New rats - escapee!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
annc

New rats - escapee!

Post by annc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm

This afternoon two beautiful little 'sheepy' girls joined me. I am their third home - their age is unknown, but going by looks I should say 12 weeks or less! The first owner bought them - and almost immediately found she was pregnant. Her friend took them over - and rapidly fell pregnant!

The amazing thing is that I was looking for rat treats at the market a couple of weeks ago and met a friend of the person who was looking for a new home for her rats! There was a message on my answerphone when ~I came back on Sunday - and Amber and Jasmine arrived. Unfortunately when I tried to get them into the cage, both escaped!

While I was on the phone to Nick, Jasmine (rex black hooded) climbed back in the open door. No such luck with Amber! I keep nearly catching her but she moves SO fast! She seems more interested in the other rats' cage than her own, with food. I'm watching it, and also a carrier with food. I can hear her, so have some idea where she is, but I've never seen such skittish girls. I'm sure they must have been sold under age and never handledl Jasmine has just popped her head out to some food. I speak to her gently, and hope she will communicate with her cage-mate. If she was more handleable I'd take her with me when I take Ratilda and see how old he thinks she is. I can see her now, but don't wnat to frighten her.

The big problem is that I have severe leg pain at the moment and am finding it hard to get up and walk.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Amzy

Re: New rats - escapee!

Post by Amzy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 pm

My trick is to be very very quiet and hold a ramp or ladder nearby, or box or anything and wait til they climb on it, then pick it up :roll: usually they wont jump out or off!
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Is there any possibility of obtaining a humaine trap from rspca or somewhere, basicly a box with some treats in the back and a trap door that springs shut when they go inside. At least then you'll be able to catch her and hopefully get her into her cage.
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

annc

Post by annc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:43 pm

I've got one, so need to see how to set it up.

she keeps climbing the other cage, but notices my every movement!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.