure everyone will be more than happy to help you - if you have any questions or need any guidance - feel free to drop me a line :)
Lizzi and the Rats at Ratoon Stud - Breeding for russian blue agouti essex and russian siamese
*Love all my ratties more than life itself :hearts:*
~Galaxy~ forever in my heart and dreams - part of me went with you - until we meet again xxx

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 pm

It's great, as Ratoonratz said, that you are looking for advice on breeding, rather than just doing it anyway, or pretending you've had an accidental litter etc. I totally understand where you are coming from, regarding the draw of eepers and wanting something of your girl to live on with you...who wouldn't, it's why we have kids for ourselves isn't it?

However, for me that's the same reason why I won't breed (animals or humans, in case you are wondering, but let's stick with rats here ;) ) to me it seems selfish to breed because we want to carry on a line of say, our favourite rat's DNA. If I'm being honest here, there's nothing more than I would have loved is to have had some 'baby Gumbos' my rat who was pts in April. But after Rowdy, Gumbo's surviving brother has now found some friends and living quite happily with them, I see his influence on them, and how they mimic him, learn things from him and treat him like a brother where I am happy that Gumbo, and rowdy like him haven't bred (let alone their health problems all the boys I had from that litter (of 4) had ).

Some rescues let you foster a litter when a mother comes in pregnant, I have 2 babies from someone who fostered a mum and her litter, and they are amazing, so it shows you can get the experience of 'rearing a litter' and have a very much loved rattie influence unrelated rats, without adding to the problem of over population.

I don't want to sound harsh, just sticking in my £2.50's worth ;) and scritches to Harry, she sounds like a special girly :girly:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

csi

Post by csi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

If you imagine that your mating produces 10 babies, that's 10 of those rats that are left in rescue who could have been rehomed.

Surely that goes for any breeder though, ethical [which is of course a personal point]and 'approved', or not.
Personally I hate hearing that trotted out, especially when followed by
Breeding, in my opinion, should be done for the right reasons.

whenever someone new wants advice to 'break in' to breeding circles

What are the right reasons? If, as stated, every purpose bred rat denies a rescue a home then thats ALL purpose bred rats, even those considered ethically bred for the furtherment of rats as a species. Otherwise,surely, it's a hypocritical statement
[please no-one take that as a personal attack, Ive just used the quotes as an illustration of my POV]

Back to the OP

Mupsy, why not enjoy Harry and rescue some more, whilst looking further into the practicalities and ethics of breeding. it would be heartbreaking for you to find out too late that Harry's lines had an unknown genetic problem causing early death or malformation of babies. You could possibly end up losing her and any babies, would you want to risk that? [plus you have to factor in any genetics of the buck]

You obviously want to do it right,as shown by the asking for advice, so maybe take things slowly and really educate yourself before committing one way or another

Good luck with any decision you make :D
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:36 pm

csi wrote:
If you imagine that your mating produces 10 babies, that's 10 of those rats that are left in rescue who could have been rehomed.

Surely that goes for any breeder though, ethical [which is of course a personal point]and 'approved', or not.

Given that the OP said that she was torn between this and giving a home to some more rescues, I think it's a perfectly valid point.

csi

Post by csi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 pm

aimlessdesire wrote:
csi wrote:

Given that the OP said that she was torn between this and giving a home to some more rescues, I think it's a perfectly valid point.

I didnt say it wasnt though, I actually agree with that statement. I just believe that whilst any breeding is continuing there will always be rescues needing homes
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:45 am

I agree with all thats been said on here. Back in the day, when i first kept rats, i thought it would be lovely to have a nice litter of baby ODB's and seriously looked into getting a girly rat to do breed from. I'm now SO glad i didn't, as ODB has had real problems with myco from about the month after i'd thought about this. I don't think i could have lived with myself having brought a litter of babies into this world with as bad a health track record as he has.
Now i've got my bong, who is a breeder rat, and utterly perfect in health, temprement and type, and i still wouldn't dream of breeding from him (mainly as he's on a pet only contract, but aside from that, there are too many babies around that just aren't getting rehomed)

If you're determined to raise a litter, there are always pregnant fosters that you can take on, i've been offered a couple of foster litters now, and unfortunately they have always come at inconvenient times, so i've STILL not had that experience, but i'm being patient. Eventually, my time will come. Get in touch with local rescues and breeders (as many take on fosters too) and see if anyone can help you out.

daffee

Post by daffee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 am

Another 'no' from me.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

stacey_mike

Post by stacey_mike » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:10 am

I have 6,6 week old girls that need a new home, you only need to do a rat run, as i dnt drive.
Im Stacey Human mummy to Maddison and Chelsi
Ratty mummy to (boys)Jet,Jay,Badger,Toby,Bill,Jake(girls)Crumpet,Honey Bee,Rita,Blaze,Baby and Sky,Lilly,Rose and Princess!RIP Milo,Ben,No Name,Ming Ming! Doggy mummy to Missy and Stella and the cockatiel

mupsy

Post by mupsy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 am

Thankyou everyone, really thought hard about it and agree with all your comments as I don't know either backgrounds i feel its too big a risk to take.
Didn't realise its possible to foster pregnant does.. I will definately be looking into this once i have read up more about pregnancys and birth..

Just out of interest... IS there any way to guess on colours?

If there are no pregnant does to take on, i really dont mind taking on an older rat as satan has melted my heart :hearts:

Thankyou everyone for advising me
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.