Maybe more ratties :D

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Tammyrat

Maybe more ratties :D

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 am

Hi everybody!

So i am looking in to getting a pair of new girls to add to my current pair of ratties. My OH and I have always planned on getting another pair of girls when our current pair started to get older and if the worst happened to one of them, the other wouldnt be left completely alone.

We were planning to do this when the girls were about a year and a half old, but i have been looking at a breeders website who lives close to me and she has my ideal pair of girls coming up for sale in about 3 weeks. My two girls are just coming up to a year old and i was wondering what your thoughts were?
Do you think it would be a bad/good idea to get some new girls now??
What are the risks?
How do i introduce them???

Sorry for the overload of questions but i just thought i would ask them all now
Thank you all in advance,
Tammy x
Tammy xx
In love with 8 Ratties - Winnie, Nelly, Crumble, Doola, Spot, Sherbert, Dolly and Fizz.
Night night sweet Possum, Dini, Custard :dumbogirly:
A proud member of the Savic Royal club :D

KateR

Re: Maybe more ratties :D

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Go for it!
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

elinormck

Post by elinormck » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:08 am

I would go for it too...it can be quite tricky to find girls. I've just managed to get a pair after about a month of looking!
As for introducing I'm in the middle of it right now. I got 2 babies that are 9 weeks old and I'm trying to introduce them to my old girl Dot who is about 28 months. I made the mistake of only having 2 rats so when my other died Dot was left by herself.
I've had their cages close to each other for a week now so they can get used to each others smell. I tried introducing them on my bed which was neutral territory with not much success. One of the babies was terrified of Dot (she was being a bit grumpy...all puffed up and looking slightly evil!) and would run away whenever she came near. They weren't really interacting much so I decided to try the carrier method. Basically get a small animal carrier (the type you would get to take them to the vet) and put all the rats in it for a couple of hours at a time. I tried this for the first time last night and there seemed to be progress. After some initial squabbling (nothing too serious but lots of squeaking from the babies!) they settled down and all went to sleep together. I'm going to try it again tonight so fingers crossed!
After a few more days of this I plan to put them in a smallish cage together with no hammocks etc. Just food, water and bedding. Once they're all sleeping together on a regular basis I'll move them into the big cage once it's been thoroughly cleaned to remove any smell of Dot.
I've found it quite nerve-wracking introducing them. It's really hard not to intervene when you hear the babies squeaking but it is natural and you have to let them get on with it and sort out the hierarchy. As long as there's no blood you should really leave them to it but I'll admit I found it very hard not to get involved! :D

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 am

HI everyone!
Elinormck, thats what i want to prevent, haveing a really bonded pair of rats and then one passes away and im left with a poor, upset depressed ratty - i dont think I could see either of them like that so im really sorry that it happened to you.
My two girls are coming up to a year - in age not how long we have had them and i wasnt just sure how they would react. I'm also worried that my two girls will have less of a bond with me and be mad at me if i add more gilrs???
Thank you for your help everyone :)
Tammy xx
In love with 8 Ratties - Winnie, Nelly, Crumble, Doola, Spot, Sherbert, Dolly and Fizz.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm

you'll get loads of info on intros on this section of the forum. they can be as straightforward as just chuucking the newbies straight in, to much harder work taking a lot longer. We've had all sorts!

ETA whereabouts are you? There are always loads of rats in rescue, and breeders may have some readyish or you might have to go on a waiting list. We only keep girls and have never had a problem finding new ones - the exact opposite really!
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

faye1988

Post by faye1988 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Ive done intros with girls of all different ages, had a few tricky intros but mainly they have been straightforward. I dont think your girls will be mad at you at all, from my experience girls love having company, they have seem to have far more fun in a group. Id also have a look on the rehoming section of the forum as there are always lots of girls looking for forever homes.
:girly: Cookie, Cupcake, Dusty, Pixie, Pepper, Star :smileyrat:Boris, Bailey, Whisky, Monty, Tintin
:rainbow: RIP all those gone but never forgotten xx

