Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
User avatar
sassy-rat!
Member
Member
Posts: 1388
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by sassy-rat! » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 am

Woh!
Ok out of all my rats i have some rescues but i do have alot more breeding rats..
why are breeders and rescues sort of against each other that aint right work together and jobs are done better faster and ive come back on the forum for like 4 days and i have seen so many threads go downhill its all against each other and some people grouped together. i noticed alot of members i had trouble with have not been online aswell.
Made a link website to help new people find online shops, breeders and other links.
Still under construction.
http://rat-links.webs.com/

User avatar
aquajen9
Member
Member
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: Cheltenham
Contact:

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by aquajen9 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:08 pm

so is this now a war rescues against breeders?? lol OJ


I think it always will be.


I rescue, and I breed. Typically I consider myself a breeder, but have more and more rescues coming here each year. I work with local rescuers, and local breeders. As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

User avatar
Woody
Member
Member
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by Woody » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:31 pm

It seems to be the way with some breeders that if you say something positive about rescues it gets taken to mean you are anti-breeders, even when that is far from the truth.

With that sort of sensitivity it is hard to have a reasonable conversation about it without people assuming it is a war.
This forum is clearly more concerned with rats as pets, compared to other places I have seen that are more concerned with rat breeding, which I guess may make breeders see this forum as more hostile. I know in the arguments I have had on the subject, by reading the replies it was clear that rather than reading what I had said, the thing that was picked up was some anti-breeder sentiment that I didn't have.

I have loved my breeder rats and my rescue rats just as much as each other
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

User avatar
vixen184
Member
Member
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by vixen184 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:53 pm

WitchyPants wrote:sorry, have been offline...didn't realise such a debate was going on! lol

when i said i'm usually against breeders i didn't mean it as an insult, i just meant that personally i usually prefer to get all my animals from rescues, i usually think along the lines mentioned above, ie "why get from a breeder / pet shop etc when there are so many animals in rescues desperately needing homes". however, if i want a specific type of rat this time round then i'm aware i will have to go to a breeder.


And good luck to you, hope you get a lovely pet soon !
http://www.campionrats.com
Campion Stud. Breeding russian blue in dumbo. Black and russian blue hooded in top ear.

User avatar
julietm1977
Member
Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: HORSHAM,WEST SUSSEX

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by julietm1977 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 am

vixen184 wrote:
WitchyPants wrote:sorry, have been offline...didn't realise such a debate was going on! lol

when i said i'm usually against breeders i didn't mean it as an insult, i just meant that personally i usually prefer to get all my animals from rescues, i usually think along the lines mentioned above, ie "why get from a breeder / pet shop etc when there are so many animals in rescues desperately needing homes". however, if i want a specific type of rat this time round then i'm aware i will have to go to a breeder.


And good luck to you, hope you get a lovely pet soon !



Absobloominglutely well said Vicks

Mars are breeding some nice ones venus too but that shuttle ride back to earth is a boooooger Lol
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

User avatar
tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:28 pm
Location: Tyneside
Contact:

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by tabirat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I think the reality might actually be that there is a moderately sized group of breeders who are outspokenly negative about rescues, and there is a moderately sized group of rescues/rescuers who are outspokenly negative about breeders. There is also a much bigger group of breeders/rescuers/owners in the middle who are positive about both rescue and good breeding. Almost all the breeders up north do some rescue too - some do a lot.

On any forum there will be a bias displayed in posts by the people who post them depending on how many members there are who belong to each of the above groups.

That doesn't equate to FR as a forum being anti breeding, that would be ridiculous given that almost half of the admin team are breeders and of those that are not at least one probably will become one. The forum as an entity gives more space to advertising rescues because we feel there is a gap to be filled which isn't filled elsewhere. And there isn't such a gap for breeder babies, but there are massive problems (as Estelle found out with the old rat kittens online advertising list) is having open advertising for 'breeder rats'. But we do have some breeder advertising (and always have had in the webdirectory), lots of breeder kitten threads in Your Rats, and a good selection of breeding realted articles in the information guides. So in reality it's that some (and by no means all) of the membership show a rescue bias - and surely that is their right (though not if they are aggressive in that position here) just as it is (your)/others right to show breeder bias (though not if they are aggressive in that position here).

I would apologise to Juliet if she was slammed for wanting to buy a rat from a breeder. Most requests for breeder details on here do actually end up with people receiving breeder recommendations in their area. If someone offers rescues along the way there's nothing wrong with that so long as it's done politely and not forcefully. Many people may not have considered the option and having all the options available to you is never a bad thing. Is it?
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

User avatar
julietm1977
Member
Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: HORSHAM,WEST SUSSEX

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by julietm1977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

tabirat wrote:I would apologise to Juliet if she was slammed for wanting to buy a rat from a breeder. Most requests for breeder details on here do actually end up with people receiving breeder recommendations in their area. If someone offers rescues along the way there's nothing wrong with that so long as it's done politely and not forcefully. Many people may not have considered the option and having all the options available to you is never a bad thing. Is it?


Thankyou very much Alison but there is no need for YOU to apologise at all but i do appreciate it very much

Best regards
Juliet
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

User avatar
julietm1977
Member
Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm
Location: HORSHAM,WEST SUSSEX

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by julietm1977 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

I just wanted to say i have rats from pet shops inc pets@home and from excellent breeders and from wonderful rescuers too and i love them all equally each one is special in its own way.

Loves my babies :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
1 Love for each ratling


Juliet x
Shakespeare Rats
Breeding healthy rats with excellent temperaments in Russian Blue, Black and Siamese.Sometimes Berkshire's in these varieties

User avatar
RatMadBex
Member
Member
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:36 am
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by RatMadBex » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 am

julietm1977 wrote:
Rattybabe wrote:
julietm1977 wrote:Hi there i do know of a very good breeder in kent Bex Havard of Karnimata Rattery is lovely and a breeder with excellent ratty morals

Hope that helps also her fr name is RATMADBEX


Juliet x


Bex doesn't do Dumbos at the moment. I don't think there are any breeders in Kent or Sussex that do them. If you can go as far afield as Essex, Jo @ Epiphany breeds them, but she wont have any until the summer.


my mistake sorry and thankees for the correction Emma x


To return to the reason for the OP and to put right the above statements, I'd just like to update this thread with the fact that yes I *do* now breed dumbos :D .
Proud owner of the Karnimata Rattery - http://www.freewebs.com/karnimatarats/

:love: Samara, Arthur, Norman, Mishti, Monisha, May, Mina, Mili, Gordon, Colin, Nigel, Derek, Dangerous Beanz, Doris, Edith, Ivy, Gladys, Lucas, Jasper, Kenny and Ian

User avatar
Love-rat
Member
Member
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Newcastle term-time

Re: Dumbo Rat Breeders in Sussex / Kent

Post by Love-rat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:45 am

I've read through this thread and found the issues raised quite interesting. Personally, I don't feel FR has a bias towards rescues. I certainly don't feel there is any favour toward buying rats from a petshop - the opposite in fact. The forum and people on it to my knowledge never look down on pet shops rats, it is nothing to do with thinking they are inferior, it is merely people trying not to support the trade. People are always going to fall in love with the odd petshop rat though, and I feel the forum as a whole understands this. I don't feel there is a bias towards rescues, I think it may seem that way because people mention them to members, because lets face it rescues need to advertising and public awareness is good. Sometimes members don't realise FR has its own rehoming board so members point it out, it is little things like this which helps to get rescues homed. I chose to get my rats from a breeder because I know that good breeders try to improve the health and temperament of the rats and I agree with the ethics of the breeder I chose. Personally I think it is important to realise there are some good breeders out there, working hard to improve the health of the rats they raise to make better, more long-lived pets. I chose a breeder so that I would have a better chance of a healthy rat. Rescues are just as likely to be friendly, as they recieve handling etc depending on where they are. It is just nice to know more about the rats background and know that they were bred in good conditions etc. etc. I will rescue in future, and I will also be getting more breeder rats in future. I never intend to buy a rat from a petshop, but I am not prepared to say it will never happen. I think the comment that there is a bias towards pet shop rats is false, and I feel that there is an equal weighting between breeders and rescues - though this may be because that is how I personally feel.
RIP Fuzz and Fuzzier: HKM Chomsky, my licky chomsk (re rbp smeeze) :dumbo: HKM Scabbers, my lovebug scabs (agouti rex) :smileyrat: Magic oh oh oh it's magic.. (black berky) :baby: and Pablo my bubi (minky berky) :baby:

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests