'pedigree' names

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Ziggy

'pedigree' names

Post by Ziggy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:04 am

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've never bred, rarely shown (and definately not to any 'serious' level) and aside from getting the occasional lovely breeder rat to 'treat' myself, I don't have much to do with the world of pedigree rats; I mainly rescue.

But something I've always wondered about is the long names that rats and their mothers, fathers, grandparents etc have on their pedigree certificates.
I love reading these, some of them are fantastically imaginative. But I have some questions regarding them. Once again, excuse me if this is all common knowlege and Im being dumb but....

1. What is the purpose of these fancy names? Is it simply because if you only put one name for each rat, it would be confusing as to which rat it actually was? Such as if you just wrote the rat down as 'bob', there could be several different 'bobs' in existence, in several different ratteries, and you can't differentiate which one it is? Do these names exist to make each rat in the pedigree totally unique and recognisable? But if this is the case, would the prefix of the rattery in question not differentiate who that rat was well enough?

2. How do breeders come up with these names? Is there a formula to them, or is it just a matter of the breeder choosing what they think sounds good?

I've always wanted to give my rescues fancy names, just for fun, and it got me to thinking about the history behind these names and why they are there.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my probably stupid questions.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: 'pedigree' names

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:13 am

The rattery prefix is the only standard part of the name, a breeder (or the new owner) can choose whatever they like for the rest.

I have a theme of names from songs, so most of my rats have simple names like Emma or Frankie, some have longer names like Maggie May or Bobbie McGee (which I shorten to Maggie, or Bobbie), others have longer names like Hoochie Coochie Man (Hooch) or Abigail Rocketblast (Gail).
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 am

I've been giving my rats odd names for a while now :) You can name them anything you like, some of mine will have longer 'posher' names then others have quite simple names depending on what names I like at that point and what suits them.
I have a slight greek theme going at the moment, and I'm a disney fan so they are popular names for me at the moment.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 am

I've only fairly recently been giving mine long show names as well as pet names. I really do it because I enjoy.picking out rat names, was jelous of some of the very funky names I'd seen and keep so few rats I need to make the most of name choosing . I now tend to pick a theme for the show name, then pick a pet name from that. Then they get the breeder prefix too. So currently I have 2 boys from midnight rose who are named after race horses, as she loves horses too. They are;

Valiance Made you Look. His pet name is Luke and he is a looked (see my avatar).
Valiance Limited Edition, his let name is Limi,he got his name as one of 5 identicle black lads in the litter.

Then there's my latest 2, there names were picked from both mine and staceys Greek gods theme and linked to rats I'd loved from the two breeders. So I have;

Shunamite memories of gold, pet name Thoumas (named after Shunamite toms gold and the Greek sea god of mysterys)
Eximius Dawn of the Stars, pet name Astraeus, named after Shunamite Astra and the Greek god of twilight.

Got to say its lots of fun, can't wait until our first Muse rats and there Muse song names...
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

It is helpful having 'posh names' if they're going to be bred from, as it reduces the chances that the same name will appear on pedigrees if they're different rats. I get lots of pet homes who name their rats the same things, but chances are most breeders come up with different names because they're a lot longer.

I've gone through themes, perfumes, stars, lush products, films, music. The stars is a long running one for me, and I'm beginning to have to branch out into general sky related things (comets, moons etc.) as I'm running out!

The best 'pedigree name' I had I think was Hakuna Matata You've been Mangoed :lol: His pet name was Mango.. he was 'orange' (mink burmese).
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 am

I love coming up with pedigree names. I've used all sorts, flowers, stars, music tracks, characters in books and off the telly. Sometimes I have a theme for a variety. Silver fawns for instance tend to get 'orange' names like Goldcrest.

Rathole

Post by Rathole » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 am

I do themes too, most of mine have a Clash or Strummer themes, but not all. Some of my faves were Beltane Volatile Molotov (Molly) and Beltane Hit Me With A Flower. Naming them is half the fun! :D
He who lies down with rats, wakes up with holes in T shirt.

http://beltanerats.webs.com/

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I just name the rats with names I like and think they suit. Usually the names just come to me. Some of them are longer like Pass the Buck, Gift Horse or Tough Guise and some are short like Vetivert or Gentian :D
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

toyah

Post by toyah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Ziggy wrote: 1. What is the purpose of these fancy names? Is it simply because if you only put one name for each rat, it would be confusing as to which rat it actually was? Such as if you just wrote the rat down as 'bob', there could be several different 'bobs' in existence, in several different ratteries, and you can't differentiate which one it is? Do these names exist to make each rat in the pedigree totally unique and recognisable? But if this is the case, would the prefix of the rattery in question not differentiate who that rat was well enough?
Individuality in pedigrees is the main reason for me - you'd think prefixes would protect you from duplicates, but they don't (ask any Burmese breeder how many rats called Myanmar of their prefix have existed - there'll be a few).

I only tend to give my rats "posh" names if they're being shown or bred from, as I run out of names too quickly otherwise.
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm

aquajen9 wrote: The best 'pedigree name' I had I think was Hakuna Matata You've been Mangoed :lol: His pet name was Mango.. he was 'orange' (mink burmese).

that was my favourie pedigree name on kale and rowan's pedigree.
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:01 pm

I use song titles for mine too.. :)
I had a plan to name my first litter after songs by a band beginning with A (Alkaline trio - Mercy Me, Sadie etc), then the Second litter after songs by a band beginning with B.. But that never happened as i didn't use up all the Alkaline trio songs i wanted to use in my first litter! :oops:

I have now moved onto the Bluetones though - 4 litters in!

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Heya
Thanks for clearing this all up for me! All makes sense!

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I have to say I didn't get it too, I asked my sister (she's got two American Akitas with these mad names.. The younger one, Angel, is also "CannonBar Stairway to Heaven") having read the descriptions here I think now I get it.. Well, more than I did anyway!! Does this practice reflect all shows? As in, other animals too? Seeing as it's a dog thing as well..
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts:

toyah

Post by toyah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:48 pm

With dogs, cats, and other centrally registered animals, names *have* to be unique - not just to their breed, but to any animal in that registry. So they do tend to get more complicated over time since you can't repeat an animal registered before!
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

muppettdog

Post by muppettdog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 am

I think that such is the quirky nature of people who own rats - then our rats tend to get quirky names. There also is a sense of competition sometimes to me as to who can think of the cleverest rat name. :)

Some of mine have very simple names. I currently have gone through the phonetic alphabet, so have a Halcyon Charlie and a Halyon Oscar and a Halcyon Juliet for example.

I use a programme called Breeders Assistant to track all the rats I've bred/owned, and sometimes if I come up with a name I like & I find its been used before (an owner could have used it) then I can either add a number or another word. For example I had a Hooded buck called Black Jack & wanted to name his son Jackson - but someone I had homed to had called a buck of mine Halcyon Jackson. So my guy is just called Halcyon Jackson 2 - cos I couldn't find a word I liked to go with it. Another rat I wanted to call Serengeti. But I found I had one already called that - so I called her Red Serengeti.

Pre-fixes or Affixes (which are less common) can be used by anyone but the NFRS ask that if you are a member and you breed, that you register your rattery name. You can go on to call it a registered NFRS Stud if you win at certain levels at shows with rats you've bred. Many people just know what their rattery name is going to be and others spend ages chosing one that suits them. I always think its like picking your kids names - you are going to have to live with it for a long time ;)
Halcyon Rats of Lowestoft Suffolk

http://halcyonrats.weebly.com/