How long before rats trust you?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
dancemb

How long before rats trust you?

Post by dancemb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 am

Have asked because I got 2 rats from a pet shop, and over a month later they now seem to trust there daddy, so them 2 are fine.

I have just taken 3 rats from someone yesterday as they was moving house soon. There is a neutered boy and 2 girls, all approx a year old. they are very large rats, bigger than I have had before. I am wondering how long before they start to trust me? I know there owner took really good care of them and were very loving towards her, but had them on the bed with me, and when I tried to stroke them they backed off, and dont seem to want to be picked up in the cage at the moment.

Any tips on how they can trust me and show me the same amount of love as I am showing them?

MoominLove

Re: How long before rats trust you?

Post by MoominLove » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 am

i would say, dont make them come out of the cage if they dont want to. let them come to you rather than just taking them. put some food on your hand and encourage out with that. they'l start to associate you with good things. but remember not rush them or you could end back at square one.
hope that helps a bit, its what i did for my girls.. =]
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 am

How long does it take you before you trust someone?
Its exactly the same for them - it depends on you and the rat involved. We have had rats who have trusted us from the first time they saw us, and we have had rats that never really settled down. The best thing you can do is just spend time with them, then they will get to trust you when they are ready
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

dancemb

Post by dancemb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 pm

The big neutered boy, Ronnie, likes to crawl up my arm when I open the cage door, he did that yesterday for the first time and had a lovely time exploring the whole bed, didnt seem interested in having a cuddle though, but at least with crawling up my arm he must trust me a little bit, although im sure all of the choccie drops might be helping a bit there :wink:

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:03 pm

food is a great leveller!
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

dancemb

Post by dancemb » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:59 pm

The choccie drops do seem to help a bit, im hoping giving them quite a few everyday might get them to associate me with yummy things, not sure what else I should try, but they dont really mind getting picked up out the cage by me anymore, so I must be making good progress??

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:43 pm

You can't put a time on it just be patient. We have had 1 of our gils about 3 months now and she still is reluctant to come out of the cage and will bite if we try and haul her out. The 2 new girls we got friday are more than happy to come out and play. Just stick with it, sounds like you are doing great :D
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

NikkiD

Post by NikkiD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey, I've just adopted two boys from my friend who's going abroad. They were her son's pets and I think he might have lost interest in them a little and so they haven't been handled so much recently. They seem to be very happy and my friend has had rats of her own in the past so I'm very confident of her instructions with them, I'm just a little worried that because they're a bit elderly (one's about 4 and I think the other is slightly younger) they might not get used to me? I'm happy if they're happy with each other, but I'd love to be able to handle them without frightening them, and I wondered if anyone had any tips for getting older rats used to you? Thanks :)

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 am

if they have been well handled by your friend you shouldn't need to worry at all, most well handled rats are pretty confident with everyone, not just their owner :)
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook