Progress with Atticus! Thanks Jemma!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Wiserabbit

Progress with Atticus! Thanks Jemma!

Post by Wiserabbit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 am

I posted about a week ago because I was concerned about different free range behaviour and as a side note mentioned one of my boys, Atticus (or Mr R-Attitude) :smileyrat: was biting us when he objected to being picked up. Jemma mentioned I should do some bonding work with him and thought I would post progress in case anyone else is having the same issue.

We tried the following:
1. Instead of rat safe paper bedding for the sputnik bed I gave them an old unwashed (euw :-? ) t-shirt of mine to sleep on, so they would be sleeping on something that smelled like Mum. This was a major hit with both ratties. :)

2. A new toy was bought for the lazy boy (Cicero) :dumbo: to play with. He has mostly ignored it though. :-|

3. Shoulder rides and lap cuddles with Atticus to encourage bonding, as per Jemma's suggestion. Oddly enough, when I sat on a chair in a smaller room with him, away from Cicero, he seemed to settle right down and was much quieter than usual, just nosing about. I also wandered round the house with him jabbering away more than usual. This morning we let him run around on the bed to burn off some steam. The husband is off sick so they played on the bed while I set up my work laptop (I work from home on a Friday). Every time I went into the room, Atticus ran over to greet me, and even if I was just moving around the room while I got dressed and as groomed as I can be bothered to be when no-one sees me, he would follow me by running round the edge of the bed and jump onto my shoulder at every chance! :D Best of all - NO BITING!!!!! Just a couple of kisses and a "groom the arm hair" nibble!!!! Wooohooooo! :-o :love:

Not quite going to celebrate yet as it has to last, but it is certainly progress! I'd post a photo, but I can't make Flickr behave and get them in here.
Rats: Atticus, Chinchilla: Columbine, Canary: Milk. House Rabbits: Juno and Verity, Degu: Ping, Higgs and Boson
RIP: Ratties: Cicero, Chinchilla: Bilberry, Gerbils: Warwick and Peveril, and Canaries: Fred, Ginger, Bosworth and Honey

flash-gordonette

Re: Progress with Atticus! Thanks Jemma!

Post by flash-gordonette » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 am

Great stuff :D
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am

I'm really glad it's starting to work for you, it will take a while to reinforce the behaviour but its really worth it. It's brill to see what can happen if your prepared to work for it :D :D
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Wiserabbit wrote:We tried the following:
1. Instead of rat safe paper bedding for the sputnik bed I gave them an old unwashed (euw :-? ) t-shirt of mine to sleep on, so they would be sleeping on something that smelled like Mum. This was a major hit with both ratties. :)

Aha! This is somthing I was concidering - I'm getting my next pair of rats in the next couple of weeks and I was thinking about stuffing a tea towel down my top for a day and then using it to line the cage when I get them in the hopes they'd get used to my smell faster. Now that I know you've done something similar I feel like less of a berk :D
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

maddy

Post by maddy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:57 pm

i've used an old t-shirt when my first groop rats were being looked after for a cupple of days at a friends house
and it worked really well
when i came back they were even more attatched to me than they were before i went away
new forum: feel free to join, , http://ratworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Wiserabbit

Post by Wiserabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:54 am

How about sleeping in a t shirt Lackis and giving them that? Then you wouldn't have a weird lump under your top!

Mind you, I'm a petite lady and can see the benefits of an artfully arranged tea towel!!!! :lol:
Rats: Atticus, Chinchilla: Columbine, Canary: Milk. House Rabbits: Juno and Verity, Degu: Ping, Higgs and Boson
RIP: Ratties: Cicero, Chinchilla: Bilberry, Gerbils: Warwick and Peveril, and Canaries: Fred, Ginger, Bosworth and Honey