really strange

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
emi85

really strange

Post by emi85 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:55 am

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteREALLY STRANGE
by emi85 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 am

hi all wondered if you could help
i noticed this eve as dumbo got out his hammock his left bk leg gave away 3 times then he just laid down which is really not normal for him so i got a rich tea to intise him over to try n show my partner but he wasnt intrested atall n dumbo loves his food but when he did come over his leg was fine ( what could that of been ? )
Also reggie his brother has been acting really werid tonight whenever dumbo went near him it was as if he was acting dead he would go up on his back legs but not move an inch while dumbo sniffed around him.
and we also noticed a bold patch on his back its about a size of half a match any ideas please x

louu

Re: really strange

Post by louu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 am

With additional observation you will be able to see whats going on with the two. But it does sound like Dumbo might be pushing his dominance onto reggie. I have never seen what it actually looks like but the bald spot sounds like his fur has been nipped by Dumbo and pulled out especially if Reggie is acting defensive (standing on hind legs)and frightened (staying stock still) of Dumbo. Though I'm just guessing, I have never seen it in person.

Now for a wild stab in the dark! I have no idea how rats react to low levels of vitamins and minerals (so dont take this to heart probably best to wait for the experienced guys for this one) but as a farmer I do know that ducks when they dont get a deficiancy their legs shake and give way some times of the day it is better than others but I really cant say for rats I guess until you get some better ideas just make sure your covering all the bases like be sure he hasnt injured it etc etc and if it persists a trip to the vet may be in order

Again I should emphasize that I havnt experienced this and I am probably WAY off the mark. I hope everything goes really well and that they dont develope into big problems! :luck:

yoshimi

Re: really strange

Post by yoshimi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 am

if this is something you've only seen once and other than that he seems fine and is using that leg, I would be tempted to put it down to something really simple like pins & needles or cramp (no reason for animals not to get either of those). The fighting just seems like normal squabbles, so unless they are drawing blood or making each other miserable I would leave them to get on with it. The only other thing to consider is how old your boys are as if they are around 8-9 months it's probably worth keeping an eye on them to make sure the fighting doesn't escalate as they could get quite hormonal.
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook