A new type of coat?? *TONS of pictures and info*

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
cookielucylou

Re: A new type of coat?? *TONS of pictures and info*

Post by cookielucylou » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:25 am

Breeding wise you could try breeding the buck with a closely related doe and also with a non related doe, and keep close records of what you get. I'm assuming where you are it is harder to get rats than it is over here.
For breeding does I've always been told the doe should be at least 300g for breeding so unless your does are very big I would say 3-4 months is to young. I also think 3 litters is to many for a doe, as they won't get enough time in-between to recover. The usuall here is 1 or occasionally 2 litters.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 am

I'm sorry. I didn't know it was that young for rats. I had been told that age to start...and I figured since they grow so quickly and they're separated from mom around 5 weeks or so (and have the ability to get pregnant at that age...which is crazy!!) that 3-4 months old to breed sounded reasonable. Although, now coming to this site and reading a bit, the person that gave me all of this "information" and I, seem a bit off. I did only bred the one girl at that age. The others girls have not been with a male. And now I know better. Thank you.
The vari doe had 3 litters total and that's it. No more than that. Her first litter was a good while back and then the two that were kinda close together. She doesn't look in the greatest shape in the photo probably because she was recovering from a mite experience (and there was a little bit of baby oil on the fur on her head). Other than that, she always appeared to be very healthy and had no problems with her babies or being a fantastic mother.

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:10 am

I will no longer breed at that age (luckily it only happened once). And I will not let my does have more than two litters.
Sorry everyone :(
So once the female Siamese dumbos (that carry the weird hair gene?) get a little older, I will breed him with one of them as well as a completely unrelated female....and of course, document it very well with both writing and photos.
It's not too too hard to find rats over here. Although it seems like you guys have a ton of different kinds that I have never seen available near me. Lucky!! Haha.

*One more thing: once the female, that looks like Dobby, is old enough(it'll be a while from now...but so worth it! I'm excited to see results from that!) and I'm finally able to put them together, I SHOULD get all strange ones in the litter? Correct?

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 am

CLDobby99 wrote:It seems as if the majority say is that he looks like/is a double Rex. Now how will that work with breeding? As it seems as though it's recessive....will I ever get Rex? Or will they always come out this strange double Rex type rat?
The majority say that he 'looks like' a double rex - he isn't though, because his parents are both smooth.
Whatever he is (hairless is most likely), it's recessive, and will be similar whenever you get it.
If you want to breed rex, you're better off looking for a rex breeder to bring the gene in from.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

CLDobby99

Post by CLDobby99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you.
I had figured every time it shows up, it would be similar to how he looks. I was just curious about it...hopefull that someone had similar experiences.
I'm not really looking to breed Rex yet. In fact, I wasn't really planning on breeding any 'special' type coats any time soon. Well, my rats thought differently! Haha.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 pm

cookielucylou wrote:I think as someone already said they could be carrying the resesive rex.
I have Recessive Rex in a line here and they do not look anything like that :)
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 pm

It would be interesting to know what they are then.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:41 pm

I would assume hairless as already mentioned.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am

spoiled_rat wrote:
cookielucylou wrote:I think as someone already said they could be carrying the resesive rex.
I have Recessive Rex in a line here and they do not look anything like that :)
Sheepy rats!

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:35 am

They are indeed sheeps :lol:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 am

Licky, stupid sheeps :lol: