Introducing cats to rats

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
StormySkye

Introducing cats to rats

Post by StormySkye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:32 am

Hi all, I'm new here :)

Tonight I decided I had to take the step and introduce my cat to my babies. It would've happened sooner or later, and I'd rather it be a supervised meeting! I left the ratties in their cage, obviously.

Anyway, Silky (the cat) tensed up when she saw them and so I held onto her and she just watched them for ages. She's about 10 now, so she considers this HER house and probably will take some time to adjust.

She seemed okay, but since then I've found her trying to sneak into the room with the rats, even though I've got the door shut.

I can't have my eye on her 24/7, so any tips or advice on getting them to co-exist? The ratties didn't have a care in the world, they just sort of glanced at her and carried on with playing.

Any tips or advice would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with both rats and cats :lol:
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

BasilTheRat

Re: Introducing cats to rats

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 am

I have a very simple policy, the rats are in my room, the door to my room is ALWAYS closed unless I am in my room, in which case I let the cat in, but supervised at all times! Anything else is just not worth the risk in my opinion.....
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Scarlett44

Post by Scarlett44 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:04 pm

BasilTheRat wrote:I have a very simple policy, the rats are in my room, the door to my room is ALWAYS closed unless I am in my room, in which case I let the cat in, but supervised at all times! Anything else is just not worth the risk in my opinion.....
I'm exactly the same. The door to the rat room is ALWAYS closed unless me or the OH are in there.
The cat wandered in this morning and I picked her up. She just slouched in my arms and watched the rats for a while. They didn't seem to give a toss, but Meg (the cat) jumped a bit when they came near the front of the cage :)
The Girls in their SRS...Bella, Dolly, Lily, Chiyo, Roxy, Phoebe, Lola, and Maybelle.
The Boys in their Furet XL...Jack, Charlie and Sam.

Scarlett44

Post by Scarlett44 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D x
The Girls in their SRS...Bella, Dolly, Lily, Chiyo, Roxy, Phoebe, Lola, and Maybelle.
The Boys in their Furet XL...Jack, Charlie and Sam.

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome :) Yeah I'll be keeping my door closed as often as possible, but sometimes it can't be helped and I just want to make sure they'll be safe. My cat never goes near the budgie, and there's no door keeping the cat out, so I want the same indifference towards the rats :P

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 pm

We weren't 100% sure what to do when we got Oscar (he's a dog, but it's the same sort of problem) as he is a terrier (cross), born to chase small things. The rats are in a separate room in our house, but he knew something was in there and started digging at the door. So we let him in to have a look, and he just watched them. They weren't fussed by him at all.

My computer is in there, so Oscar comes in when I go to do my work, and he just watches them, or goes to sleep under the Explorer. The rats don't care, if anything they are more curious. Angry Baby Nilda ran up to the bars and foofed at him, and Oscar replied by play-bowing in front of the cage. He is very good around them, but he is not allowed in the room unless I am in there with him, or if they are out of the cage (obviously).
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:28 pm

My rats are in the living room and the cats are allowed in there all the time. I've had both the cats since they were kittens and they've never been bothered by the rats at all. If anything the cats are definitely more wary than the rats, but basically neither of them pays any attention with each other. If I thought that the cats were in ANY way a threat to the rats then they wouldn't be allowed in the room unsuprvised, and obviously the rats free range in a room where the cats aren't allowed. I think because my cats don't get outside they don't have the same "hunter" drive.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:31 pm

MistressSadako wrote:My rats are in the living room and the cats are allowed in there all the time. I've had both the cats since they were kittens and they've never been bothered by the rats at all. If anything the cats are definitely more wary than the rats, but basically neither of them pays any attention with each other. If I thought that the cats were in ANY way a threat to the rats then they wouldn't be allowed in the room unsuprvised, and obviously the rats free range in a room where the cats aren't allowed. I think because my cats don't get outside they don't have the same "hunter" drive.
That's a good point. I know my cat is a mouser, and wouldn't hesitate to kill one of my rats given the chance....
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

wizzyjo

Post by wizzyjo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Providing the cage is safe and the cat cant get it open at all, I wouldnt worry too much. I have a cat and although he is never allowed in the room while the cage is open, I have no problem with him being in the room when the cage is locked and the rats are inside of it. The rats dont mind and the cat doesnt pay any attention as hes used to them. However, my cat isnt the hunting type. If he was and he seemed to get agitated around them or where he tried to get into the cage, I would keep the door locked to prevent the rats becoming scared (:
Mammy to 3 beautiful boys; Peppin, Ricco and Noodle.
Rest in peace Sam and Beany. Brothers now reunited in rat heaven <3 Rest peacefully my Waldo, never forgotten.

jemzwhitehouse

Post by jemzwhitehouse » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I am trying to keep Binka and Genevieve away from Iris and Juno at the moment. I don't want to give them any more stress. I let the cats bug the gerbils and hamsters instead cause they are used to them!!!!!
Jemz, Iris and Juno x x x

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:11 pm

I used to have a cat who was the most terrific hunter - you name it, she hunted it. I also had a cage of ratties in the living room. Whilst Mattie would hunt "outside ratties", she never made any attempt to harm the "indoor ratties". I think it might have been because, she once tried to sniff them through the bars and got her nose nipped by them and then squirted with a water pistol by me. She got the idea that even looking at the ratties wasn't a good idea. After that, she simply ignored them ... in fact, more than that, she actively pretended that they didn't exist :lol: I think she was embarrassed that there was a colony of "the enemy" in her living room, so just went into denial about it.

ShinyRainbow

Post by ShinyRainbow » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Alijane wrote:I used to have a cat who was the most terrific hunter - you name it, she hunted it. I also had a cage of ratties in the living room. Whilst Mattie would hunt "outside ratties", she never made any attempt to harm the "indoor ratties". I think it might have been because, she once tried to sniff them through the bars and got her nose nipped by them and then squirted with a water pistol by me. She got the idea that even looking at the ratties wasn't a good idea. After that, she simply ignored them ... in fact, more than that, she actively pretended that they didn't exist :lol: I think she was embarrassed that there was a colony of "the enemy" in her living room, so just went into denial about it.
That was exactly the same as what happened with my cat and a cockatiel I had. The cat got bitten on the nose by Sigmund when he stuck his nose through the bars and since then never bothered with him or any small animals in my bedroom! :lol: He would watch gerbils though, probably because they are quick at scurrying about (when we got the cat my rats at the time were already old men! :) )
~*~ :girly: Maya ~*~ :girly: Pearl ~*~ :dumbogirly: Blossom ~*~ :girly: Clover ~*~

~*~ :rainbow: Brothers reunited at the bridge - Dexter & Casey :hearts: ~*~

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! My cat definitely isn't a hunter, she's actually scared of wild mice (pathetic lol) but I just really wanted to see how other people handle things. I'll definitely be keeping the door shut, and not letting her in unsupervised. Plus, the cage door is always locked. Thanks again everyone!! :)

msmara

Post by msmara » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 am

When I tried introducing my kitten to my rats, the rat bit her!!! Stewie never bites, but apparently he didnt care for her. So i never bothered to try again. They're brill with dogs tho, my partner's auntie has a german sheppard x collie & my rats have been known to climb on his back & ride around on him. I'm pretty sure they think they're kings :love:
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Mara, that's so cute!!