advertising rats safely

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
kylieandnatty

advertising rats safely

Post by kylieandnatty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:50 pm

where do breeders advertise for a good/safe home? There's preloved and vivastreet but I've heard bad things about them. But if there is a site especially for it I'd love to know.

Note: text has been removed from this post because it was in breach of forum rules - the availability of purposely bred rats may not be discussed on the Fancy Rats site. The text in blue has been added in order to keep the sense of the question, and allow legitimate debate on this topic, however please keep all replies within the rules.
loving my sweet girls Pixie,Evie,Misty,Toulie,Strawberry and Gabriel (aka gooby) lots of loves to my boys as cool as ever Ziggy,Dewy, old man Bilby and baby Scooby

MistressSadako

Re: advertising rats safely

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 pm

I don't think a lot of breeders on here "advertise" as such, as most operate with waiting lists and don't tend to have a lot of "excess" rats.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 pm

We find that our website brings a lot of interest, also working in conjunction with other trusted breeders, and advertising on the NFRS for which you need to be a member. Generally you start to build a waiting list, compiled after completion of an application form, and offer to them first.
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk

kylieandnatty

Post by kylieandnatty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm

I've never had excess rats,I put a speculative advirtisement out, thing is im worried what a few people have said about preloved, I want them to go to homes to people who know what they're doing with rats,just wondered if theres a site for people who are looking for rats who have had them before and will appreciate the healthy breeding and good tempermant
loving my sweet girls Pixie,Evie,Misty,Toulie,Strawberry and Gabriel (aka gooby) lots of loves to my boys as cool as ever Ziggy,Dewy, old man Bilby and baby Scooby

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

kylieandnatty wrote:I've never had excess rats,I
You just said on another thread that you rehomed any rats that were left with family and friends? I'm certainly no breeder but I think that the reputable breeders on here find homes for their rats by being just that - reputable! Anyone who really cares about where their rats are coming from will be interested in knowing as much as possible about a breeder which is a where a website comes in handy and (as mentioned) working with other reputable breeders. Personally, i wouldn't want to take rats from someone that I didn't know personally, and completely agree with their ethics and breeding plans, so even just getting to know people/attending shows etc would help i'm sure!

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Are you breeding any particular variety? It is always worth asking specific questions of potential new owners, which is why we use a form, it seems to us to be the easiest way of getting some background. Do you have a good strong line that you are breeding from, so that you can trace any health or temperament problems within that line.
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 pm

The problem with preloved isn't that it's a bad place to advertise rats, it's that the majority of the people who advertise there are bad. This means that there are two things that can happen, either all of the good breeders don't advertise there because they don't want to be associated with the bad, meaning that the potential owners who happen to look there only have the option of bad rats, without the potential to find a good breeder who will educate them. Or good breeders decide to brave it out helping more owners find out what a really well bred rat is like, and teaching them what good breeding means.

Personally I would rater see more good breeders advertising there. at them moment it seems to be mainly excess pet shop stock, but there really is no reason not to advertise that you are ba breeder and that people can get on your waiting list there. It's certainly one of the best places to find first time ownerswho need a little more information.
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

kylieandnatty

Post by kylieandnatty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:34 pm

ooooh i wouldn't call the ones i give to my friends and family excess rats, if they didnt have a home to go to,then yes.umm im not a proffessional breeder I wouldn't know what to do with shows or how to show good breeding I only have pics and made a log of them.I wouldn't know where to start, I would love to go to a rat show but I dont think they would be good enough as my dumbos fur change colour, black to blue ,beige to white and grey to white, that would disqualify them wouldn't it? lol all i know is that they are healthy and when they pass away its usually from old age. And are very very affectionate!I'm sad all i want is for people to experience the joy of these ratties,I did used to breed top eared but Im only breeding my dumbo doe one last time this year.(i only breed one twice a year) That is a good idea to set up my own site, i didnt think of that :D

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 pm

yoshimi wrote:Or good breeders decide to brave it out helping more owners find out what a really well bred rat is like, and teaching them what good breeding means.

Personally I would rater see more good breeders advertising there. at them moment it seems to be mainly excess pet shop stock, but there really is no reason not to advertise that you are ba breeder and that people can get on your waiting list there. It's certainly one of the best places to find first time ownerswho need a little more information.
I agree with that, and wish also more good rescues would `advertise` on there too....yes really :lol:

When most newbie owners want a rat(s) they think of petshops or a breeder(often a byb) as they have no idea that decent breeders or rescues exist.
They have no idea what consititutes as an ethical breeder and what is a `bad` one, and without actually making them aware, how can people reach the alternatives?

