help

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
splinter&barry

help

Post by splinter&barry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 pm

hi i bought 2 male rats a month ago and as it turns out 1 is actually a female, and pregnant well i think she is, i took them backto the pet shop and the on site vet checked her over, shes fine, but i could no part with either of them or give them back, far to fond on them now and really tame. so decided to keep them, got the male booked in for the snip next week. as i alredy think she is pregnant i need sum advice on what to do next??? can i keep them 2gether and just see what happens? ive heard so many different things i just dont know what to believe or do!? help me......

Snippet

Re: help

Post by Snippet » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 pm

I'd seperate them now. Male rats are fertile for up to 2 weeks after they've been neutered. Get mummy rat a single level cage with a small bar spacing to have her babies in.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

splinter&barry

Post by splinter&barry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 pm

i dont think shes hav them for at least another week, so i myt separtate them in a few days what happens in u leave them 2geter? the man in the pet shop said that leaving them 2gether was ok as long asi kept and eye on them? so for says sake i separated them 2nyt, she has babies can i re-introduce them wen the babies get older an i find homes for them or can that not be done? obviously by this point the male rat will hav had the snip for at least 6 weeks......

Note: Textspeak is not allowed on the forum as it can be distracting and cause issues for other members in understanding the content of a post. Please use standard English.

Solar

Post by Solar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

The problem being is she could have the babies while you are out or sleeping, males can impregnant females striaght after giving birth! It only takes a second, even if you kept a close eye on them it's a case of blink and you've missed it.

Also as they are petshop rats you really don't know when she is going to drop, generally if they start to look really pregnant they're ready to drop. It's better to be safe then sorry and cause mummy health problems and stress by not only having a litter while she's a baby but having two striaght after one another.

You can introduce them back together once the babies are 6 weeks old. But after two weeks of him being neutered, you can let mum and dad play outside the cage. It'll be sad he'll have to be alone for that long though. :( that'll be the hard part.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

splinter&barry

Post by splinter&barry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm

so in your recommendation would u separate them wen she luks like shes going 2 pop, then get him the snip then 2 weeks ater let them play out 2gether and the babies just stay in there lil home, till there5-6 weeks?

Note: Textspeak is not allowed on the forum as it can be distracting and cause issues for other members in understanding the content of a post. Please use standard English.

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 am

Im no expert but i personally would separate mum and dad now, get mum a cage thats big enough for her but at the same time is a one level cage and small enough bars that the babies don't escape when they're tiny.. remembering that they can squeeze through the tiniest of gaps.. and then if you can get dad another male rat to live with so he's not on his own for 6 weeks.. then when the babies are 6 weeks old.. you will be able to re-introduce mum and dad and the other rat.. but if you get another male you might want to consider getting him neutered or you could just get dad neutered and then get him a female rat.. but you wouldn't be able to get another female until 2 weeks after his operation.. he'll need time to recover..

soo pretty much what the others have said haha...
Poppy- Dog //Dusty & Freddie- Hamsters//JoJo(RIP), Archie, Oscar(RIP), Lenny, Yellow Lady, Hoppy, Zoppy(RIP) and Sparky- Budgies//Goldfish// Bobby, Charlie, Dylan, Sammy, Sarky, Jupe- Ratties :D

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:08 am

splinter&barry wrote:so in your recommendation would u separate them wen she luks like shes going 2 pop,

No, I'd recommend separating them now - even if she doesn't look to you like she's about to pop, she could do, and as has been said, if the male is still with her she will be impregnated again (not good for her, either set of babies, you, or your wallet!).

Some people in your situation have been able to get extra cages free from the petshop because they are to blame, so if you don't have suitable cages, that's worth trying. You will need a low level cage for mum and babies, and another cage for the boy babies to move out into at 4.5 weeks
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

PrideRavyn
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by PrideRavyn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 am

Not only is there the chance that he could impregnate her again immediately after birth, but male rats also have a higher incidence of infanticide and there's the possibility that if she gave birth with him in the cage, he could seriously harm or kill any or all of the babies while you were out.

It's just not worth the risk either way - if she looks pregnant then there's every chance that she could be due in the next couple of days, or even sooner if she isn't having a big litter, and she needs peace and quiet to be making herself at home in her nursery cage. Once he has had the snip, after 2 weeks he can be reintroduced to her at playtimes etc (but not the babies until they are 6+ weeks).
Ali and the Rodden Breck!
Brecklagh Rattery - Breeding for Variegated and related markings in Russian Blue and Black

A STATEMENT regarding Melanistic Agouti and our breeding plans.

splinter&barry

Post by splinter&barry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

well its Happened on thursday my rat had its babys after vet saying she didnt think she was pregnant. they all seem to be doing fine. What is the next step all help and advive is mucho apprechated

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:42 am

Had you removed the buck before the birth?
Mary x

splinter&barry

Post by splinter&barry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:04 pm

yeh i took the female out and put her into a more suitable cage and gave her stuff to make it all cozy, and the very next day when i was out she had them! wasnt expecting her to it was just luck and good timing. the babies are 8 days old 2day, mother and babies are looking good and the babies are beautiful, no miss haps up 2 now, been bring her out for little breaks and cuddles. the male is in the big cage on his own but have him out all the time, he was at the vets yesterday having the snip and he's doing great (he's being spoiled!). Think for a first time grandma im doing good, just lookin for abit of advice what to do next like when do i check the babies out...ect

sharplady

Post by sharplady » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm not any kind of expert - not having been a ratty granny! But I do know that you need to handle the babies from a very young age. Are you following the guidelines on here about feeding? There's heaps of great information about feeding new mums and babies when they start to wean

Good luck with them!
Chief yoggie-slave to Johnny Cash (the Rat in Black), Bobby Mcgee, lang, Gaultier and Buddy

In my heart - Pancho and Lefty: Woody and Hank; Jim; Darby and Casey

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm

splinter&barry wrote:when do i check the babies out...ect

Do you mean handling them? It's best to handle them daily from birth, so if you haven't yet, get started today. :wink:

By this age you should aim to be having the babies out for a cuddle once or twice a day for around 10 to 15 minutes (because they have fur and won't get cold). If mum isn't happy with that, then pop her in a carrier with a yummy meal. :D
Mary x