new rat!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
jjbean

new rat!

Post by jjbean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 am

iv decided to get a friend for my lone male gus.

gus has been around other rats but when he was recently introduced to my boyfriends rat buddy, he tried to hump him. gus has also been biting, but not hard enough to break the skin, im not sure if he just has a hard test bite or if its out of frustration, i was thinking of getting him neutered to calm him down.

if i do get gus neutered though im not sure whether its best to get a female or male friend, or if it will matter... any advice will be appreciated :)
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

SpoonRat

Re: new rat!

Post by SpoonRat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am

If you get him neutered I don't think it really matters, an intact male or a doe would be fine. I'm not sure exactly how long you have to wait after neutering before intoducing a doe though, at least 2 weeks I believe. It's great you're thinking about getting him a friend, he'll be much happier. Humping isn't really an issue, it's just a way of asserting dominance over another rat. Not sure about his biting, maybe he's just lonely or perhaps it is just his hormones making him a little aggressive - I don't have much experience with bucks I'm afraid! :)
Owned by rats since 2000
http://www.ratandspoon.com
The Girls: Astraea - Eos - Persephone - Bramble - Frankie - Ash - Fern - Jessica Rabbit - Wispa - Ambrosia
The Boys: Stilton - Clawson

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:52 am

do u know what an unspayed female temperament is usually like? i just want two happy rats who dont feel the need to bite, i dont mind either male or female but i heard when females go into heat they can get grumpy, and this is every four days?? i doubt they would always just be grumpy then... i've only had gus a month, no rats before so i am clueless when it comes to rats really.
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

faye1988

Post by faye1988 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:01 am

I dont think females are grumpy when on heat, sometimes you cant really tell when they are on. If he is neutered then it wouldnt matter if his friends where male or female. The humping is just a dominance thing. Im not sure if you mean biting the other rat during intros or biting you...
:girly: Cookie, Cupcake, Dusty, Pixie, Pepper, Star :smileyrat:Boris, Bailey, Whisky, Monty, Tintin
:rainbow: RIP all those gone but never forgotten xx

hlcasey

Post by hlcasey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 am

I have 10 females currently and have had a lot more come and go over the years. They are more crazy than grumpy when in heat, only two of my females are spayed (as one had pyometra and the other was a precautionary measure). Humping is a dominance thing, my girls all hump each other, I rarley see them try to hump my neutured boy though lol. Even though my boy is neutured he still chases the girls when they are in heat.
I <3 my ratties

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 am

faye1988, when i first got him he bit out of fear, i could tell this was the reason as he broke the skin. hes bitten since but not broken the skin and he doesn't bite everyday. when he was introduced to buddy he bit a few times in the same night.

thanks for the advice on females, i will decide male or female when gus has been neutered :)
Gus and Jaq <3

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 am

oh and i meant hes bitten me
Gus and Jaq <3

faye1988

Post by faye1988 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am

ok thanks. Sounds like quite a good intro then if all thats happening is abit of humping and he may not need neutering.
:girly: Cookie, Cupcake, Dusty, Pixie, Pepper, Star :smileyrat:Boris, Bailey, Whisky, Monty, Tintin
:rainbow: RIP all those gone but never forgotten xx