random biting... but friendly normally?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
CrazyBadger

random biting... but friendly normally?

Post by CrazyBadger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi guys. I am a little stumped by this one. I have another bitey girl who is normally lovely, but i have established that fingers through bars, or waking her up are bad ideas :lol: but this is different. She is normally a lovely girl, although she is more nervous than her sister. but she lunged at my arm today, didn't catch me but i got a scratch that would have been a bleeding bite if i hadn't moved faster than her! She was lovely to me earlier, got a bit of a lick for no reason :love: and i haven't touched anything new or cleaned my hands. my arm was pretty much still, i might have moved it slightly away from her as she went near but that was it. I think she is just generally nervous, when they are out she gets startled quite easily, then cautiously comes back again. I was trying to think what it could be. I was thinking maybe her eyesight but she is only young so i don't think it is going to be that. Do nervous rats randomly bite? I don't know. :( I find myself being nervous around her now and i know its going to make the problem worse.
suggestions? :-|
^^^ Owned by Spyro :smileyrat: Skittle :smileyrat: Badger :dumbo: Shadow :dumbo: Whisper :smileyrat: and Smudge :smileyrat: ^^^^

ticketyboo_fran

Re: random biting... but friendly normally?

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:27 pm

I hope someone has some advice soon, I can sympathise as I have had the same problem, but I still can't explain it... I have one who is just very cage territorial, but out of the cage is the sweetest thing ever, I'm just careful about sticking my hands in the cage without checking her location first! I have had the problem for a wee while though, have honestly tried everything I can think of! I'm just careful now. If i give her a yoggie i have to get her out first or she has my hand too (but out of the cage is gentle as pie!?)

If anyone can offer advice I'd be very interested to hear it, there's a lot of advice about hormonal males being like this but not much for girls :(
Frances & The Girlies

Honey (Aka The Honey Monster), Bramble, Eevee, Paisley & Dahlia :love:

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 am

My girl Bella occasionally takes random, unprovoked bites out of earlobe, nose, chin (never fingers!). I have no idea why! When she does it, I pick her up firmly, turn her on her back and "foof" in her face (on the advice of a very experienced ratty friend!). This makes absolutely no difference to Bella's behaviour :lol:

Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice, but I hope it comforts you to know you're not alone in having a psycho-rat :lol:
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy

vegan_jen

Post by vegan_jen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Is she quite a confident girl normally or very shy? Perhaps she is nervous of you? If so trust can be built with time and patience (offering food/treats helps and letting them come to you rather than invading their space and making them feel threatened or insecure).

My Bella is a bit bitey, although its nothing to do with being nervous. She's very confident and friendly and will lick me...but if she gets anywhere near my face she will grab my lip and bite!!! It's not aggressive at all, she's always surprised that I don't like it (lol) and is sweet as pie the rest of the time. She is very food obsessed though. I actually think it is her way of communicating that I should give her something lol (she's training me!). As if she has just had food/treat (that isn't her regular mix) she doesn't always do it. Where as if it has been a while then I have to watch out! I don't reinforce her behaviour by giving her food when she does this (I don't want to encourage it). If she can't get to my lip she will bite my neck or face (she doesn't bite and hold on, it's not aggressive or enough to draw blood or anything, but it does hurt! She tugs at my skin a bit when she does so). It's very frustrating as it makes me wary of her and less inclined to offer chest/shoulder cuddles! Very odd habit.
:girly: Jinny, Coco, Shiloh :love:
:rainbow: R.I.P Ratty and Bella, miss your cuddles so much xx
Adopt don't shop :D, millions of animals desperately need a second chance at love; we're all they have :hearts: http://www.abolitionistapproach.com