Feeder breeding discussion.

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
emokitty

Feeder breeding discussion.

Post by emokitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:32 am

Mod note: This thread has been split from here: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=116306

This thread is to be used for discussion on feeder breeding ONLY and not the OP's situation. People wishing to advise the OP, can do so in the other thread.

i think i can safely say noone here will advise you as a feeder breeder. who are i would say hated in the fancy rat community. *my opinon*
Owned by Ratchet, Rune, Zoro, Rambo, Pinky, Brain and Jasper

Gone but never forgotten - Reefer and Smokey

baz23

Re: breeding rats?

Post by baz23 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 am

I think you may be on the wrong type of forum to ask about feeder breeding :-?
Chris and the Urban rats
http://www.freewebs.com/urbanrattery
Breeding towards silver fawn and siamese.

browner93

Post by browner93 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:55 am

awww sorry people MODS please delete my thread
*Your signature breaches the signature guidelines, please read the guidelines. Thank you*

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 am

If you must breed rats for food then I personally see no harm (other people may well disagree with this) in you being here to learn about ethical breeding practices and care, as long as you don't discuss anything relating to feeder rats, I do believe that's against forum rules. Better that you do it properly with advice from people who really care about rats than to the same standards as most feeder breeders. For that reason:

Lots of useful information.
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

browner93

Post by browner93 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:43 am

I must say i do disagree to feeder rat breeders keeping them in tubs with nouthing but rats and not genraly clean conditions.
my rats are planning on being treated like pets and not objects,
i do wish not to offend any one on this forum :oops:
*Your signature breaches the signature guidelines, please read the guidelines. Thank you*

carney

Post by carney » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:39 am

I think that those who have said you are on the wrong board for rat care advice are wrong!!

I for one would prefer someone to come on here and seek the best advice for looking after their rats whilst they are alive, than them go onto a different type of forum and be advised to use a racking system and offer no enrichment!!
Formerly yappy

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:56 am

:o After you have reared a litter of rat pups lets see if you can feed them to a snake, of course I know it happens but I for one dont wish to see or hear about it on here. I come on this forum for the love of rats. There is enough information on these pages for you to peruse with out having to broadcast your intentions, thank you :angry:
Love is....a dumbo rat

carney

Post by carney » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:45 am

worthysmum wrote::o After you have reared a litter of rat pups lets see if you can feed them to a snake, of course I know it happens but I for one dont wish to see or hear about it on here. I come on this forum for the love of rats. There is enough information on these pages for you to peruse with out having to broadcast your intentions, thank you :angry:

Excuse me but the OP has been aware that he cannot discuss the culling of the rats on here. He wants care advice - why should he not be allowed to ask for it? It's a forum about rat care!
Formerly yappy

helensy

Post by helensy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:50 am

yappy wrote:I think that those who have said you are on the wrong board for rat care advice are wrong!!

I for one would prefer someone to come on here and seek the best advice for looking after their rats whilst they are alive, than them go onto a different type of forum and be advised to use a racking system and offer no enrichment!!

Well said!! To those who don't agree - what would you rather?

a) live in peaceful ignorance where feeder breeders don't ask for advice and keep their rats in tiny tanks with no stimulation fed on rubbish food until the time comes?

b) actually realise that some people do care (and yes, snakes have to eat too) and they want to at least try and enrich their rats life and give them a quality of life not usually afforded them?

To the OP - please do read the links and have a browse around. I hope you find the information you seek.
:love: Static, Nymph & Indy :love:
:rainbow: Storm, Kami, Ginny, Arian, Melfed, Saki, Snoffles, Mirage, Oasis, Hope , Pandora, Hex, Anie, Pheebs :rainbow: Together Again xx

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:57 am

There's a reason i like you Yappy... you said EXACTLY what i was going to post after the OP.
I'd rather that people came here to seek advice on ethically raising feeder rats than go to a reptile forum that would tell you its ok to keep them in tiny tubs.
Snakes need to eat, and i've got the utmost respect for people who go the distance to ethically raise their own 'food' rather than go to the petshop where you can get them conveniently frozen.

To the OP, i've not really got anymore to add than what is linked to in betterstar's post, that link pretty much says it all.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:58 am

The forum rules state:
Breeding feeders
We do not condone the practice of intensively breeding rats for food, but we accept that the welfare of all rats takes priority. Therefore we will allow discussion pertaining to the ethics, husbandry and care of these rats. We still ask that methods and descriptions of euthanising feeders is not discussed here, this includes all feeder animals. This is primarily a forum about pets, and there are plenty of other forums to discuss this topic.

and:
Respect of fellow members
Fancy Rats Forum should be a place where people can come to learn about rat care no matter what their current position is. Members ask questions to be helped, not judged. 'Ganging up' on other member's will not be tolerated. Where a member's views are in conflict with the ethics of Fancy Rats other members are reminded that attitudes are more readily changed by gentleness and education than argument and attack.

If the OP wishes to breed rats, then it is far better that he is open about his reasons - it avoids speculation, and allows suitable advice to be given.

Josh - the link that Betterstar gave you will be helpful, as will reading through the Fancy Rats Guides. In a nutshell: you will need two large main cages one for bucks and one for does (they shouldn't meet except when you wish them to mate, and then only overnight in most cases), a low level birthing cage (one mum at a time) which can also be used as a mating cage, a larger cage for the babies as they grow (from around 3 weeks), and a second larger cage for when the boys are split from the girls at 5 weeks. The rats will need a good diet, a stimulating cage environment, free range time daily, and vet care when necessary. I believe they should also be housed in a separate part of the house from your snakes to prevent stress. If you have further questions regarding the husbandry of your rats, please feel free to ask.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am

No where did I say he wasnt or shouldnt be allowed to ask for advice. I was just pointing out that I find it upsetting to discuss on this type of forum. The pages here are full of rat care, help and advice, whether you keep rats for the love of them or to feed to other animals. I just can not see why it is needed to broadcast for what purpose he is going to breed rats for. This is my opinion and personal feelings only. :angry:
Love is....a dumbo rat

helensy

Post by helensy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 am

I find it more upsetting when people don't ask because they simply don't care about the rat's welfare - at least the OP cares and wants to do right by the rats whilst they're in his care. I'd rather he was up front about his plans then deceitful to be honest. I appreciate it's an emotive topic and I'm probably coming across ice queen style but I'm just being objective in my view.
:love: Static, Nymph & Indy :love:
:rainbow: Storm, Kami, Ginny, Arian, Melfed, Saki, Snoffles, Mirage, Oasis, Hope , Pandora, Hex, Anie, Pheebs :rainbow: Together Again xx

sulumac

Post by sulumac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 am

i think its much better people come here for advise and to learn about how to look after thier rats properly..

as somebody said, snakes are always going to need to eat.
:dumbogirly: Girlies: Medusa, Pinky, Kali, Nala, Blue and ickle Ruby :dumbogirly:

:love: Boys: Bert and Ernie :love:

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:37 am

I don't think he's deliberately 'broadcasting' his plans to upset people, its obvious from the OP's response he genuinely didn't mean to offend anyone and really was just asking a question, there's no need to get angry. Compared to the attitudes some reptile owners/feeder breeders have he was really being quite nice.
The idea does upset me but if a person has a snake that needs to eat I respect people that try to do it as ethically as possible instead of going to a pet shop and buying frozen ones that have been raised in terrible conditions. This forum is the perfect place to find out how to do that.
It does happen and you can't just blot it out.
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(