Two ancient rats ...

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Soot

Two ancient rats ...

Post by Soot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Is there any chance a 3 yo tumour riddled girl & a 3.5 yo saggy testicled, HLD boy could live together?

I'm having serious trouble in my cages. The rescue boy, Athos is scared of anything that moves ... except for our old girl Millie, whom he adores (through the bars & in hand). Our old girl Millie has been ejected from the group and the neutered boys are vicious to her (several serious bites - see previous threads for photo evidence). The only rat who will stay with Millie is Fig ... but Fig misses her other friends.

So ideal world, Athod & Millie would live together :D

Any chance at all or silly to even think about it?

Thanks!
~~~~
Anna
< : 3 )~~~ Squeak from Munchkin, Splodge, Dusk, Treacle, Chubacabra, Birilium & Lithium
:hearts:
RIP Kira, Lexi, Bina, Holly, Tak, Ruffles, Ghost, Soot, Millie, Athos, Fat Leo, Clam, Fig & Mouse.

Giz

Re: Two ancient rats ...

Post by Giz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Aww, the poor things..
Im afraid I dont know the answer, but I thought your post could do with a bump to see if anyone else might be able to help.

Good luck, and hope your two little pensioner rats can find a good solution whatever the outcome!
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts:

daffee

Post by daffee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 am

I think there is conflicting evidence on whether rats have a menopause and when it might be. Although at their ages I would think it unlikely that they could successfully mate, it would be awful if they were put together and such a frail old lady did get pregnant :-? so I would be very much inclined not to risk it myself. Sorry I can't be more help.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Soot

Post by Soot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks for your comments.
It's a silly situation, because at heart I'm 99% sure they would be great together ... but that last niggling 1% is so dreadful that I'm hesitating.
Millie's groin tumours would probably prevent intercourse & she's a feisty little cowbag. *lol* Athos's testicles are like shrivelled raisins and he can't lift his bum off the floor .... but what if, what if?
~~~~
Anna
< : 3 )~~~ Squeak from Munchkin, Splodge, Dusk, Treacle, Chubacabra, Birilium & Lithium
RIP Kira, Lexi, Bina, Holly, Tak, Ruffles, Ghost, Soot, Millie, Athos, Fat Leo, Clam, Fig & Mouse.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 am

Soot wrote:Athos's testicles are like shrivelled raisins and he can't lift his bum off the floor .... but what if, what if?

What is his fur like? Does it still have that 'buck roughness' to it?
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Soot

Post by Soot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:11 am

Not sure what proper buck fur feels like? He's a rex without much fur left - he's a bit patchy but very silky soft. I've only had him a few weeks as he was a rescue. The plan was for him to be friends with our neutereds, but Athos is terrified of them because he can't see anything and they're very bouncy.

Athos
~~~~
Anna

neeshkabeesh

Post by neeshkabeesh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:10 am

I would never risk it, whatever their age. What about tardak for him? I don't know if it only treats aggression or if it makes them infertile too.
http://www.ratz.co.uk/tardak.html
Neesh (now ratless)
An end to MS
Brysons Animal Refuge, Tyne and Wear rehome rats, take a look under Rehoming > Choose an Animal > Small Animals

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 am

Hmm, him being rex doesn't help :lol: I was asking because in smooth coated boys I've had that have become infertile their fur has become unusually soft, and has developed a wave to it, making them look rexy ... the change from the rougher/course mature buck fur to the softer/wavier state is very noticeable ... but obviously that doesn't help you here.

I've had girls continue to come into season until after 3 years of age ... the real change seems to be the time in between seasons, rather than the seasons ever stopping completely, so I would be looking to establish if Athos is infertile if possible.

For those interested in the infertile male fur thing, meet Herbert.

As a youngster, he's quite clearly smooth coated;

At 13 months of age (unusually early) he became infertile and began looking like a bad rex;

Even got himself a curly whisker;

Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Soot

Post by Soot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

neeshkabeesh wrote:I would never risk it, whatever their age. What about tardak for him? I don't know if it only treats aggression or if it makes them infertile too.
http://www.ratz.co.uk/tardak.html

Thanks for the tip - have several options to discuss with vet.
It would just be nice for the two oldies to have each other so that my cages can return to normal.
We've had nothing but trouble in the big cage since Millie's sister died :(.
~~~~
Anna

Solar

Post by Solar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:07 pm

What a hard decision to make :( poor oldies. but I have heard once about a hld buck managing to father a litter and an old lady had a litter of 1/2 at 2 years. Its a pity you can't tell without trying them together :(
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:26 pm

tardak does not remove fertility, it only suppresses testosterone production.

With rats that age, chances are either or both are infertile, but there's always the odd exception to the rule and historically i know of a situation a number of years back where a 3 year old buck sired a litter with a 2.5 year old doe - she had already had a litter in her youth and only had the one kitten, which she raised fine.