Anna's had babies!!!!!

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Anna's had babies!!!!!

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon May 30, 2011 10:45 am

Ratsruleok wrote:Well on the plus side I do have two zoozones they can go in a bit of ye oldy chicken wire on the top bars and they wont be in the same room as the girls either for double security.

Also Anna seems to spend alot of time out of the nest resting is this normal? I thought she would be mostly in with the babies but not so.
Every rat mum will behave as they choose - some stay in the nest all the time, others prefer to just visit - so long as the babies have good milk bands I wouldn't worry.

The zoozones are okay for birthing cages, but not for accomodation once babies are active because there are no climbing opportunities, and limited scope for furnishing or interaction, plus they aren't big enough. The boys need something to live in until they are 4 or 5 months old. Critter (2 or 3) cages aren't particularly nice but they are secure and reasonably cheap - they would provide better accomodation for the juvenile bucks. You can always sell on the extra cages once you no longer need them.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
Ratsruleok wrote:Well on the plus side I do have two zoozones they can go in a bit of ye oldy chicken wire on the top bars and they wont be in the same room as the girls either for double security.

Also Anna seems to spend alot of time out of the nest resting is this normal? I thought she would be mostly in with the babies but not so.
Every rat mum will behave as they choose - some stay in the nest all the time, others prefer to just visit - so long as the babies have good milk bands I wouldn't worry.

The zoozones are okay for birthing cages, but not for accomodation once babies are active because there are no climbing opportunities, and limited scope for furnishing or interaction, plus they aren't big enough. The boys need something to live in until they are 4 or 5 months old. Critter (2 or 3) cages aren't particularly nice but they are secure and reasonably cheap - they would provide better accomodation for the juvenile bucks. You can always sell on the extra cages once you no longer need them.

Well for my birthday I have £100 for new cages or cafe I am gonna add some more of my own money
I rather like to get another liberta explorer got one and Sebastian and Ceil love it, Anna and Sophie will be moved back in when Anna has had her babies weaned, she might take some girls with her back in with the move.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SS400_.jpg

Note: IMG tags removed from the above image. Hotlinks use another site's bandwidth and may lead to complaints
I quit as a accidental litter owner I dont appreciate the bullies who have spamed my thread with their poison
If you think I'm a liar fine I told the truth about it all because I wanted the help you made it clear I am not welcome please delete my account.

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Alright guys I want opinions should I get another liberta explorer http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294
or this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-cage-dar ... upplies_25
or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammal-Level-Ch ... supplies_9

I know what your wondering and I was going on holiday this year now I am not also was redecorating room now I am not so hence why I can afford it and them.
I quit as a accidental litter owner I dont appreciate the bullies who have spamed my thread with their poison
If you think I'm a liar fine I told the truth about it all because I wanted the help you made it clear I am not welcome please delete my account.

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Mon May 30, 2011 2:03 pm

If you already have an explorer I'd suggest getting another explorer or an SRS because then it makes it a bit more versatile for you. As each cage can be seperated to become an individual one, you could stack them, have them seperated and I seem to remember someone having managed to attach them side by side too. Plus you see explorers second hand a lot and can usually get them for around £100 :) .
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Jimi+Milo wrote:If you already have an explorer I'd suggest getting another explorer or an SRS because then it makes it a bit more versatile for you. As each cage can be seperated to become an individual one, you could stack them, have them seperated and I seem to remember someone having managed to attach them side by side too. Plus you see explorers second hand a lot and can usually get them for around £100 :) .
I got to be honest I fancied another explorer to, they are far superior cage wise and you can put so much furniture in them.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 pm

You could ask people on here to see if they have any spare barred cages i.e. furet plus, freddy, ruffy, mary, critters. Remember you'll need two barred cages for when the boys and girls get split. My last litter were raised in a ruffy so there was no need to switch cages but I added toys. Don't worry about mama feeding suckling babies in toys. My last mama used to feed her bubs in the sputnik and fuzzbutt cube :hearts:

I'd also go for another explorer. But you'd need to cover the hole in the cage adequately. I wouldn't use cable ties due to the fact you have already had escapee rats and my girls like to eat cable ties!

Also I'd bare in mind you have 13 rats of the same age. Which means in 18months/2 years time vet bills could become very costly. Not to mention the heart ache in loosing rats all around the same time.

You also need to bare in mind not all litters are evenly split. Ive known litters with just 1 girl, and 1 boy. And the rest of another sex. In this instance you'd need to cater for the lone baby with a same age play mate.. and also consider cage space.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Amzy wrote:You could ask people on here to see if they have any spare barred cages i.e. furet plus, freddy, ruffy, mary, critters. Remember you'll need two barred cages for when the boys and girls get split. My last litter were raised in a ruffy so there was no need to switch cages but I added toys. Don't worry about mama feeding suckling babies in toys. My last mama used to feed her bubs in the sputnik and fuzzbutt cube :hearts:

I'd also go for another explorer. But you'd need to cover the hole in the cage adequately. I wouldn't use cable ties due to the fact you have already had escapee rats and my girls like to eat cable ties!

Also I'd bare in mind you have 13 rats of the same age. Which means in 18months/2 years time vet bills could become very costly. Not to mention the heart ache in loosing rats all around the same time.

