do rats mourn?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
p d w

do rats mourn?

Post by p d w » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

hello,i have 3 rats stan 27 months old geo&trots both 17 months old.geo & stan have to be put to sleep,do i need to give trots time on his own before introducing him to my new young boys of 7 weeks? how you can help me don't want him to be lonely. thanks

daffee

Re: do rats mourn?

Post by daffee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry for your loss. :(

Rats definitely grieve, but meeting new friends is more likely to help them get over their loss sooner. :halo:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 pm

A rat grieving on his own is such an awful and heartwrenching sight. I would even be tempted to start intros between trots and the little ones before hand on a neutral ground. They'll help him recover from his grief
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

HannahJ82

Post by HannahJ82 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:17 am

They do mourn, it's awful to watch, so just try to spend as much time and attention as you can on your rat to reassure him. Oh, also keep an eye on his eating/drinking if he's inclined to go off food. Maybe look at adopting a new friend from a rescue centre if there's one nearby? :)
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Sun May 02, 2010 12:36 pm

I have a rat on his own atm, just after he has lost two of his best mates. It was horrible seeing him so down. He refused to even look or aknowledge at me or my OH. He'd just sit all day in the corner of his cage. But we are spending all the time we can with him and he seems to be returning to his normal crazy self. We take him out in his carrier for a days out. But he LOVES it when we let him in our bed. He runs down to the bottom under the sheets and curls up by our feet. As they are the most rattie sized. He's a wonderful fluffy foot warmer. You could try this? But be prepared so some sheet munching. Fargo's stopped it now. But he couldn't resist a good nibble when he first went in the bed. We now have a ramp up onto our bedside table, so he can go in the bed whenever he likes and he just sleeps there all day. I take him food and water (I'm a total rat slave!! :lol:) and give him scritches. He loves the bed and lettinghim sleep in it has really cheered him up!
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 pm

They do grieve. When Max lost Toby he became very withdrawn but I introduced him to my other bucks who were about 6 months old at the time and he soon perked up. He even acts like a younger buck now!

I think the best thing to do would be to introduce him to your kittens or get a friend for him. If a rat is visibly depressed by being on his own I don't think its fair to keep him like that if you can do something about it.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Sun May 02, 2010 5:11 pm

They definately do. My Jasper was PTS on Friday, leaving Carrot (Jasper's brother) on his own. He's very withdrawn, has lost his appetite a bit and isn't as interactive as he normally is. Luckily I'm getting 3 kittens hopefully sometime next week, fingers crossed this perks him up again!
I'd definately start intro's asap, to take his mind off his loss. :love:
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Mon May 03, 2010 11:59 am

When we had our dear Chrichton PTS, and didn't come back from the vets I'd never seen Fargo so subdued. I picked him up and his head was all floppy and hanging. It was a horrible sight to see.

But I also think they know when we are upset too...and they pick up our body language and 'energy' (i.e state of mind) as well. Because of this, when we mourn I think they mourn too, if they are very close bonded to us. With both Ashes and Chrichton's passing, I found Fargo was his worst when I missed them alot. But when I started to think about other things and start come to terms with their passing, Fargo perked up and started coming out more and letting me give him cuddles again.
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts: