URGENT: Hand feeding 2 babies or foster mum needed.

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Sara_C

URGENT: Hand feeding 2 babies or foster mum needed.

Post by Sara_C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 pm

We had two female rats brought into work (PAH) who had litters - one of 8 babies and one of 12. Both mums were doing great up until today when the mum of 8 killed 6 of her babies. The kittens were coming up to three weeks old and had opened their eyes. We don't know why she has done this, she was a great mum but she was suffering from an infection in her eye, so we suspect that handling her daily in order to administer antibiotics and anti-inflammatories may have stressed her out.

I've raised three litters before, but have never been in a situation like this. The babies are on a heat mat at the moment, away from mum. My first instinct was to feed lactol, in the smallest dropper/teat we could find, but I don't actually have a clue if this is right or how to go about nursing a baby rat. They haven't had a feed yet, they are booked in to see our vet soon (he's very rat savvy but I have no idea if he will know what to do either).The babies are being brought home tonight so I can give them their regular (2hr?) feeds.

The only other thing I can think to do is find a foster mum in the area that we can put these two babies onto. We can't put them on the other mum as she already has 12 babies, and they have enough on cometing with each other for a nipple as it is. We live in Manchester but are willing to travel wherever necessary if someone does have a nursing mum that could manage two more.

I know their chances aren't great but I can't bear to just watch these two babies fade away. They have been through so much and are so lucky to still be here, I'm willing to do anything necessary to save them. Please get in touch if anyone can help. My number is 07904187877.
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

LisaLQ

Re: URGENT: Hand feeding 2 babies or foster mum needed.

Post by LisaLQ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

If they're 3 weeks old, they should be starting to wean? So for now popping in plenty of wet food (porridge, lactol, bread, EMP etc) might help - although I have no experience of hand rearing 3 weeks old so hopefully someone might have more advice. Wish I could help but my next litter is due in a few days and they'd need someone with a 3 week old litter presumably. :???:

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Sara_C wrote:The only other thing I can think to do is find a foster mum in the area that we can put these two babies onto. We can't put them on the other mum as she already has 12 babies, and they have enough on cometing with each other for a nipple as it is. We live in Manchester but are willing to travel wherever necessary if someone does have a nursing mum that could manage two more.

I would just foster them onto the other mother if she will have them, 14 isn't a lot of babies and as Lisa said, they will be eating solid food now. Have you watched them try food yet? Often baby rats are 'gumming' food before their eyes are even opened. By three weeks old they should be running around and really eating some things, although still feeding from Mum too.
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise that 12 wasn't too many - I know rats can have a lot more but I didn't want there to not be enough milk to go around, if that makes sense.

They had just opened their eyes on saturday. I've not seen them gumming on any food yet. There's always kitten food, kale and other veggies down in the cage, along with their normal dry food, but I haven't seen them trying any.

I have just had a PM saying that Stacey in Preston has a mother with only one baby, so hopefully she will be willing to foster them. Do you think it might be worth putting them on the other mum with 12 in the meantime? Is it as straightforward as just popping them in with her? Is there any risk of her attacking them or rejecting them?
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 pm

There is a risk, but generally they are good mothers. It depends how quickly you can get them to the other mother as they won't last too long alone. It sounds like they are nearer two weeks than three weeks, in which case it's more important that they have a mother. If you want to put them in with the other mother I would rub them down with nest material from the other nest then put them in with the babies before you put the mother in. Then just watch her.

All animals that lactate will just produce more milk in response to an increase in demand :D
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Brill, thanks :) Yeah I think they are nearer 2 weeks - they were born on the 21st Jan. I can't believe the day I'm not at work something like this happens. I am ringing one of the guys there and telling him to put the babies on the other mum, he is freaking out a bit though and is worried she will turn on the babies.

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Managed to convince him to put the two babies on the other mum - they are feeding well, so panic over! They are going to Staceys tomorrow to her doe that has only had one baby - he is a similar age too, so it's perfect!

Thanks for your help everyone :)

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Sara if they're happy there it might be best to just leave them? Don't want to stress them by making them travel more - especially since only 1 or 2 of Lotties nipples are in use, the others have dried up since they're not being stimlated.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Apparently they are feeding well from their foster mum, so fingers crossed they will make it. I think they will be coming home to live with me if they do :love: Lucky little guys.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 am

MistressSadako wrote:Sara if they're happy there it might be best to just leave them? Don't want to stress them by making them travel more - especially since only 1 or 2 of Lotties nipples are in use, the others have dried up since they're not being stimlated.
I'm sure I've read that nipples can come back online if they are suckled? Does only have 12 nipples so might be better trying them with lottie?
And gets friends for harry ;-)...

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 am

I very much like the idea of friends for Harry, but I don't want to take them away from somewhere that they're being fed to take them somewhere where they possibly won't be. And selfishly I'm a bit worried about Harry being pushed out if he can't complete with older babies for the milk :-?
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 am

I wouldn't take the risk of nipples not coming back into action, so I'd leave them where they are. Harry could make friends with the other little boys at 5 weeks. :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 am

Fair enough :) sounds sensible.. i was a bit doped up last night, sorry :oops:

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 am

I think it would be great for Harry to have some playmates if Stacey is willing to take them when they are weaned :) From the description I've got of them I think they are two of the boys, but I am in on Thursday so will be able to have a look and say for definite then. If you don't want to take on two more Stacey they will just come and live here with me.