Preloved/freeads etc are great places to get people away from petshops/rodent farming and BYB, and i think if more people used that type of site to advertise and illustrate to people the alternatives....it would certainly take a nice chunk of profit and demand for the unethically bred rats and suppliers :wink:

I use preloved to advertise the rescue rats here, and all are screened as any prospective owners are, and there are some lovely people out there who use that kind of site but before seeing ads for rescue rats etc, have no idea that there is an alternative to petshops and BYB.

The way i see it, the more people who put ads on there who are reponsible breeders or rescues and show people an alternative, the more `custom` is taken away from the dodgy advertisers, and that can only be a good thing :D

It also is good that instead of people wanting a rat on whim and a BYB supplying one on Preloved etc and then getting rid a month later as they cant look after them/bored, an ethical breeder or rescuer screens prospective owners and places rats in secure homes, and lets people know what they are in for, so less rats being re-advertised and rehomed.

This would certainly ease some burden on rescues.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

matt_m

Post by matt_m » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

There is nothing wrong with using places like preloved if you are selective in the "vetting" process and treat every enquiry the same way. People who genuinely will offer a loving home and an excellent standard of care do look on places like preloved. If there are no good breeders advertising they sometimes aren't aware of other places they can look and so they settle for what is available - and that's not always good. Partly it is about being misinformed or ineducated about back yard breeders.

I wouldn't personally have a problem using preloved or similar things because I would trust my own ability to choose good homes.
--Matt

LisaLQ

Post by LisaLQ » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Gone are the days when if you wanted a pet you looked through the Adtrader or went to the pet shop. I think we dont give credit where it's due - the size (and ongoing expansion) of the memberlist here shows that those who come online dont only visit Preloved, they google search for rat or pet forums too.

When I started out breed relatively recently, I had to push to fill my waiting list by posting piccies on all the rat forums I could, and setting up my website, and had help from other breeders passing on owners to me that they couldn't help etc. Now that more people have seen the website and noticed pics on these forums etc - my waiting list is more than healthy enough without pushing as much.

I think it's part of the job - you have to go out and market yourself initially. IMO there's nothing wrong with using Preloved to do this if you do so responsibly (eg. advertising the rattery rather than the litters, and vet every home that applies - as any good breeder would no matter the origin of the interest). However, I wouldn't use Preloved purely because of the attitude of many people towards those who do. It is an automatic assumption that those who advertise there breed irresponsibly (eg "They cant have a waiting list or vet homes if they need to use Preloved").

I wouldn't mind being able to put an ad for our rattery in the pet shop to show people there is an alternative, but I think the pet shop would mind :lol:

BazTheRat

Post by BazTheRat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:49 pm

kylieandnatty wrote:ooooh i wouldn't call the ones i give to my friends and family excess rats, if they didnt have a home to go to,then yes.umm im not a proffessional breeder I wouldn't know what to do with shows or how to show good breeding I only have pics and made a log of them.I wouldn't know where to start, I would love to go to a rat show but I dont think they would be good enough as my dumbos fur change colour, black to blue ,beige to white and grey to white, that would disqualify them wouldn't it? lol all i know is that they are healthy and when they pass away its usually from old age. And are very very affectionate!I'm sad all i want is for people to experience the joy of these ratties,I did used to breed top eared but Im only breeding my dumbo doe one last time this year.(i only breed one twice a year) That is a good idea to set up my own site, i didnt think of that :D
Sounds like you're breeding roans to me! :D

http://www.nfrs.org/types.php?type=marked

Scroll down to see roans.
Naomi and four furry flatmates - Linnet, Starling, Lilly and Bea.

"This concept of wuv confuses and enrages us!" - Lurr, Ruler of Planet Omicron Persei 8.

kylieandnatty

Post by kylieandnatty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:02 pm

omg you may be right there lol,i didn't know there was a breed of dumbo roans lol.I'm breeding a top class rat and i never even knew lol.I really should research my breeds , I do genuinley care about how cuddley and healthy they are though,maybe i could enter them in a show I'll up,upload pics and see what everyone thinks :)

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:31 pm

kylieandnatty wrote:omg you may be right there lol,i didn't know there was a breed of dumbo roans lol.
Dumbo rats are no different to top eared rats apart from the fact their ears are set lower. All varieties that you see on a top ear can be found in a dumbo, this goes for coat types too.
kylieandnatty wrote:I really should research my breeds ,
I think you mean varieties 8) ALL pet rats everywhere are the same breed or species and are exactly the same genetically bar the small differences that will determine their colour etc. Different colours/coat/ear types are knows as varieties.