Does squeking always mean protest/distress?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Naisy

Does squeking always mean protest/distress?

Post by Naisy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 pm

...because Charlie occassionally squeaks a lot during cuddles. Not every time. I've checked for lumps and bumps and to see if anywhere is hurting him. He happily dashes about the place, and it's always him that decides to come for his cuddles and scritches. He'll go really squishy and then either start grooming my hands while I tickle his tummy/stroke him/scritch/generally just hold him, or squeak. and it's a different squeak to his "meh" protest squeak... He doesn't seem distressed, or try to get away or anything like that... I am puzzled. :-?
Naomi
Proud mummy of Charlie and Emilio, born 27th June 2010.

Naisy

Re: Does squeking always mean protest/distress?

Post by Naisy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Can't believe I spelt squeaking wrong in the subject title... :oops:
Naomi

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 pm

A squeak isn't always a sign of protest, I think. I've seen videos where rats squeak in response to being tickled, but are plainly enjoying it as they make no attempt whatsoever to escape - it sounds like that may be the case here too :)
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

Naisy

Post by Naisy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:39 pm

That's what I was hoping. He makes no attempt at all to get away, just lies there like a wally or grooms me! Little sausage :D
Naomi

lechien

Post by lechien » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 pm

wow, could that be what my rats are doing too? they never squeak when i handle them, but they squeak at each other all the time. i always thought it was friendly squabbles because they cuddle together and all. they do sometimes squeak for real when they are trying to pin each other down, but i wonder if the mild ones are actually the sign of enjoyment? they seem to do this all the time when one is grooming the other. i thought they were hurting each other with not-so-skilled grooming skills...

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

My Rosie is the squeakiest rat I have ever met. She squeaks when I pick her up, which is sometimes a protest, but often just an indication that she has noticed (which, given Rosie's general dopiness is probably something to be encouraged). She squeaks and even squeals if here is anything going on in the cage that worries her - like the others having a fight or someone being pinned or an unexpected blueberry suddenly appearing in the food bowl. She squeaks when she sees a rat she knows - a sort of gentle ee ee ee ee. She squeals if she can see her mum and can't get to her (which, given that Rosie is almost two really is a bit much ... and it hacks Lola, who is mum, off no end). She's just incredibly vocal. The others in the cage aren't at all and I think that Rosie gives them a headache sometimes.

Naisy

Post by Naisy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 am

Alijane wrote:...She squeaks and even squeals if here is anything going on in the cage that worries her - like ...an unexpected blueberry suddenly appearing in the food bowl...
Awww! :)
Naomi

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Naisy wrote:
Alijane wrote:...She squeaks and even squeals if here is anything going on in the cage that worries her - like ...an unexpected blueberry suddenly appearing in the food bowl...
Awww! :)
Alijane, you've just made me spit out oat cake crumbs all over my mates laptop! That's super funny!
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

Rodie

Post by Rodie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:38 am

Alijane wrote:- a sort of gentle ee ee ee ee.
Yeah I've seen this with our Daisy. She'll sometimes be starfished on the bars looking at the boys cage doing this, and the boys will all be watching her, the tart!!!
:girly: Daisy, Saffron, Poppy, :dumboteen: Millie, Misty and :teen: Blossom
:smileyrat: Rodie, Bandit, Pest, :teen: Smee, :dumboteen: Sooty and Sweep

qubicpotato

Post by qubicpotato » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:36 am

We've acquired 4 of the squeakiest girls Ive come across ever recently. They squeak at everything (have to try adding a blueberry to the cage!), whether they are having fun or grumping at each other. I think sometimes, some rats just like to make a noise (this said by someone who hasnt slept due to the racket all 9 ratties were making during the night lol)!

iadorerats

Post by iadorerats » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

If you pick a rat up and they squeak, you need to cuddle them tight to your stomach so they feel safe and secure, it is usually a sign of stress and discomfort but usually this can be down to handling of the breeder (lack of handling) Rats grind their teeth when they are happy, cuddle them close or let them curl around you neck and you will generally hear this.

Iadorerats and Pip :girly:
iadorerats-pixie,snacks,trixie,pip. Happy to help and ask...

J-Bean

Post by J-Bean » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:10 pm

My last pair of rats included a cute little guy named Dave (apparently my brother, who named him, couldn't come up with anything original). He was shy at first but once he got used to the way the other rat (Fergus) came to me for attention he became just as 'me! me! me!' as Fergus. Every tie I picked him up he gave a little squeak. He never bit me, he never wriggled, he never ran away, so I assume he wasn't distressed or anxious. He loved being lifted onto my shoulder where he'd sit and sniff my ear and eat his treats. I doubt the squeak was pleasure because I doubt being picked up is that great. Maybe it was just an instinctive reaction to being lifted from the ground. Surely this, along with all other testimony from other members, is sure proof that squeaking isn't always distress.

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Out of 24 rats I've got one (Excaliber) who is very audible, she seems to squeak at cagemates through annoyance and to dissuade them from attempting to steal things from her and as she pootles around generally... She squeaks at me occasionally (not always) when I pick her up, presumably when she wasn't planning on coming out, although she never attempts to run away, and I never feel the slightest risk of her biting etc. She has been audible since she was a kitten, younger than 6 weeks, and this was the reason I really fell for her and she had to stay.... At one time she and her sister (both mink) were identical (her sister is now fatter and fairer) and my way of telling them apart was the noise Excaliber made ( definitely not respy breathing). It seems to me that she's probably not actually doing anything that the rest of the rats aren't, it's just that her communication is in my hearing range, perhaps the equivalent of shouting, or a deep voice? It does really make her seem a real character though.
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

whoopdedoo

Post by whoopdedoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 am

Found this post while searching for "squeak", because I'm pretty sure Beaker does happy squeaks - when being tickled or, as was the case 20 minutes ago, halfway through eating some toast and jam!

bowser

Post by bowser » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 am

My Albus does squeaks when visibly enjoying himself, like while eating broccoli and hopping around during his second free range. Also, he's squeaked while grooming his own feet (nothing wrong with them though, as far as I can tell), and he is just generally 10 times more vocal than his brother.