Would this Blue have clotting issues?

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
fuschia

Would this Blue have clotting issues?

Post by fuschia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm not clued up on types of blue rat, but Libby has a urine infection and is passing a lot of blood. Was wondering if her colour might be in any way involved, and also my vet would like to take a blood sample from her tail, would this be ok?
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Lillyland

Re: Would this Blue have clotting issues?

Post by Lillyland » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Ican't see the photo because i am at work.
There is no way of telling whether or not she has the clotting issue from a photo - although it was only ever in British Blues that the issue occurred. I would say it is unlikely these days that she would be decended from rats with the issue.

Although, i don't think a vet would be able to obtain enough blood from the tail to perform any real analysis on it. Has he dipped her urine?

malude

Post by malude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

She does look BB to me on my screen but I am far from an expert on colourings!
However I have had a blue with confirmed clotting issues (vet did a nick test under anaesthetic) and at a later date he had blood taken from his tail to investigate weight loss. It was very difficult to get blood because as soon as the needle went in you could see bruising appearing before your eyes and also cos he was squirming! He had a very small whiff of gas and the vet was then able to get a sample, but as Lilly said not a huge sample so she couldn't do all the tests we wanted but there were some viable samples that we had analysed. They put a pressure bandage on his tail which I left on for a couple of hours afterwards and he was fine. Must say I was a nervous wreck in the waiting room though, I was so scared he would bleed too much. The vet asked about taking blood from the jugular vein if the tail was unsuccessful but I said no as I thought the risk was way too high.
I hope that helps :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Lillyland wrote:There is no way of telling whether or not she has the clotting issue from a photo - although it was only ever in British Blues that the issue occurred. I would say it is unlikely these days that she would be decended from rats with the issue.
There has been quite a lot of problems with Russian Silvers, Lilacs etc too, usually from not very good places mind you...there are definitely still a fair few lines around with problems sadly.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

fuschia

Re: Plymouth-London home swap

Post by fuschia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Thank you for the replies, really helpful. Yeah she has had her urine tested - numerous dip tests and a sample sent to the lab. And a scan. But she's still not responding to treatment, so vet is planning on giving her a whiff of gas to get some blood and do an x ray. ETA she's a rescue so no idea of family history.
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 pm

I had a very good vet try and get blood from a rats tail, and it just didn't happen. In the end they took blood from the jugular - but even then they can only really take just enough to do tests.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Ah - I know this rat! Hello Libby - I hope you feel better soon.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 am

My vet did a Nick test.
We had Wilson (Roan) and Alfie (British Blue) castrated at the same time, so both were nicked on the tail and time to stop bleeding was determined from the control rat (Wilson).
In the end Alfie clotted quicker than Wilson. :luck:
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

spoiled_rat wrote:
Lillyland wrote:There is no way of telling whether or not she has the clotting issue from a photo - although it was only ever in British Blues that the issue occurred. I would say it is unlikely these days that she would be decended from rats with the issue.
There has been quite a lot of problems with Russian Silvers, Lilacs etc too, usually from not very good places mind you...there are definitely still a fair few lines around with problems sadly.
Well yeah... but the BB being the factor, smarty pants. :lol: - actually, for some reason BYBs slipped my mind completely :oops: :oops:

I hope all goes well :) Like people have suggested, i would maybe ask for a nick test before trying to get blood from her :) i have my fingers crossed! :)

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

secretpennell wrote:Ah - I know this rat! Hello Libby - I hope you feel better soon.
Libby says hello rescue/foster Mummy :D :hearts:

So when she goes in on Monday, it's ok for the vet to try and get a sample from her tail, but I'll stress not to use the jugular if the tail doesn't work? Cause it'd be difficult to stop the blood flowing from there I'd imagine? Although if the tail vein doesn't produce much blood, would that maybe mean she doesn't have clotting issues? That'd be like the nick test I guess :-?
Fingers crossed :luck:

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 am

I don't know about this, so just putting it out there, but would it be worth her having an injection of vitamin K before any procedure (I don't know how long before for it to take effect)

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks Felix :D my vet did actually mention trying her with some vitamin K, can't remember if it was in relation to the blood in her urine or getting the blood sample.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Vit K is suppose to help with clotting.

There have been a few threads on it, but I can't find them.......
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

LittleL

Post by LittleL » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:21 pm

awww she's gorgeous, hope she feels better soon.. xx

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Lillyland wrote:
spoiled_rat wrote:
Well yeah... but the BB being the factor, smarty pants. :lol: - actually, for some reason BYBs slipped my mind completely :oops: :oops:
I had a russian silver from a reputable breeder, and she had clotting problems. The problems still exist.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.