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Ive heard of some horror stories and those are the ones that worry me :/
I'm sure my girls shouldnt be a problem they are both quite good natured, bith inquisitive etc.
When i do put them together, should the cage be empty??
Im in Cambridge by the way :D
Tammy xx

daffee

Post by daffee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:23 pm

We've never had any issues with girl introductions to be honest. The most they get is a few meetings on our bed before moving into the cage. Often it only takes one meeting and they're happy :girly:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

elinormck

Post by elinormck » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I think I was unlucky when I was looking for females. I contacted loads of rescue places and they all said the same thing 'normally we have loads of rats but at the moment we have none'. Which is obviously a good thing but it was a bit frustrating! I don't think your girls will love you any less if you get them new friends. I've felt a little bit bad for my old girl at times because she's obviously a bit unsure of the babies at the moment but I know she'll really appreciate the company in the long run. And even just having them in a cage next to her seems to have perked her up...she shadows the babies wherever they go in their cage!
It was very funny when we first got the babies. My OH had had the babies out for a cuddle up his jumper and then got Dot out straight after. She immediately puffed up, pee'd all over him and starting scenting frantically :lol: She was obviously unimpressed that the new upstarts had been on her human! Thankfully she's stopped all that now!
I actually got my babies through the rehoming section on this site. Had to drive for a couple of hours to collect them but it was worth it...they're gorgeous! :love:
It is hard because you do hear a lot of horror stories. Apparently it is very unusual for females to react with proper aggression tho. If you have 2 cages you could start by introducing them outside the cage..that way if there are any fights it's easier to intervene. And an empty cage is a good idea to start with to stop any territorial behaviour e.g. get off MY hammock! :D

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

You are all filling me with hope which is a good thing!
Just got to decide for sure whether we should get some now....i think we shoud :lol: Its my OH that needs persauding and we will need to get another cage.......
Tammy xx

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:34 pm

We have found a lady who has some girls ready in three weeks. They are gorgeous, im hoping the ones i really had my eye on are still available, but either way they are all so gorgeous. She is only about half an hours drive from me which is helpful. I only have one cage and thats where the porblem lies.....Luckily my girls are not hammock racts, they have one and dont use it, where as they have a cargo net and they LOVE that :D I think an empty cage will be the way forward though lol
Tammy xx

elinormck

Post by elinormck » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 pm

It wouldn't have to be a huge cage as should only be a temporary measure. You could try ebay...I got a Jenny rat cage for £20 which would normally sell for about £120 new! As for the OH...I had the same problem. I said if he could come up with one good reason why we shouldn't get more then we wouldn't...he couldn't and now we have them he adores the babies!

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Well i have just made and exectutive descision to get a pair hehe.
Im talking to the breeder tonight - hopefully she will still call me, and hopefully, fingers crossed people, i will be able to pick up a pair of girls in three weeks time wooooo!!!!!! Very excited :D

I hope it all goes well....luck and stuff is needed please haha!
Tammy xx

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

I hope it all goes well! I do think that one year old is a good age to 'add more rats' - your current ratties will still be young enough to play with the babies and not feel irritated by their playfulness and bouncy behaviour, lol. :wink: x

I've had lots of successful intro's with ratties though have had a couple of awkward ones. Am sure it will be ok and if you have any problems there will be plenty of people around to help you xx :D
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Im sure it will be fine. My girls are amazing so hopefully they will be fine. Dini is the silliest of the two and is interested in everything and is so social its funny. She loves to play and chase etc. Custard is slightly less social but is still happy to play and equally as silly!

Im so excited. Im off to see them on Sunday and im already so unbelievably so excited i can even descirbe it. I feel awful because i dont want to bother the breeded but i have so many questions and im so excited i cant help it (So if your reading i'm very sorry).

Im off to buy new toys etc for them and their cage in a couple of weeks before i go and pick them up, and im collecting bits and pieces to make things for them :) Ive gone copletely bonkers.
Tammy xx