Such a dainty girl

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
daffee

Such a dainty girl

Post by daffee » Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

When we give treats our three can be quite snatchy, so we taught them the phrase 'gently' to slow them down grabbing from us. Twirl has taken this to heart and she now takes nearly all her treats with her hands first and then transfers into her mouth to run off. I don't remember any of our past rats doing this and it makes us smile every time :girly: :)

Anyone else have a rat do this?
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

rudyrat

Re: Such a dainty girl

Post by rudyrat » Wed May 18, 2011 3:56 pm

I wish my rats did this, sounds adorable! :love:
Rowan, Scabbers, Daisy & Snookie :love:

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Wed May 18, 2011 4:03 pm

awww :hearts:
i've never had one of my boys do this but they do grab my fingers with their paws before transferring them gently to their moths for a lick and a little nibble.
my dog who we just lost, i taught him to take treats ever so gently, he was SO gentle. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

daffee

Post by daffee » Fri May 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah we've had finger grabbers too :lol:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Fri May 20, 2011 3:36 pm

^^ it's so cute, i love it. they try and pull me into their sputnik. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

rudyrat

Post by rudyrat » Fri May 20, 2011 6:36 pm

could you posibly upload a video?dying to see it!!
Rowan, Scabbers, Daisy & Snookie :love:

lechien

Post by lechien » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm

my Zima always reaches out with her hands and it's sooooo adorable! :hearts: whereas Zazie is still pretty tricky. even when she doesn't snatch viciously, she still doesn't use her hands to get treats from me. wish Zima would teach Zazie a little manners. :lol:

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri May 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Vita takes the treat in her teeth very gently then holds my finger with her hands and uses my finger to push the treat into her mouth....sometimes she forgets to do it and rather than drop the treat or use her own fingers she turns round and has to push the treat in on my finger lol adorable :hearts:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Hannah&Lee

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sat May 21, 2011 10:11 am

Hey! I’ve been searching for this post for ages! One of my boys is really grabby, how did you teach them to be gentle?
x

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun May 22, 2011 9:09 am

Hannah&Lee wrote:One of my boys is really grabby, how did you teach them to be gentle?
x
We didn't specifically teach her to take it that way, but we did it by offering them treats in a way they couldn't grab. It's hard to describe, but we would put one hand on their backs almost as a restraint and then brought the treat up so it was close to them and we would say 'gentle' as they took it and they figured it out on their own that we didn't want them to snatch. We also give them a stroke after they take them nicely. Not that they don't ever snatch anymore, but we don't lose the ends of our fingers so much now :lol: