Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Becky1

Re: Visit to a rodent farm (with pics!)

Post by Becky1 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 am

This post has certainly opened my eyes, as I always saw rodent farms as something similar to backyard breeders, ie someone that bred "whatever" in own their home (sitting room whatever), not someone that was going for mass production :o I vowed ages ago that the only rattie that would cross my doormat would be a rescue, and now I am doubly sure that is the only sort I will take in :(
Becky & Cynthia Dolores Rita Esther Eve Harriet Hattie.

Sleep well those before them, you may be gone...but you're never forgotten :rainbow:

alices'smum

Post by alices'smum » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:39 pm

this thread has opened my eyes as well.for a long while now i have said i won't buy anymore rats from those pet shops(mainly since comming on fr site).but since seeing this i will do my utmost not to buy anything from them.thank you to the op for showing the pics and to everyone for their contributions.

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Seeing these pictures has helped me open my eyes wider then the forum in general has allowed me to. I have had 5 rats all of which have been from pet stores (one of which I'm sure may have ended up as reptile food as that particular store was where we bought lizard food). What has occurred to me is that until I joined this forum, not only did I know relatively little about rat care, but I wouldn't have had a clue where to get rats from other then the pet store.

So while I think animals kept in these conditions is reprehensible, I do think that breeders need to take more action in making themselves more available to the general public. After all, not everyone is net savvy, and it never occurred to me, although I'm a very active member of other forums, to join a rat forum until someone at my local PAH mentioned it to me.

It also makes me wonder how many rats are kept without proper free range time or adequate cages because of a general lack of knowledge and good resources. My local boarders for instance only keeps 1 book on rat care, which gives next to no information. So while boycotting the pet stores shows that we care about these things, I don't think this sort of treatment will stop until the solution goes much wider to help people find resources more easily.

I hope all of that makes some sort of sense, I get the feeling I'm just waffling, and I cant wait to get home and give my girls an extra big hug tonight!
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:27 pm

yoshimi wrote:I do think that breeders need to take more action in making themselves more available to the general public.

I'm not sure what else breeders can do. :-?

Even if you're not net-savvy, the breeders list is available from the NFRS. I had no internet when I first kept rats, but through research via books etc, I joined the NFRS and found a breeder.

Sorry - I'm not having a dig, but I would be interested to know what else you think breeders could be doing?
Emma & the furries x x

popticle17

Post by popticle17 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:33 pm

i think admittadly, you dont think about fancy rat societies, or shows, or even breeders for that matter when you first decide to get rats. even if it is just an "on a whim" that you get rats maybe vets or pet shops (in the future maybe) could have local breeders numbers for them to be available to ring? then if the potential owner is going to wait weeks or months for the next litter then you know they are commited. alternatively, advertise the NFRS on leaflets given out in pets at home etc. there is nothing to say that the breeders list has to be on there, just another source of information. maybe an "other useful links" part of the leaflet.
Chelsea, Cass, Vedder and Rats.

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Interestingly when I think about it, If I wanted to buy a cat or a dog I would know to go to a breeder, or a rescue shelter, but because small animals are sold in pet shops that's the first place a novice owner, or someone who doesn't have contacts with other people caring for the same pet, would go.

I know I said breeders, but I suppose thinking it through a little more It probably comes down to rescue shelters, vets and animal charities more. After all when was the last time the RSPCA did a campaign aimed at the owners of small animals? If it was recently then I apologise, but I must have missed it, and if I did then how many other owners or potential owners did too.

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that in most hobby's & interests the online community represents a small number of the actual people interested in that thing, and it's difficult to imagine anything changing while the information isn't getting to a wider population. Everyone knows a dog needs walking even if they don't do it, but I don't imagine every rat owner knows how much space a rat needs.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I find it hard to get to upset about people treating animals in the way that this farm does, when there is so little (seemingly) being done to inform the public, without going to the extreme that many animal rights activists go to, which puts as many people off animal welfare causes, as it recruits. (those pictures did make me feel sick though..)
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:35 pm

popticle17 wrote:i think admittadly, you dont think about fancy rat societies, or shows, or even breeders for that matter when you first decide to get rats. even if it is just an "on a whim" that you get rats maybe vets or pet shops (in the future maybe) could have local breeders numbers for them to be available to ring? then if the potential owner is going to wait weeks or months for the next litter then you know they are commited. alternatively, advertise the NFRS on leaflets given out in pets at home etc. there is nothing to say that the breeders list has to be on there, just another source of information. maybe an "other useful links" part of the leaflet.

At PAH they have something called a breeders register for people interested in buying a certain breed of dog. It would definately be a good idea to have similar registers for rabbit, rat, guinea pig, hamster breeders etc. But seeing as there's so much money to be made from pet sales, something like this might be a long way off.
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

Ratty Bob

Post by Ratty Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:01 pm

Sara_C wrote: At PAH they have something called a breeders register for people interested in buying a certain breed of dog. It would definately be a good idea to have similar registers for rabbit, rat, guinea pig, hamster breeders etc. But seeing as there's so much money to be made from pet sales, something like this might be a long way off.

They do (or did) have one for rabbits administered by the BRC
For Everything Chatty Ratville
For Everything Ratty Acrorats

LongTail

Post by LongTail » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 pm

what an excellent thread & discussion.
i find this highly educational and wonder if a petition of sort could be put forward, i beleive there is a petition site where you can start your own, get so many sigs and then forward it for govenment. surly it helps the cause for human treatment for all animals.

i have brought from pet shops untill early this year but no longer do after seeing the state of some, and this thread enforces my feelings.

csi

Post by csi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:41 pm

LongTail wrote:what an excellent thread & discussion.
i find this highly educational and wonder if a petition of sort could be put forward, i beleive there is a petition site where you can start your own, get so many sigs and then forward it for govenment. surly it helps the cause for human treatment for all animals.

I have had an e-petition, re mammals and birds being sold in petshops, mentioning the awful breeding conditions as a factor, accepted by downing street and am awaiting admin permission, or not, to post the link to it on the site
In the meantime if anyone would like the link please pm me

thank you
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

LongTail

Post by LongTail » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:36 pm

thats fantastic, have PMd you for the link.

csi

Post by csi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:03 pm

With grateful thanks to FRAdmin the petition is now here

Please support if you feel you can

thank you :D
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

vm1307

Post by vm1307 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm

DONE IT! Was it you who organised this Sharon? Cheers for that and thank you to the FR admin for letting us have it posted here.

BTW: Receiving an MSN notification saying

You have received a new email message from 10 Downing Street

Was worth signing the petition alone! lol :lol:

(obv. NOT the reason I signed though!)

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:42 pm

yoshimi wrote:I do think that breeders need to take more action in making themselves more available to the general public.

The only thing I don't currently do is 'advertise' offline - e.g. in vets/pet shops. But it does cost money to do that.. I can't really afford to be paying money each week to keep an advert up which might not do anything.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:48 pm

aquajen9 wrote:

The only thing I don't currently do is 'advertise' offline - e.g. in vets/pet shops. But it does cost money to do that.. I can't really afford to be paying money each week to keep an advert up which might not do anything.

That's understandable - it's not as if you're in it to make money in the first place, so every extra expense is likely to just mean going deeply in the red each time you have a litter.

I don't think it's up to breeders to increase their visibility - largely because by doing so, standards are more likely to slip. Large waiting lists lead to bigger temptations to produce more litters to meet demand, etc. Not that I think the great breeders here would lower their standards but overall, there would be plenty of BYB willing to fill this demand.

I was going to say rescues could do more to advertise but then I realised that 1) they're already usually working on a very tight budget and 2) they'd probably be inundated with requests to take animals in, rather than adopt them out.