getting my boys nurted

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
ratyrat

getting my boys nurted

Post by ratyrat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi im about to get my boys nurted erm can somone tell me some good and bad points about them as i heard there are high risk if them not making it when they are alseep..any tips ect will make me feel better...as my boys arnt getting on and they are off for a chop but i got a vet this afternoon at 4.50 to check up on them before they can go ahead with the op :S

so what about food and water are they ok to eat and drink before hand or shouldn't they?

(sorry for my bad spelling)
R.I.P simba, tenchi and yosho :rainbow:
R.I.P Mink and Bleu :rainbow:
Happy owner of (girls) sasami and ryoko!. (boys) Light and Ryuk
So far i owned 9 rats! (all together)

MistressSadako

Re: getting my boys nurted

Post by MistressSadako » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 pm

let me just check...you mean neutered yes?
If so, I've had 2 boys neutered, and about 10 girls have lumps removed under anaesthetic and all of them have been fine :D
Just make sure that your vet uses anaesthetic gas (like sevoflurine/isoflurine) and not injectables, as I've read a few times about rats taking a long time to come round after they've been injected with anaesthetic.
Best of luck :luck:
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 pm

yes thanks for that...:) sorry about the spelling im stressed out today and in a bit of a rush doing things -.-....will let u know later and see what the vet thinks

daffee

Post by daffee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Provided you have a vet experienced/knowledgeable with rats and a generally healthy rat a neuter should be a relatively straight-forward and low-risk operation.

Rats can eat right up until surgery.

:luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 pm

just got back from the vet kinda of a wasted trip, but they booked me in for them on 23rd of june cos the person who can do it is on holiday! :angryrat:

louisealex

Post by louisealex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:59 pm

I had my 2 boys done last thursday.They were a bit quiet the night of the op,but by the next morning they were totally back to normal.
They went for their post op check today,and the nurse said it was hard to tell they'd even had an op..xx
p.s they can eat and drink as normal before and after they go.x

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:30 pm

thanks for that...is there any tips on keeping and eye on them so they dont rip their cut open or do they like glue it and not use stitch?

louisealex

Post by louisealex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm sure that someone with more medical knowledge will come along.But it looked like my boys only had a little cut.I presume(may be wrong) that they just whipped them out (a bit like keyhole surgery?)and the bit that was sewn up was a bit like a purse string.Nobody said anything about stiches,the whole cut thing was only about half an inch long.It didnt seem to bother them at all.they certainly didn't worry at the wound.x

circusrats

Post by circusrats » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I've just had Jake done and it seemed pretty straight-forward, just a couple of little cuts. The vets said they use dissolvable stiches inside and glue outside and he's not had any problems with them (thought he might rip himself up a bit cos he tends to destroy anything he can get to). Did seem a bit groggy for a while from the anaesthetic, which was a welcome change really cos he's a bit mad :-? Now we just need to wait and see if it's sorted out his aggression issues...

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

circusrats wrote:I've just had Jake done and it seemed pretty straight-forward, just a couple of little cuts. The vets said they use dissolvable stiches inside and glue outside and he's not had any problems with them (thought he might rip himself up a bit cos he tends to destroy anything he can get to). Did seem a bit groggy for a while from the anaesthetic, which was a welcome change really cos he's a bit mad :-? Now we just need to wait and see if it's sorted out his aggression issues...
hehe yeah one of my boys is a nutter and he likes to pick and rips things even my scab so that is why im worryed but if it fine and only a small cut , then it should be ok :)

so how long should i wait before i can get the boys back togther again and see if they get on was it 2 weeks? also then i can into them to my girls

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:29 pm

just letting u know they are in tomorrow...will keep and updates

circusrats

Post by circusrats » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:44 pm

I was told about a month for their hormones to sort themselves out, although apparently it can vary quite a bit. Not sure about fertility, I had Jake done to try and stop his aggression so it wasn't really relevant to me.

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 pm

I have just had my boy Hekla done. But it turns out that he was allergic to the stitches used so he got an infection on both sides of his groin. Keep and eye on your boy afterward for infection, as ratty bums are very close to the ground, but if his cage is clean that shouldn't really be a problem...He probably will chew his stitches, as you can't watch him while you sleep :wink: but usually they don't do much damage.

Ive had three boys done, all sucessful and no problems with them not waking up :)

Also I'd make sure you have metacam (get a perscription from your vet) for a few days afterwards as they WILL be in pain...
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 pm

batty_rat wrote:I have just had my boy Hekla done. But it turns out that he was allergic to the stitches used so he got an infection on both sides of his groin. Keep and eye on your boy afterward for infection, as ratty bums are very close to the ground, but if his cage is clean that shouldn't really be a problem...He probably will chew his stitches, as you can't watch him while you sleep :wink: but usually they don't do much damage.

Ive had three boys done, all sucessful and no problems with them not waking up :)

Also I'd make sure you have metacam (get a perscription from your vet) for a few days afterwards as they WILL be in pain...

ah thanks...got my boys back now they are ok and good sleepy but they are drinking and eatting...vet told me that if the rat stop eating it not a good sign.....i see if i could check on their op but they did it on their balls! O.o i thought they would do it near his male thing on the belly...they told me that they used a stitched inside and glued it, so back in again in 2 days to check them up.......and they told me that they are all druged up so it lasted for a week so i dont have to worry about them in pain

ratyrat

Post by ratyrat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:58 pm

one of my boy wont leave his balls alone. grr it so annoying having to stop him every sec