What to do with rat on his own, please help.

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
wildthing

What to do with rat on his own, please help.

Post by wildthing » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am

I am in the rubbish position of having a lone rat, until 4 weeks ago I had 3 brothers all 18 months old. I lost Bailey very suddenly in his sleep then just a few weeks later I have had to help his brother Mika to the bridge this morning after he got very ill overnight.

I am beyond upset, losing one was awful, but I had convinced myself the other two would go on for ages, so to have lost another so quickly, I am just in bits.

Anyway, my biggest worry is for my remaning boy Rufus, he is such a love and always wants to be cuddled up with someone and now he is all alone. Soon after I lost Bailey I went on a waiting list for babies to try and avoid this happening, but I never dreamt I would lose another so quickly. My babies to be are currently two weeks old, so I won't have them for a while yet. what do I do in the meantime with Rufus? Obviously I will try and have him out as much as possible, but will he be okay?

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, I am in floods of tears :cry:
Wondering where the next nom is coming from - Rufus.

Mika, Bailey - Miss you my lovelies.

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: What to do with rat on his own, please help.

Post by a_wee_one » Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 am

If it is only a matter of a few weeks, he should be fine. It is time for him to mourn his brothers (if they do mourn) just make sure he has lots of attention from you. Someone might be able to let you foster or soemthing? I'm not sure how it'd work. IT's just not nice for rats to be alone forever. If he's got some little friends on the way then it should be alright?? Think it's personal choice?
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

shibby69

Post by shibby69 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:51 am

I've pm'd you, Lucy
Kyra x
Atlas rattery - Breeding for essex in russian blue, and also breeding russian dove, buff and black
http://www.atlasrats.co.uk

annc

Post by annc » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm

A short-term foster would be good, but if this isn't possible, put a stuffed sock or a child's toy in the cage to cuddle up to.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.