Left with lone ratty

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
bagpuss123

Left with lone ratty

Post by bagpuss123 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Having a horrible time of it at the moment and havn't used the forum for a while but suddenly thought of it and thought this might be the best place to turn too. I had four lovely ladies up until recently then we lost one a couple of months ago with minimal warning. Another a couple of months later one died in her sleep and one of the ratlets is currently battleing a coughy thing and isn't looking great.

And I'm crying away about poor little Inca. But I'm even more upset about how Pepper is going to feel when she's the only ratlet left. Me and my partner both work 9-5 so we can't be with her all day. And we don't want to start the circle of getting more babies. But the thought of Pepper being left on her own is just horrible. She's always lived in a group. She was a rescue and had a rough start in life. She's coming up to two but full of life. But she's def a rats rat and always prefered her friends to us if you know what I mean.

What can I do? Fingers crossed Inca will pull though but she's never been particularly strong being the runt of the litter.

It's all just so horrible.

Rhi01

Re: Left with lone ratty

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:38 am

I'm sorry to hear about all the losses you've suffered recently and hope Inca is okay.

I think its only fair in this case to either find a couple of foster rats to keep Pepper company until she passes away then you can return the them, rehome Pepper to someone with other rats or adopt older rats although I find these intro's are more difficult.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

lcp298

Post by lcp298 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm

I was going to post the same question, I have 3 girls (two are 2 1/2 years, and one is about 2 years). The older girls both have lumps and due to their age (and both having had lumps removed already) I decided not to put them through operations again. One of them is getting pretty large and I don't think it'll be long before she's fed up with it and I decide to let her go.

I can foresee having just one girl left. I have boys as well and don't want to get any more girls. She could live for months after they have gone.

What do people recommend? It could be a long time on her own? I could have her spayed and live with the boys but she might be a bit old for that by then.

Any thoughts welcome.

pineappletastic

Post by pineappletastic » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 pm

lcp298 wrote:I was going to post the same question, I have 3 girls (two are 2 1/2 years, and one is about 2 years). The older girls both have lumps and due to their age (and both having had lumps removed already) I decided not to put them through operations again. One of them is getting pretty large and I don't think it'll be long before she's fed up with it and I decide to let her go.

I can foresee having just one girl left. I have boys as well and don't want to get any more girls. She could live for months after they have gone.

What do people recommend? It could be a long time on her own? I could have her spayed and live with the boys but she might be a bit old for that by then.

Any thoughts welcome.
Could you get some neutered boys to live with her and they could join your boys' group when she goes? I think neutering a boy is less risky than spaying a girl, especially as you might be able to find ready-done ones?
Andrea
Owned by Nestor, until I can get him back home.
Missing Castor and Pollux, Del Boy and Rodney, and Orpheus.

lcp298

Post by lcp298 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 am

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of it that way round. One of the boys is younger than the others so if I can match ages, it could potentially stop it happening to him too. Thanks :-)

iadorerats

Post by iadorerats » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

dont worry i have a doe who lost her pal a year back, i'm out from 8-4 so the same day length in effect, she is doing fine, i get up at 6:45 in the morning get her out for 15-45 mins, then later i usually get her out 6ish for another 20. On sat and sun i get her out for 2 hours at a time in the morning as im busy in the evenings. She loves this routine, and I give her a variety of flavours to try such a brocolli, kidney beans, spag bol <she loves, mild curry (korma), rice,spaghetti, carrot, apple , nectarine, yoghurt and chocolate drops from pets at home (chocolate is her favourite) and other things. I also give her a loose handful of reggie rat in the morning and evening (the suggested diet) but when i clean her out (2x a week) i bury the reggie rat mix with her bedding avoiding her area's for excretion. She also has a hammok which she loves, rope, wooden bridge and triangle. She rests in her hammock in the day and she loves it, she couldn't be more happy, i have been told to not add others as that will bring up the same problem later and they may fight, she seems very content as a single lady.

Hope this helps iadorerats
iadorerats-pixie,snacks,trixie,pip. Happy to help and ask...

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I don't agree with lone rats as they are social creatures and can become depressed on their own because no matter how much attention you give a rat it will never be the same as the company from another rat nor can you be there 24/7.

Reggie rat isn't a recommended brand of food due the lack of nutrients. Here is some info for you:
The General Principles of Feeding Rats
The Shunamite Diet

I also suggest investing in The Scuttling Gourmet 3 which will give you alot of information on feeding rats and is available from places like The Rat Warehouse.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.