possible UK dalmatian rex rats

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
katievonlou

possible UK dalmatian rex rats

Post by katievonlou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm

:D eee a bit excited! one of my relatives is moving back to the UK and bringing her rats with her once she's sorted out the papers and all the legal stuff etc etc. i was telling her about how we've got a lot of ratties here and how much we love them, and saying about the lack of dalmatian rats in the UK...well it just happens she has dalmatian rexes (lucky!), 4 girls and 5 boys, and she might be planning on opening a rattery in the UK breeding dalmatian rex dumbos ( :love: ). she wants me to run it for her (as in feeding, cleaning etc, i know nothing much about genetics so i'll leave that to her :lol: ), but i've only really got experience breeding hamsters and nursing the occasional baby animal people bring to me.

so anyone got any advice about running a rattery? and any possible complications bringing dalmatian's rats in this country (i think i read before that they are an American variety)

anything is all good :)
katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

sharplady

Re: possible UK dalmatian rex rats

Post by sharplady » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Wow! These sound fantastic! Have you any pics?
Chief yoggie-slave to Johnny Cash (the Rat in Black), Bobby Mcgee, lang, Gaultier and Buddy

In my heart - Pancho and Lefty: Woody and Hank; Jim; Darby and Casey

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:01 pm

My advice would be not to do them in dumbo and rex straight off.
They're technically a new variety, don't think they even have an NV standard over here, she should work on getting decent type on smooth top-ears before adding dumbo and rex.
The rex will be easy enough to breed away from - just mate to a smooth and you'll get some smooth babies.

In my opinion lots of new breeders think about colour, fur and ears way ahead of actual type (conformation) and imho type is far more important than any of those things.
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:01 pm

sadly the biggest complication is likely to be 6 months quarantine, which unfortunately tends to put rats past their breeding age, so that might not work so well. It would be great if she can get them into the UK though. :)

Rackie

Post by Rackie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Realistically, they should all come to me.

;) :lol:
Rackie and the Symphony Rats

katievonlou

Post by katievonlou » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:34 pm

that's a photo of a dalmatian rex, it's not one of hers, but i should be getting photos of hers tomorrow. this photo is from a rattery in a america called spoiled ratten rattery http://spoiledratten.com/

yeah, i thought there might be a problem with starting with rex dumbos, but i'll have to talk to her and get more info on what's she's doing then i'll get back asap and let you know what's going on.

how adorable are they? :love:

katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:38 pm

They're all really cute.. but they just look like mismarked/varis/capped etc to me hehe.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Same here, they don't look as broken up as a "proper" dalmation should be but I guess that could be selected for :lol:
They're v. v. v. cute and Rackie will I'm sure be biting people's hands off for them.
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

oojintyoo

Post by oojintyoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Oooooooooooooo i want one!!! Put me down on the list please. :lol:
Rats - Ratatouille, Scooby, Novo & Twins Ralph & Ruben :teen: Bramble & Bracken :baby:
*~* Explorer Club Member *~*
Weimaraners - Callie & Cooper :teen:
Weimaraner Lovers Forum

Stepharoo

Post by Stepharoo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:00 pm

Oh! Dalmations are cute :love:
Simba & Gizmo :love:
Trevor The Hammy
Gary The Snail
Fudge The Cat
Stuck For Pet Names? Then Go To http://www.pinkchipetnames.tk (Currently A Work In Progress)

Rackie

Post by Rackie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Jembean wrote:Same here, they don't look as broken up as a "proper" dalmation should be but I guess that could be selected for :lol:
They're v. v. v. cute and Rackie will I'm sure be biting people's hands off for them.

*bites Jem's hand off for spelling it with an o* :lol:

matt_m

Post by matt_m » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Hummm...are they Dalmation? They don't look it to me, but it's hard to tell whether they just don't look it through lack of selective breeding or because they are just mismarks :-? . Very cute though! :D
--Matt

Rackie

Post by Rackie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:39 pm

matt_m wrote:Hummm...are they Dalmation? They don't look it to me, but it's hard to tell whether they just don't look it through lack of selective breeding or because they are just mismarks :-? . Very cute though! :D

Dalmatian, Matt! *cries*

Spoiled Ratten

Post by Spoiled Ratten » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm

I promise they are dalmatians. The markings are random just like in dalmatian dogs. If you breed it on h/h, of course, spots will only show up in the places where a hood would have color. Better to breed on H/h or H/H although you don't get spots on the belly. I've wondered if dalmatian berkshires (or self) that are also downunder would have spots on their bellies, but I didn't get to really try it. I had too much going on to try everything I wanted to.

Also, the rex on the dalmatians I had was fabulous. . .nice little curls and very, very soft. Pongo was a love, and everyone who ever met him wanted him or his babies. Once they touched him (he was soooo soft and sweet and a bit squishy), I had trouble getting him back. He was a special one and is likely still related to a lot of the dals around the US now. Mine were hardy, robust rats but I had to be careful with the females even when they got older as they stayed quite fertile past 18 months. Dumbo is beautiful on them, but I have seen a lot of thin, small ears on them, some even with odd placement. Likely, people here are still working on type and not that concerned about ears, yet, as I'm also seeing some who are not keeping watch of eye shape and size. Also beware, there are some in the US with a gene for obesity.

matt_m

Post by matt_m » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Rackie wrote:
matt_m wrote:Hummm...are they Dalmation? They don't look it to me, but it's hard to tell whether they just don't look it through lack of selective breeding or because they are just mismarks :-? . Very cute though! :D

Dalmatian, Matt! *cries*

Oops, sorry :roll: :lol:
--Matt