I Need Advice

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Amanda Shay

I Need Advice

Post by Amanda Shay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

I have 2 male hairless rats. They are brothers and have never had any problems health or behavior, but here recently everytime i clean their cage they they start getting into scuffles that night and for a few nights afterwards. Their food is always fresh and full, they always have plenty of fresh water. Do i need to seperate them and get new cagemates or will they work it out, I dont want them to hurt each other but i dont want to seperate them if i dont have to because it may take a while to find cage mates around where i live.. If somebody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read this
Love My Rats
1. Scabbers: Black eyed white hairless 2. Krum: Mink bareback hairless
3. Delilah: Mink Bareback Dumbo 4. Ruby: Champagne Satin
Rest in Peace Cleopatra and Nefertiti (former female ratties)
*Note - extra lines as per the guidelines*

Golgotha_tramp

Re: I Need Advice

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Hiya,

How old are they? Rats come to sexual maturity at around 6 months, at this time they can be like stroppy teenagers. Generally the rule is "no blood, no foul", obviously scratches etc don't really count (especially as they are hairless and so will show up every scratch).
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:42 pm

They are close to a year old, maybe a little older. So far its mostly been just scratches, one of them ended up with a little deeper maybe a bite near his eye last week, but that is the worst it has been of course i stop them when i hear them going at it
Love My Rats

kizzie123

Post by kizzie123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 pm

May it be that you're over cleaning their cage so they're getting territorial over parts of the cage? I've had this happen before..
My three little babies, Bangers, Mash, and Beans <3
My new babies, Cookie and Cream <3

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:12 am

How often should i clean their, if this is the problem? I clean their litter box out whenever it gets bad and i clean the entire cage out weekly..
Love My Rats

kizzie123

Post by kizzie123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Sounds like your doing it right :P
Sounds like you know what you're doing cage wise, IF you do, dont use harsh cleaners on the cage :)
Sorry i couldn't be of better help :(

Ohh, i'd stick at it, they SHOULD settle down...im sure they love each other :p
My three little babies, Bangers, Mash, and Beans <3
My new babies, Cookie and Cream <3

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't think you have an issue at the moment, I would just keep an eye on things :D
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

petrify

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Ive kept hairless rats with haired rats and the hairless rats after playing looked like they had been through the wars :o :o

Because they have no fur, they have no protection against a stray claw or two. I would keep an eye on them, but generally scratches are fine on hairless. I would start to worry when you see bite marks around the rump area as this screams agression, and it usually seen on the least dominant rat. A bite mark near the eye couldve just been an over zealous clean or scrap.

Hope that helps to reassure you :)
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks ya'll that has helped alot. Im praying that it doesnt get any worse than it is now.
Love My Rats

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:02 am

Okay, I still need help, my rattie Krum now has a large dark cut on his shoulder and chest area... their not just fighting after cage cleaning now, its like every night or when im not at home... :???:
Love My Rats

Magalie

Post by Magalie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 pm

The fact they fight after cleaning tells me that they are being territorial as their scent is not present anymore, so they have to start all over again, what I do is leave a bit of bedding from the last week and never use bleach or anything that removes odor completely. If they become aggressive more and more often it might just be they need to find who's boss. I would never advice to stop the fights unless they are becoming bloody and one of them is really endangered. By intervening you stop them before one of them can affirm real dominance and they will escalate the violence until they have their place.

What you can do if it becomes really violent is castration, or tardak (chemical castration). They both can work miracles if it is hormonal. Speak to your vet about it and see what he thinks about it? With hairless rats any scratch seems like a war wound so it may be you don't need to worry that much.

Good luck
Magalie

All the views and statements in this post are mine only and do not represent the views and opinions of the sane majority.