Champagne/Buff... confused.

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Jimi+Milo

Champagne/Buff... confused.

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I had always thought both my boys were Champagne, although Cheech is slightly darker, but at the show on saturday a few people asked if he was a Buff (which I'd never heard of :oops: ). So I've been reading on the ners standards and its really confused me! I'm not sure if I've been reading something that is just relating to "show standards" or what the variety is in general though.

Champagne says warm beige with red eyes and Buff says warm magnolia with ruby eyes but they both refer to each other aswell :-? . I would say Chinos a warm magnolia and his brother warm beige but that would make Chino buff and his brother champagne wouldnt it? I'm pretty sure their eyes are the same colour which has confused me even more :lol: .

This is the best pic I have of them both together to compare, the flash turned his eyes into LEDs though :lol: .
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Ellie

Re: Champagne/Buff... confused.

Post by Ellie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 am

Ruby eyes will mean the eyes look almost black with a hint of red-that's buff, and on a Cham the eyes are pink. The pink eyed and ruby eyed are controlled by completely different genes.
Ellie, Paul and the Yabba Dabba Doo ratsxx
http://www.freewebs.com/yabbadabbadoorattery

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 am

That was probably me being a muppet. I did think that his eyes were too dark to be champagne - but then a discussion with other people told me that they can be really variable in shade - so you are probably right, and i was probably talking out of my hole. (see, there is a reason i am just a pet judge, and not a varieties one!) :oops:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 am

The coat colour of the two can be variable, it's the eye colour which tells you which they are, so both will be champagne.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:The coat colour of the two can be variable, it's the eye colour which tells you which they are, so both will be champagne.
But his eyes were definitely red, and not pink. (unless my eyesight is screwed too... lol!)

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am

In the photo, the hooded is clearly a champagne from their eyes (it might help to see a picture showing the eyes of the self), so because the OP said the other has the same colour then they must both be champagne. Champagnes don't necessarily have eyes as pink as a PEW (and shouldn't for the standard), but a buff's eyes would clearly be darker than red - much closer to black at first glance.
Mary x

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 am

Could the self possibly be a really pale silver fawn? It's hard to tell from the piccie but he looks more 'gingery' than his friend.

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 am

Lillyland, it wasnt just you lol about 4 other people asked me!

If I remember rightly MistressSadako's Harry has ruby eyes, black at first glance but in certain lights you can see the hint of red. Its hard to get a pic of their eyes because flash makes them a lot brighter and no flash makes them darker :lol: .
Flash:
No Flash:
He may of looked a bit gingery in the pic before but he doesnt usually.

So Pink eyes are a variable shade of pink/red and Ruby eyes look black with just a hint of red? So theres 2 different types of red eyes?
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

You could find rats with every shade of eye from very pale pink through red, ruby, and black (using lots of different varieties). Genetically, champagne/silver fawn is caused by a gene called pink eye dilute, denoted p, and buff/topaz by a gene called red eye dilute, denoted r, but visually you would describe their eyes as red and dark ruby.
Mary x