Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
kisykins

Re: Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

Post by kisykins » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:55 pm

:cry: :cry: words fail me,, how very very upsetting! this is the reason that when someone comes on a forum saying "oh look what i got,, a lovely little pet shop cutie" i grit my teeth and dont post a reply!!
please people, look at these pictures :cry: :cry: its disgusting and sad and inhumane amongst other things, do you really want to support it? :( !!
Sirius Rattery :hearts:
Breeding For Burmese and Russian Burmese, Happy Healthy rats!

Zan

Post by Zan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

These pictures say more than words ever could and anyone who ever asks why it's wrong to buy rats from petr shops whould be referred to them.
Also spare a thought for animals in labs, who are kept in the same sort of conditions their whole lives and endure pain and torture as well.
.....Walnut and Sultana.

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:06 pm

That really makes me feel quite ill and glassy eyed. Even the rats and small animals in the pet shop i used to work in were kept in reasonable conditions, they had toys and hammocks. I remember my boss did get some dwarf hamsters from a rodent farm once, and they were totally wild, they squeaked as soon as anybody went near their cage. The tubs those rats are kept in look prehistoric. Arent they supposed to be able to exhibit natural behaviours, or is that just in this country?

neep_neep

Post by neep_neep » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:26 pm

littlebabyribbon wrote: Arent they supposed to be able to exhibit natural behaviours, or is that just in this country?

Don't think that applies to commercial breeders...

rattilover

Post by rattilover » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm

i cant say its something shocking as seen it in real life, in labs etc so tbh its not a shock.

whils i dont agree. with it at all in the slightest i think its very realistic to assume larger chain stores and others are supplied by people who even if they dont look like hat set up physically/mentally dont even see it as wrong.

only set ups like that can breeding be profitable.

i do think it should be that you tar all pet shops with the same i know 1 pet shop who i would use who has breeders supply with care sheets even there own details u can go round there etc.
:rainbow: Jerry :rainbow: Roland :dumborainbow: Sooty :dumborainbow: Sweep
http://www.rescuehelpersunite.co.uk - for all animal lovers and rescue boards HELPING RESCUES HELP MORE ANIMALS from mice to dogs. NEW MUST LOOK

ratsrule4

Post by ratsrule4 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

That is just so sad. Those poor animals are just used to breed... Animals need love and attention. If I even walked in there I would want to take every single one of those animals home to me. Imagine working there?? How do they do it??How do they even sleep at night? I feel bad when I dont have enough timke to take my rats out in one day.. There are some heartles people out there... poor animals have to suffer because of them...... It makes me sick

cub

Post by cub » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:15 pm

ratsrule4 wrote:How do they do it??How do they even sleep at night?

If you work with animals under those conditions every day, you probably become desensitised to it. And not everyone places the same values on animals as we do: my grandmother, for example, would probably not bat an eyelid at those photos. She's not a bad or uncaring person in general, she just doesn't see animal welfare as important. I might strongly disagree with that point of view, but I can understand it.

I also don't think that rodent farms are ultimately the root cause of the problem - it's the fact that there's a market for them that is. Wherever there's demand, there will be supply; yes, it's the suppliers doing the evil deed, but if there was no demand for what they do, then they wouldn't be doing it. That's why I think educating people about better alternatives - good breeders and animal rescues - is so important.
Chief cook and bottle washer to 1 gerbil.

ratlover5000

Post by ratlover5000 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm

I AM speechless... I can't even begin to say how upset and desgusted I feel about this. How can people think they have the right to do this to animals? Using them as little slaves and keeping them in this condition, it makes me sick. I wish there was some way to make people more aware about where petshops get their animals.
Love from me and the ratties! *** http://www.tailsnall.createforum.net ***

Solar

Post by Solar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Those boxes are what the animals (except rabbits and guinea pigs) come in where I work, I've always known they are bred and kept in boxes like that :( I always feel so sad when I see them.

All petshops that cannot be named get their animals from mills like these, they are not allowed to get them from local multipliers purely because it's easier to monitor several large mills then individual multipliers, but I know for a fact the ones my work uses doesn't breed for snake food and I believe nor does the others and they've offered to take 'unsellable' animals to rehome on the adoption thing. Not much better I know but thought I'd let people know about that.

It makes me wonder how any rat can be friendly and trustworthy to people after such lack of contact, let alone a licky rag doll like my Benny or just even those that come around to tlc. Before and since him and his brother, all my male rats (barring two) have come from rescues (directly because of petshops actually, two pairs of misexing and a pair from family bred for a petshop but family rescued before they were born)

:( Why can't they rotate the does for breeding? So they can at least have a month or so rest? (although that's no where near enough) but it shows why the rats are so tiny just fed lab blocks even when nursing :(

I think this being stickied would help spread the word a little, but could also do the opposite by making people think of 'rescuing' the rats and giving them a proper home because they'll think they'll diserve it (if that was the case they should buy ALL the rats they sell.)
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:23 pm

Part of the reason i felt i couldnt work in the pet shop anymore was i did argue over their ethics, but this looks ten times worse, they cant even move around properly in there! What are those lab blocks things they are being fed?

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 pm

They've got no room to move about! Its like battery farming chickens :cry:

I feel so sad and guilty I got my boys from the pet shop now, especially as I was looking at the babies up for rehoming earlier today :cry: I'm never gettnig pets from a pet shop ever again :evil:

Rasboozy

Post by Rasboozy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:29 pm

i dont wish any of my boys away at all, but ill never buy from a pet shop again. its just too terribly sad.

giruff

Post by giruff » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 pm

wow...thats awful. I'm speechless.

Those poor ratties :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sad thing is a lot of people dont realise that this kind of thing is normal. Theres a lady I know who knows a rabbit breeder that supplies various pet shops. Apparnely every now and then he'll cull them due to health problems, unwanted colours etc. I guess for them its easier to do that than it is to breed for these traits but it is heart breaking.

fuzzyfeet

Post by fuzzyfeet » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 am

Hmmnn.....looking at all my lovely rat friends....and thats what they are...friends,jumping up for attention the minute i'm within reach i cant see how that bloke is human at all to be honest or others like him.The tanks are small,dirty and over crowded.Where are the toys or the kindness of a human hand? Bred to oblivion and then used as a reptile snack....gross! I can honestly say after seeing those pic's i feel no compassion or would make excuses for his kind. I hope he can sleep at night! :( :evil:

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:16 am

Oh Blimey :o

I feel utterly sick, I really mean physically sick.

Those poor, poor ratties :cry: :cry:
Love, Kt.
All my ratties live on forever in my heart, forever loved. xxx
North of England rat society