I think he hates me

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
blackraven1975

I think he hates me

Post by blackraven1975 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 pm

I know this is in the wrong section but theres an SQL error on the behaviour forum!
As some of you know my formerly lovely boy Snape has become very human aggressive- at the Meldreth Show 2 weeks ago he really went for me :( (he bit me the week before as well but I thought it was because it was a hot day & he was feeling irritable)
My husband thinks it was because he didn't like being at the show & was upset but he's become like it at home too. I have spoken to my vet & they have said they can neuter or try Tardak to see if a neuter would benefit. Today he didn't bite me but he looked like he might
although I have had rats that have been 'nippy' I've never had one who's changed so much in temperament :(
Virge & the Motley Crew- 6 girls- Hyldi, Lola, Tau, Pippin & Ki and 8 boys- Lennon, Irwin, Mr. Skyfish, Snape, Professor Nebulous, Tesla, Magnum & Mushu
Also 3 dogs, 3 cats & a rabbit

worthysmum

Re: I think he hates me

Post by worthysmum » Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Well Im sure he doesnt hate you personally, I think he is just being hormonal and bossy. Why dont you try the tardak and then if it helps go for neutering. Who was his mum? My three boys are darlings but Piglett the mink hoody boy is showing signs of being hormonal but only grumpy and bossy with the rats. Im hoping he settles down as I hate to neuter rats, because of the risks.
Love is....a dumbo rat

blackraven1975

Post by blackraven1975 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 am

His mum is Tau, who has become a sweetheart since being rescued, I understand the risks which is why I worry about going through with it
Virge & the Motley Crew- 6 girls- Hyldi, Lola, Tau, Pippin & Ki and 8 boys- Lennon, Irwin, Mr. Skyfish, Snape, Professor Nebulous, Tesla, Magnum & Mushu

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Mon May 30, 2011 11:56 am

Although risky, I think neutering can be for the best sometimes. The 2 I've had neutered seem so much happier in themselves since having their nads off.

I was beginning to think my Bear hated me (I even caught him pushing a stack of CDs onto my head! :o ) but last night, 3 weeks after he had the snip, I had a lovely cuddle with him and he didn't even try and sink his fangs into me :hearts:
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

blackraven1975

Post by blackraven1975 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm

aww bless, glad he has chilled out, hopefully so will our Snape!