Excessive humping - any deterrents?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Kathleen

Excessive humping - any deterrents?

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Apart from the obvious one of castration of course! 3 of our 7ish month old boys have started tag teaming poor old Dangerous Beans who is 25 months. They literally go at him one straight after the other so by the time you can count to 10 he's been 'done' 9 times! It's like they get themselves into a frenzy, wind each other up and can't control it. Distractions like food, toys, picking them up and moving them to another part of the roomor cage don't help, they just zone in on him again like a heat seeking missile!

When it gets too much I've been giving Beans some space by closing the ramp between the levels and shutting the horny threesome off from the rest of them, but none of the rats like it. They all get on very well as a group now and there's always scrabbling and pawing at the ramp when it's closed.

What I don't understand is why they are just picking on Beans as he hasn't been castrated. He's had respy problems for most of his life, currently on regular steroid jabs as he's been struggling and the excessive attention is just stressing him out.

I'm hoping it's just teenage hormones and they'll settle down so I'm reluctant to put them all through an op. So has anyone else experienced this and got any tips on calming them down or some way of making Beans less attractive?
My boys: Feedsfour and Whizzbang
Running free at the bridge are Spock, Merry, Kirk, Rincewind, Pippin, Jean-Luc, Geronimo, Jasper, Titan, Bolt, Scarper, Dangerous Beans, Leggitt, Biscuit - Amazing boys every one xxxxx

RattyRenton

Re: Excessive humping - any deterrents?

Post by RattyRenton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 pm

One of my lads, Mitch, did this CONSTANTLY to just one of the other boys, Marley, none of the others. Marley became really withdrawn. I couldn't think of anything to make Mitch stop so I had him castrated. He hasn't done it since and has become the most lovely squish. I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but don't rule castration out completely if your horny lot don't stop it :D
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Agnus Castus can reduce this behaviour in boysies.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

RattyRenton wrote:One of my lads, Mitch, did this CONSTANTLY to just one of the other boys, Marley, none of the others. Marley became really withdrawn. I couldn't think of anything to make Mitch stop so I had him castrated. He hasn't done it since and has become the most lovely squish. I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but don't rule castration out completely if your horny lot don't stop it :D
I am worried about the adverse affect it could be having on Beans, like your Marley. I have talked about castration with my hubby but we both agree it seems a bit much to put all three through it, it would be a last resort.
Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:Agnus Castus can reduce this behaviour in boysies.
I've not really heard of Agnus Castus, what is it and where can I get it? How would give it to them? Definately interested in trying it out.
Running free at the bridge are Spock, Merry, Kirk, Rincewind, Pippin, Jean-Luc, Geronimo, Jasper, Titan, Bolt, Scarper, Dangerous Beans, Leggitt, Biscuit - Amazing boys every one xxxxx

Elizabeth13

Post by Elizabeth13 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Kathleen wrote:.. but we both agree it seems a bit much to put all three through it.
You wouldn't need to put all three through it. Your older boy that is being humped certainly wouldn't need it.
It could be a phase - how long has it been doing on for?

My boy Kai has been doing it to his brother, but he can be distracted by say a big bang noise, and he doesn't do it constantly but i am thinking about getting them snipped. Your case sounds much more serious, constant and obsessive and I think you may need to seriously consider castration for the sake of the poor older sicker rat. You could try as said above some alternative therapy, or you could try getting the drug from the Vets (begins with T, can never remember it!) which will work for a few weeks and will show you if castration will help.
Owned by: :love: Alfa & Kai :love:

Waiting at the Bridge: :rainbow: Jonesy :rainbow:

sjmax

Post by sjmax » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 am

Ive just added an 8 week old girl to my two 5 month old ladies and the baby is constantly humping one of them. I only introduced them yesterday but will this carry on or will it stop?!

Thanks
Steph
:hearts: :girly: Betsy :dumbogirly: Nippa :baby: Smudge

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:26 am

Kathleen wrote:I've not really heard of Agnus Castus, what is it and where can I get it? How would give it to them? Definately interested in trying it out.
It's a herbal remedy that balances the sex hormones. You can get it online in various places. It comes in both a tablet form and a liquid form. I've used the tablet version on various rats here now, and I have this brand - http://www.healthstore.uk.com/p70315/qu ... blets.html

I crush a whole tablet and split the powder, for an average boy of around 500g, I've used 1/4er of a tablet once a day, rising to 1/4er of a tablet twice a day if the once a day doesn't work so well.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 am

Elizabeth13 wrote: ... the drug from the Vets (begins with T, can never remember it!) ...
Tardak :wink:

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 am

sjmax wrote:I only introduced them yesterday but will this carry on or will it stop?!
It probably won't stop completely but it should lessen some over time ... it's normal for girls to do this, it's not really sexual though it will happen more when someone is in season, it forms part of dominance behaviour.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:14 am

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:
Kathleen wrote:I've not really heard of Agnus Castus, what is it and where can I get it? How would give it to them? Definately interested in trying it out.
It's a herbal remedy that balances the sex hormones. You can get it online in various places. It comes in both a tablet form and a liquid form. I've used the tablet version on various rats here now, and I have this brand - http://www.healthstore.uk.com/p70315/qu ... blets.html

I crush a whole tablet and split the powder, for an average boy of around 500g, I've used 1/4er of a tablet once a day, rising to 1/4er of a tablet twice a day if the once a day doesn't work so well.
We use agnus catsus, it made little effect on my young boysies....I am putting it down to play at the minute!
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

sjmax

Post by sjmax » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 am

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:
sjmax wrote:I only introduced them yesterday but will this carry on or will it stop?!
It probably won't stop completely but it should lessen some over time ... it's normal for girls to do this, it's not really sexual though it will happen more when someone is in season, it forms part of dominance behaviour.
Thanks thats good to know, it was just all they did that night! :roll: It was the newbie humping the the more alpha rat, is this usual?
Steph
:hearts: :girly: Betsy :dumbogirly: Nippa :baby: Smudge

Elizabeth13

Post by Elizabeth13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:
Elizabeth13 wrote: ... the drug from the Vets (begins with T, can never remember it!) ...
Tardak :wink:
I'm such a numpty. I never remember! I was thinking.. Tardisan.. Tard...isil? lol
Owned by: :love: Alfa & Kai :love:

Waiting at the Bridge: :rainbow: Jonesy :rainbow:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:

Brill thanks for that, I'll get some and give it a go. They do seem to have calmed down a bit in the last couple of days, there are still humping episodes but don't seem as frenzied as before and we separate the cage off for a bit if it seems to be getting out of hand. Fingers crossed the agnus castus does the trick as I'd only want to consider castration for the three horny young ones as a last resort.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:Agnus Castus can reduce this behaviour in boysies.
Rat Girl, have you ever used the herbal extract before?
Do you know the mg/Kg dosage?

Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me