You also need to bare in mind not all litters are evenly split. Ive known litters with just 1 girl, and 1 boy. And the rest of another sex. In this instance you'd need to cater for the lone baby with a same age play mate.. and also consider cage space.

oh the hole I have a jewellry set with a welding kit, I welded some bars over my last one and its fine added to that a sheet of plastic from a trimmed lid and voila hole is covered.
Vet bills come off my savings account and in emergancies my over draft, I dont have any other vices than rats so money is not to much of a problem, not only that but most the dumbos are my grans so she pays for the rats as a whole to when its her turn.
if there is a case of one lone male or female I have cookie a boy and plenty of females so intros done they can move in if not I will let that one go for a home with maybe others or even get them neutured to join in with their brothers or sisters.
Really till the litter is sexed and gets passed week one there is not muchI can plan for ordering the explorer now and it says 28-40 days for delivery but is cheap so just got to wait and see.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon May 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Ratsruleok wrote:
Amzy wrote:You could ask people on here to see if they have any spare barred cages i.e. furet plus, freddy, ruffy, mary, critters. Remember you'll need two barred cages for when the boys and girls get split. My last litter were raised in a ruffy so there was no need to switch cages but I added toys. Don't worry about mama feeding suckling babies in toys. My last mama used to feed her bubs in the sputnik and fuzzbutt cube :hearts:

oh the hole I have a jewellry set with a welding kit, I welded some bars over my last one and its fine added to that a sheet of plastic from a trimmed lid and voila hole is covered.
Vet bills come off my savings account and in emergancies my over draft, I dont have any other vices than rats so money is not to much of a problem, not only that but most the dumbos are my grans so she pays for the rats as a whole to when its her turn.
if there is a case of one lone male or female I have cookie a boy and plenty of females so intros done they can move in if not I will let that one go for a home with maybe others or even get them neutured to join in with their brothers or sisters.
Really till the litter is sexed and gets passed week one there is not muchI can plan for ordering the explorer now and it says 28-40 days for delivery but is cheap so just got to wait and see.
Like people have already said you'd have to wait months to neuter. Rats need same age company to play with.

Re: the welding. Thats a good idea - although Its a bit of a permanent option and I'd like the option of reopening the cage in the future if needed. How did your rats get in with each other if its welded? :-?
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 2:59 pm

had them out to check for milk bands and general health, Anna was fine with me the whole time touched them all and the heating is on so nice and warm, put back seconds later belly check and health check as well as photo couldn't have been seconds.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon May 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Amzy wrote:How did your rats get in with each other if its welded? :-?
You're thinking of a different member (the one who divided their explorer using cardboard). :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon May 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
You're thinking of a different member (the one who divided their explorer using cardboard). :wink:
Probably. Seemingly lots of accidental litters at present. :roll:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Amzy wrote:
Cyber Ratty wrote:
Depressing really.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Amzy wrote:
Cyber Ratty wrote:

No no Cookie lived in a cruddy Leonardo cage with a lift out floor and a drawer underneath for the poop to fall through and be collected, the way it looks like he got out was he lifted out the bottom and forced the drawer open, not difficult to do sigh....
Anyway the rats free range in their rat room and Sophie and Anna go out then Sebastian and Ceil, I didn't know cookie had escaped and since Sophie always stays with me when its free range whilst Anna explores I am guessing he got her then, thats why cookie had to have a new cage and Sebastian got pregnant cause the stupid vet and breeder said her and Ceil were boys and they weren't.

Now cookie has had his knackers off he wont be getting any girls.

I think the accidental litter situation is simply down to bad breeders, pet stores and vets who haven't got a darn clue about sexing rats and trusting newbies believe these people who are essentially in a position of trust to advise them truthfully.

On the plus side people who have like me listened blindly to these idiots in the past now get second even third opinions before trusting them, hence why I ask alot of questions on here because I don't trust any vet/breeder/store clerk now.

As it is I am man uping going without a hols and room change to make sure they have the life and cage they deserve, missing a holiday means £300 goes into the rat health fund and that keeps being added to when I get my money each week.

I am not one of those eye roll situations its been a really bad month but I have learnt and I now have sympathy for the poor blighters on here who come for help because they were missold by some zitty idiot who didn't pay attention during his training, I really don't think they deserve the eye rolls or to be branded liars people make mistakes and look for answers here, thats why there probably seems so many but prehaps instead of the sarcasm we should help them and try and educate rather than have a go, since maybe like me they had the misfortune to trust someone who should have known better.

To error is human to forgive....well you get the idea sorry if this seems rantish but if people didn't care they wouldn't come here looking for help, to come looking for help and to admit a mistake is a brave thing to do and maybe you should all remeber how you were when you first started out NO ONE IS PERFECT.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Ratsruleok wrote:I think the accidental litter situation is simply down to bad breeders, pet stores and vets who haven't got a darn clue about sexing rats and trusting newbies believe these people who are essentially in a position of trust to advise them truthfully.
I lay the blame on both, was this litter not down to you not checking the cage thoroughly? It's one thing I always double, triple check with cages as I won't allow this to happen.

I also lay the blame on both as researching a pet before you buy it tends to mean you don't miss important things, such as sexing them.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Mon May 30, 2011 6:59 pm

RetroLemons wrote:
I lay the blame on both, was this litter not down to you not checking the cage thoroughly? It's one thing I always double, triple check with cages as I won't allow this to happen.

I also lay the blame on both as researching a pet before you buy it tends to mean you don't miss important things, such as sexing them.
when I looked in the cage his house was packed tight with bedding I assumed he was in bed so sue me.
I have a book by Nick Mays called The Proper Care of Fancy Rats the picture for sexing is unclear and I went to the vet to verify, if the vet had done his job or at least admitted he wasn't sure, but I trusted a vet who is supposed to be a qualified professional.
I did not allow this to happen but since your so clearly perfect you couldn't possibly understand that some people are capable of making mistakes also I highly doubt you do check your cages that often :roll: after all people can say anything they like online doesn't make it true.
Also I was told to keep a rats trust you never disturb its bed since this is where I assumed Cookie was and didn't fancy being bitten because I woke him.