Anybody else have rats who do this?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
batty_rat

Anybody else have rats who do this?

Post by batty_rat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 am

We'll this morning all my boys were snuggled up in their hammocky box that we have just recently bought them. The Fargo heard me and moved faster than I've seen him move in the last 6 months. He really wanted free range :lol: Then Hekla followed and then Semper. I openend the top right part of the explorer to give my two hoodied and good fussing over, and Hekla was having none of it so hot down the ladders down to the open door and ladder at the bottom. Semper was still at the top. He decided he was going to go down the unconventional way. He decided he was gonna try going down the front of the explorer without a door to go down :roll: My heart was in my mouth as I look across and see him ready to launch himself at in invisible platfrorm outside the top shelf of the explorer! :roll: So I race over and show him where the ladder for the way down is. Nope, didnt want to used it. He was so hellbent on trying to get on an invisible platform! He was leaning so far out the cage he lost his balance, but then somehow managed to flip himself so he was hanging onto the underside of the shelf! :lol: :lol: I could see him hanging there going 'hang on a sec....How'd I get here? DARN!' *blink blink*

He's so silly! He makes me laugh all the time :lol:

Anybody else have rats who do stuff like that?
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

beff_face

Re: Anybody else have rats who do this?

Post by beff_face » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 am

Yes!

Mine like to fling themselves from the top of the cage to the bottom when they are allowed out. Or they climb halfway down then just let go. Then wonder why they landed in a head on the floor. Remy is more of a master though, he has a big jump.
Beth
:love: Milo :love: Remy :love: Oliver Twist

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Yep, Lily likes to run as fast as she can along the bed end and, as she's a PEW doesn't have fantastic vision, wonders why she ends up on the floor or bed. Just the night before last she did an accidental somersault off the end :o Silly girl :D
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

My rats fling themselves from the top of the cage to the bottom when the doors open, or food appears... they never used to do it, then my big heavy breeder bucks discovered it, and are now too lazy to make the effort to climb down; nope, they just throw themselves off the edge! It was a nightmare when they were in the abode :o I'd just be dropping off to sleep and then CRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now they all do it :roll:
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

sati18

Post by sati18 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Hmmm mine are less about the throwing themselves off and more about pushing the competition out of the way when i'm fumbling with a treat for each of them. You see one, two, three rats plop off the edge of the shelf onto the hammock below (specifically put there for that purpose) and one devious one still on the shelf awaiting the first yoggie :roll:
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Nix frequently falls from the top of the cage to the bottom in her haste to get out the cage. Nix is a bit 'special' though :D
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

I've just read your post, Batty. Phew! I thought you were going to talk about bank robbing, money laundering, protection rackets and such like ... :lol:

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm

My girlie esmerelda loves trying to get onto the window sill from a tiny mirror I have, it's no taller than a carrier and my sill is rather high up, and she launches herself off the mirror and just falls flat on the ground :roll:
and then when that fails, goes onto my full length mirror and can't be bothered to climb back down and just jumps straight onto the floor :o
the first time she done this I had a heart attack, because she must have been thinking how did I get down here? she wasn't moving and I was just in such a panic I put her in the carrier over night thinking she had really hurt herself and then she started having a right hoof about it all and ended up running about in this carrier, biting on the door and I was convinced she was having a panic attack or something because she couldn't breath :oops: but she just really wanted to get out of the carrier because she wanted free range time :B
I've never over reacted so much in my life :lol:
darn rats :roll:

ETA /rant haha.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Alijane wrote:I've just read your post, Batty. Phew! I thought you were going to talk about bank robbing, money laundering, protection rackets and such like ... :lol:
Don't get me started on bank robbing...I found two ratty sized balaclavas (they even had holes for their ears!) and one retro ratty sized robbers mask :-| They better not be planning what I think they're planning. Ah well if they are, I won't be leaving any DNA behind so they won't suspect me, let alone the rats :lol: Hekla's so naughty, but he makes me rich, so I don't mind and I'll always be his aliby :lol:
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Did I tell you about the night that Majeeka launched herself off the top of their cage inside a pouch. I thought she had killed herself. My heart missed a beat that night.
Out of my mind . . . . . . . back in 5 minutes!!

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow:

msmara

Post by msmara » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 am

StormySkye wrote:Yep, Lily likes to run as fast as she can along the bed end and, as she's a PEW doesn't have fantastic vision, wonders why she ends up on the floor or bed. Just the night before last she did an accidental somersault off the end :o Silly girl :D
:lol: my pink eyes smeezes do that!!
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

iadorerats

Post by iadorerats » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 pm

My rat's do this all the time, life's a massive playground, just relax and let them do their thing, from iadorerats & Pip
iadorerats-pixie,snacks,trixie,pip. Happy to help and ask...

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm

My little uns think the only way in and out of the cage is out of the top and down the side. Theres an arm chair near the cage and one has also taken to jumping from the top of the cage to the chair! Its a good metre gap aswell :o
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts: