Good breeders/bad breeders/ rodent farms

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
spollin

Re: Good breeders/bad breeders/ rodent farms

Post by spollin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 pm

some good advice in this thread which has helped me a lot! i just got off the phone with a breeder and from the answers she gave me (comparing them to the points in this thread) i was most impressed :)

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:04 am

Just a suggestion from a newbie, but i would worry if a "breeder" was going to let me walk off with just one rat, without questioning if there were others at home for it to play with, also even the pet store I bought my rats at questioned the size of cage I was getting, type of litter I was using (My local P@H has at least 2 people who keeps rats, one of whom is on here I think)
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

sabrinasky

Post by sabrinasky » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 am

Hi all,

Coming from the world of dog breeders sadly I learnt this about breeders and money!

The only time money counts is not to do with how much or how little money a person has.
It is when a breeder makes it obvious that their idea of a suitable new owner is that the new owner will and can pay the breeders requested price.
(Not such a problem in pet rodents thankfully but puppies often go for more than £1,000)

I think it is best when looking to buy any animal to spend lots and lots of time learning ALL about your chosen type of animal.
You can then make your own mind up when you go to make your purchase if the breeder keeps their animals in a way you would feel happy about keeping your own etc.

I did buy my original rat’s years ago from a pet shop but coming back into rats now after 14 years I chose to go to a reputable breeder.
Yes a rat from a reputable breeder might cost double what you would pay from a pet shop (not that it is a fortune anyway)
BUT mark my words when you get attached to your rat, it is the most wonderful feeling in the world to truly know where not only your pet has come from but its relatives too.
A good breeder personally knows all her rats and my breeder was able to show them all to me.
Consequently I met my rat’s parents, grandparents, siblings etc in the fur- lovely. This meant a lot to me.

Maybe we should take one tip from the dog world:
The KC states all ways ask to see the baby with its mother -
SO buy from someone/somewhere that you can see the parents, relatives whatever, this would be another chance to make your own judgments on the way the animals are kept and handled etc.
Don't be put off if someone tells you "Oh breeders grill you it’s not a totally easy purchase"

OK - A good breeder is unlikely to instantly meet the wants/wishes of an impulse buyer like a pet shop! (Too many pet shop purchasers are impulse buys).
BUT do you really want your next furry friend to be from a place were - Any one can buy one as a whim because the seller could not give two hoots about the animals anyway.

Sorry to ramble group but you wanted opinions.

Jan X

Solar

Post by Solar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Good advice, but I'd just like to point out that unlike the dog world rats from responsible breeders usually cost less then bybs or petshops which has been seen as up to £100 for one hairless rat :o but usually £20 - £50 each for these so called 'rare' varieties. Top ears smooth usually are £5 - £8 each.

If not already said, a good breeder will charge the same amount for a top eared black hooded as s/he would a Russian Blue dumbo rex, if there is any difference from two varieties from the same breeder then they are breeding for money. I think the general price is from £10 - £30 for a pair of rats of any variety, but I'm not too sure.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I know some US breeders claim that they inflate the prices of certain varieties because they had to do a lot of travelling to get them.. what's people's views on that sort of thing?
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

ellieviolet

Post by ellieviolet » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:53 pm

a breeder is bad to me if the breeder doesnt talk about the rats with passion and love, we all know what that sounds like, if they call them stock, if they cant say why they bred this rat with that rat and what they hoped to achieve with the breeding, if they dont have older rats. i think i have to feel the rats are pets before they are breeders, if you see what i mean
ellie :girly: the dixie does and dude and the disco divas
:rainbow: my angels, not forgotten

Ripley

Post by Ripley » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:59 am

I'm with ellieviolet on the use of the word "stock"... it makes my heart sink a little bit when I hear it used in reference to what should be adored members of the family. :(