Rex rats

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
StormySkye

Rex rats

Post by StormySkye » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

I've got my name down for a rex baby, and I've only ever had smooth coats before, so I just wondered if there are any issues I should be aware of? I know some varieties have problems, like blues with blood clots or whatever, so is there anything I need to know about rexes? (And pics of your rexes would be lovely :wink: )
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Jemma

Re: Rex rats

Post by Jemma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am

Rexes can have problems with there eyes, caused by ingrowing eyelashes (though I had a weird one where his whole eyelids were turned inwards, I think that wasn’t variety related though) so you do need to watch their eye’s. They can also be more prone to cysts than straight coated rats, similar principle, the hair doesn’t break the surface and causes a relatively harmless cyst in the skin. These do need to be watched though as a cyst can become infected or even cancerous. Most I’ve had have been easily dealt with. Rexes also tend to bald fairly early in life so don’t worry if there coat gets thin and patchy. This can lead to them being more sensitive to the heat, cold and general cage scraps as they get older. The only other thing I can think of is that pink eyed varieties that have short sight anyway may have some difficulties sensing things like drops and such.

To be honest though if your rex is coming from an experienced rex breeder they should be able to tell you more, a lot of these things are as much to do with the genetic predisposition as well as them being rex so they will be the best source of information
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm

My rexes don't seem to have any problems etc being totally gorgeous! :)
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:09 pm

My rex had a problem with ingrowing eyelashes she had an operation today, but she was from a pet shop. :oops:
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:52 am

So are the ingrown eyelashes a common thing? And will it happen more than once, and does it need surgery? Also, do cysts need vet attention or only if they start causing problems? Scared now :o

emily97

Post by emily97 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 am

I cant really say if ingrowing eyelashes are that common, but I think the vet would need to do surgery if the ratties had that problem, but im no expert. I can give you any details about the operation as my little Heidi had it. Can't say I know much about cysts.

Sorry that I wasn't much help.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

hannahrats

Post by hannahrats » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

I read somewhere that double rexes have more issues than rexes with ingrowing eye lashes etc. I had one rex who died from severe pneumonia (despite numerous vet visits and treatment) - which any type of rat can get. She was very healthy up until she became ill.
I would relax, be vigilant as with any rat, and enjoy. Bet you're well excited.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 pm

StormySkye wrote:So are the ingrown eyelashes a common thing? And will it happen more than once, and does it need surgery? Also, do cysts need vet attention or only if they start causing problems? Scared now :o
None of mine have ever had eyelash/eye issues and I have owned a lot of rexes :lol:
Most cysts are pretty harmless and can be left alone.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

hlcasey

Post by hlcasey » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

I have had several rexes in the past (and have two at the moment) and we have never had any eye problems or cysts just the usual rat issues such as lumps or PTs. I find mine seem to dislike the heat, they spend more time on the ice pod then any of the others :)
I <3 my ratties

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 am

Cool, thanks everyone for the replies :) I can't wait, but three more weeks to go! :roll: :lol:

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:22 pm

I've had the odd rex who seems to get an irritated eye - usually because the eye has curled towards the eye.. therefore I've just trimmed the offending hair back and it's not been an issue. I've never had a rex with ingrowing eyelashes - nor heard about that issue before.. I've found hairless have a problem with ingrowing eyelashes.. but never rex.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

emma10

Post by emma10 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:17 pm

my rex Billy only ever has the odd eye problem. Hes had an ingrowning eye lash and an infection. He is balding too. Hes very sweet though, if i wasn't on my phone i'd post a pic. Rexes are beautiful :)
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3