OLd depressed rat, any tips on cheering up?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Katie857

OLd depressed rat, any tips on cheering up?

Post by Katie857 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 pm

My old male rat will be 3 in December has outlived all the other rats he lived with and now is unable to climb up the cage because of weak back legs and now lives at the bottom of the cage. To cheer him up i have moved his cage next to the cage which has my two female rats in and this has made him a bit happier. Just wanted some tips on how i can make his life more enjoyable, baring in mind i am not allowed to get anymore male rats and he has limited mobility.

:sadrat:

DJSteeltoe

Re: OLd depressed rat, any tips on cheering up?

Post by DJSteeltoe » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

I would recommend giving him as much attention as you can, snuggle him close as many times a day as possible.
RIP Hank, Geezer, Dio, Fast Eddie, Christ, Elvis, Princess Powederpuff - may you all have an auspicious rebirth

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am

Would you be allowed to "borrow" a friend or two until the sad inevitable happens?

Failing that I would make/give him a nice squishy cuddly toy to snuggle next to :)
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

Katie857

Post by Katie857 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I cuddle him every day and there is no chance of another rat, any tips on any tasty food that could cheer him up?

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm

My old boy loved cucumber when he was by himself. He also like a bit of my toast in the morning with a smidgen of nutella. Have you thought about taking him out and about in a carrier? He will love all the new smells and sounds (as long as they arn't too loud) and will take his mind off the loss of his friend. I did that with my boy when he was by himslef, and it certainly cheered him up. Also have you thought about putting a hot water bottle in his cage bed at night? With these cold nights he will definatley miss his buddly to snuggle up to and keep warm with, and a hot water bottle is the closest thing he will have to a snuggle buddy :)
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

miknicholl

Post by miknicholl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi
check the ratandspoon.com http://www.ratandspoon.com/recipes.html i hope it helps its a brillant web site check it out