Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
spoiled_rat

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by spoiled_rat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 am

i was talking about good breeders too :wink:

those who win stuff and all at shows...
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:02 am

MR was answering a question though (asked by sassy-rat), not asking one of her own :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm

When someone starts a sentence with "why" it's usually a question......
Emma & the furries x x

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:07 pm

spoiled_rat wrote:i was talking about good breeders too :wink:

those who win stuff and all at shows...

That doesn't mean that they are good breeders.
Emma & the furries x x

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:02 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:i don't think alison was arguing that, just answering the question posed of why other people might prefer rescue rats for themselves :)

Exactly Beri. That's why "why breed when you can rescue" in my above post is a statement and not a question. Those that know me know my views on that particular argument and which side of the fence I'm on.

Rattybabe wrote:This wasn't meant to turn into a breeder V rescue debate - I was merely answering MR's question "why breed when you can rescue?"

There was no question mark.

Rattybabe wrote:When someone starts a sentence with "why" it's usually a question......

Perhaps, but I would have put a question mark on the end of a question. My punctuation is usually pretty good.

The arguement is 'why breed when you can rescue', that is the argument against breeding. That is a a statement of that fact.
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

sassy-rat!

Post by sassy-rat! » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:49 pm

so is this now a war rescues against breeders?? lol OJ
but yes have half and half maybe :D
Made a link website to help new people find online shops, breeders and other links.
Still under construction.
http://rat-links.webs.com/

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 am

sassy-rat! wrote:so is this now a war rescues against breeders?? lol OJ

I think it always will be.
Emma & the furries x x

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:55 am

Rattybabe wrote:
julietm1977 wrote:Hi there i do know of a very good breeder in kent Bex Havard of Karnimata Rattery is lovely and a breeder with excellent ratty morals

Hope that helps also her fr name is RATMADBEX

Juliet x

Bex doesn't do Dumbos at the moment. I don't think there are any breeders in Kent or Sussex that do them. If you can go as far afield as Essex, Jo @ Epiphany breeds them, but she wont have any until the summer.

my mistake sorry and thankees for the correction Emma x
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:55 am

Rattybabe wrote:
julietm1977 wrote:Hi there i do know of a very good breeder in kent Bex Havard of Karnimata Rattery is lovely and a breeder with excellent ratty morals

Hope that helps also her fr name is RATMADBEX

Juliet x

Bex doesn't do Dumbos at the moment. I don't think there are any breeders in Kent or Sussex that do them. If you can go as far afield as Essex, Jo @ Epiphany breeds them, but she wont have any until the summer.

my mistake sorry and thankees for the correction Emma x
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 am

Rattybabe wrote:
sassy-rat! wrote:so is this now a war rescues against breeders?? lol OJ

I think it always will be.

I totally agree and this forum does seem biased to people getting breeder bred pets and from pet shops opposed to rescues !
I myself have all 3 well bred breeder rats from well respected breeders and members of this forum and rescues from good rescuers and pet shop bought rats and i am proud and love each and every one of them the same .

When i asked the same question on here Oct 2007 i was slammed for asking for breeders and not the hallowed rescues
(of which i have and will allways support every animal species needs good rescues) even though i had looked for a rescue and there was not one suitable or anywhere near me or before you say it rat train-able either. For this reason i sadly stayed away from here for a while and nearly didnt go to my first show and had it not been for a couple of members (Emma and Jules you know who you are) i may not have even attended my first show which by the way my lad won his class and he is a pet shoppy !

So my point is all rats however they enter this world deserve good loving forever homes and yes do please stone me for giving a opinion cos on thsi subject i really DO NOT care anymore

Original poster good luck in getting your new babies :D
Shakespeare Rats

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 am

julietm1977 wrote:I totally agree and this forum does seem biased to people getting breeder bred pets and from pet shops opposed to rescues !

From the FR Ethics -

Rats should be sourced only from people that promote the well-being of all pet rats, such as rescues and responsible breeders, or through rehoming for free privately.

We do not support the pet trade or rodent farming. Paying for rats in pet shops is not rescuing. We would encourage members to give their custom to outlets that do not sell animals wherever possible.

So perhaps the people in the forum are biased towards buying from a petshop but the forum itself isn't. Also we have a very busy rescue and rehoming section as well as a rescue coordination and fostering forum but we do not allow breeders to advertise their litters here for many reasons (for those not around long enough to remember why, it's just too difficult to police when breeders generally need no help homing babies as they have waiting lists and they have the NFRS and other club forums to advertise unhomed babies.) All breeders may list themselves in the directory though, which is arranged by geographical area to help finding a breeder near you easy.

Personally, I think FR supports both breeders and rescues as far as it can. As for the rehoming forum only for rescues, nobody can deny that rescue rats need more support than breeder babies in terms of finding a loving home.
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

LisaLQ

Post by LisaLQ » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:10 am

I dont think anyone was really questionning that - of course rescues need all the help they can get. What people seem very quick to do is slot breeders into the "dont rescue" slot and forget that many of us/them have indeed fostered, rescued and adopted themselves.

While I dont think FRs policy is anti-breeder, I do think some of the attitude on this thread is really rather hostile. Which is a real shame.

Life's not black and white. And no "good" breeder I've heard of lets their rats end up in rescue, winning shows doesn't mean you're a good breeder!

julietm1977

Post by julietm1977 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 am

LisaLQ wrote:I dont think anyone was really questionning that - of course rescues need all the help they can get. What people seem very quick to do is slot breeders into the "dont rescue" slot and forget that many of us/them have indeed fostered, rescued and adopted themselves.

While I dont think FRs policy is anti-breeder, I do think some of the attitude on this thread is really rather hostile. Which is a real shame.

Life's not black and white. And no "good" breeder I've heard of lets their rats end up in rescue, winning shows doesn't mean you're a good breeder!

See thats what i was trying to say well done Lisa :D

Also when i said forum it was implied that i was referring to the members rather than the forum and i still say from personal expereience FR is as a whole very biased towards rescue :angry:
Shakespeare Rats

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 am

julietm1977 wrote:When i asked the same question on here Oct 2007 i was slammed for asking for breeders and not the hallowed rescues

the bias towards rescues and against breeders causes an often hostile attitude towards breeders on threads on this forum and the reality is a large percentage of the "good" breeders don't come here or post here very often or at all any more, because they don't feel welcome here. At the end of the day, it is the general pet owners that lose out with the anti breeder, pro rescue attitude on here.

WitchyPants

Post by WitchyPants » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:03 am

sorry, have been offline...didn't realise such a debate was going on! lol

when i said i'm usually against breeders i didn't mean it as an insult, i just meant that personally i usually prefer to get all my animals from rescues, i usually think along the lines mentioned above, ie "why get from a breeder / pet shop etc when there are so many animals in rescues desperately needing homes". however, if i want a specific type of rat this time round then i'm aware i will have to go to a breeder.