found a baby rat!!

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
sharkie28

found a baby rat!!

Post by sharkie28 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:58 am

Hi,guys
I'm new to this forum. I never kept a rat before but i found a baby rat today at the back of my house and i think it could be just few days old. After doing some research i found out that it must not be given cow milk. At the moment i have nothing to be given. And i can only get them tomorrow.
Is there anything i could do? I have treid rubbing his body to help him poo. But it does not seem to work.

I'm familiar with hamsters but not rats. Please help. I'm feeling so sorry for that little guy :(

Cadwedig

Re: found a baby rat!!

Post by Cadwedig » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:07 pm

I don't know a lot but I think keeping him warm is quite important - do u have a hot water bottle? When my boys have been ill I've filled a hot water bottle with slightly warmer than body temp water & left them on top of it. I know cows milk isn't appropriate but if I were u I'd try putting some water on my finger & seeing if he'd lick it off... unless u happen to have a syringe handy - that'd be better than a finger!
Where abouts are u? There may well be someone with more experience nearby! :luck:
Jo

:hearts: Rambo :oldbuck: & Lizzie :girly: & Bella :girly:
Rocky :halo: & Nutty :halo: :hearts:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 pm

If you dont have a hot water bottle, I believe filling a material pouch with rice and heating it in the microwave can be just as good.

I think the best option available is to find a foster mother who can take the rattie on. So you would need to find out if anyone close to you has a litter around the same age. Fingers crossed for you and the little one :luck:

ETA: This might be of some use to you
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:43 pm

You do really need to find a foster mother if you wish to try and raise him, I'm not sure what I would do in your situation about whether or not to try to help them, but hand feeding almost never works :(
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm

RetroLemons wrote:If you dont have a hot water bottle, I believe filling a material pouch with rice and heating it in the microwave can be just as good.
I think the best and easiest way to keep a baby warm is with your own body heat - pop them in a pouch of some sort hung around your neck so the baby is against your chest. I agree that a foster mum is the best chance the baby can have.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

lovinratz

Post by lovinratz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:26 pm

if you cant find anyone with a doe that is willing to foster a wild rat, and to be fair with all the sdav we have had i personally wouldnt want it in my rat shed, then the kindest thing is to have it pts rather than leave it to starve to death

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 pm

lovinratz wrote:if you cant find anyone with a doe that is willing to foster a wild rat, and to be fair with all the sdav we have had i personally wouldnt want it in my rat shed, then the kindest thing is to have it pts rather than leave it to starve to death
But people have been able to hand rear rats?
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:05 pm

i dont think its generally very successful though, and then what do you do with it once its weaned? release it? would it be able to live in the wild again?
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

lovinratz

Post by lovinratz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm

i think it would be illegal to release it...............not 100% sure on that though

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Where abouts are you based? x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

sharkie28

Post by sharkie28 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 am

I live in Asia. I have tried looking for any nests nearby but failed to have found any.
As for his food,i've tried giving soy formula but he just wouldnt drink. And i've tried rubbing his genitals to help him with toilet and that isnt working too.
Poor little thing.
Are there any chances that it could be carrying any disease?
Can i realease him to the wild when he grows up? My parents definitely wont agree me keeping it :(

sharkie28

Post by sharkie28 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:00 pm

My little rat which i found yesterday left just few minutes/hours ago. I found him in the corner of his box. I would have been happier if he grew up into a healtly beautiful boy/girl.
I dont know where i went wrong. Could it have been too warm because of the warm pack i placed in his box,or could it be because he did not drink because he didnt like the taste of the soy milk i gave him..i just don't know...i wish i could have helped him in some ways..
I just can't stop asking myself why did he have to suffer like this...
He brought the joy of taking care of a baby animal into me I wish i had him longer.
I never knew his gender but i kinda have a feeling it's a boy.

I'm so sorry,boy. I believe you'll have a better life in your next birth. And i'm really sorry i'm unable to help you. I'm sorry.

I dont know why,but i'm feeling so down...

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm sorry to hear he's gone :( You did what you could but the odds really were very much against you. {{{hugs}}}
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

maisy

Post by maisy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm sorry that he has gone but applaud you and think it's lovely that you tried to look after him, well done.. you should feel proud of yourself! :)
**hugs** xx
:hearts: all my little feet past.. your footsteps are my heartbeat :hearts:

miknicholl

Post by miknicholl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:59 am

Hi
if you dampen some cotton wool and wipe it over the babies private parts it should help it do its business, also you can buy little cartons of follow up human milk just warm it up alittle i think would be better than cows milk
Miknicholl