Biting Problems

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Tweak

Biting Problems

Post by Tweak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 pm

I must first admit to being a total newbie to rats. I got my rats around 2 or even 3 months ago. When I first tried handling I found they both tried biting me, sniffing me a few times over and then biting. I have tried talking to get them used to my voice, putting my hand in everyday to get them used to it, occasionally stroking if they arent already trying to bite.
I have ended up using gloves but even then there seems to be no signs of any improvement with both still trying to bite.
One of them seems to be doing it ot of nerves the other just seems interested in eating and biting :-|
Any advice would be really helpful

StormySkye

Re: Biting Problems

Post by StormySkye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:28 am

Where abouts did you get them? Unfortunately if it was from a pet shop then they probably haven't been handled properly, and they bite because they only know hands as scary things that grab them and put them in a box and then grab again and put them in a strange place.
What you're doing with getting them used to your voice and hands is a really good thing. Keep doing it, and also try putting their favourite food in your palm. That helps them to see that you're good, not bad.
Another tip is giving them a piece of your old clothing to sleep in/play in, because they'll learn to associate your smell with safety. I gave mine an old t-shirt that already had holes in it. Make sure it smells like you, so either unwashed or shove it under your top while you sleep during the night before giving it to them.
Best of luck, and don't give up!
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.