New Ratties/ is this normal?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Lindsei

New Ratties/ is this normal?

Post by Lindsei » Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to FR & keeping Ratties. I brought home 2 Does - 1 Russian Blue (8 weeks) - named Rain & 1 Badger (5 weeks) - named Willow, just over a week ago & I'm curious to know if it's normal for them to be obsessed with ears!? The pair of them or adamant on trying get their whole heads into everyones ears, even though I find this highly amusing when they do it to somebody else, I'm not too keen myself as I convince myself that they're going to bite inside my ear. Is this normal behaviour?

Also they've taken to doing a wee on the back of my hand (which feels really hot) :roll: when they're playing on my desk. 1 will do it, I wipe it away with a babywipe & then the other has a go & they go on to take turns.

I absolutely adore them & they are so friendly but I'm wondering whether they're normal Rattie things to do & if they'll grow out of them?

Lindsei :D
:dumbobaby: Rain - Powder Blue Doe, :dumbobaby: Willow - Husky Doe, :baby: Ratty - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck,
:baby: Tango - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck, :baby: Banksy - Agouti Berkshire Buck, :baby: Mr Jingles - Black Bershire Buck

Happy Hammocks

Hanlou

Re: New Ratties/ is this normal?

Post by Hanlou » Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Hello! Like baby humans; they are discovering the world around them lol and will probably do slightly strange things whilst they are doing this! :wink:

5 weeks is really too young to be homed tbh (6 weeks upwards is far more normal) so the youngest will probably be very babyish and perhaps a little insecure. From what you've described, they sound pretty normal and confident. The ear-sniffing will probably calm down a bit as the novelty wears off!

Weeing on you is um; a sign of affection! They are marking you saying 'this is my owner'. As they settle it may wear off a bit but you do need to wear clothes that don't matter too much lol. :P

Ratties are lovely critters - welcome to their wonderful world! :love:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

CatherineP

Post by CatherineP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 am

Oh yes, they love you very much - the weeing is their way of making you more ratty-like and therefore part of the group.

And as for the ears, they are just checking you cleaned them. Or looking for hidden treats, or just being nosy!
Catherine

Proudly owned by Marmite, BabyBear, Hamish, Haggis, Jeemy, Bramble, Roly and Willow but missing Ozzy, Lemmy, Yoshi, Jelly, Chutney, Honey, Daisy, Peanut Butter, Cocopops, Murphy and Pickle always x

samalexander

Post by samalexander » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Lindsei

I'm a fairly new rat owner myself. Got my first two in February and a couple of new ones yesterday.
Sock, one of my first has always been a wee-er and still is today.

It is a bit gross and I don't think it would be right to discipline him for doing it because it's natural
(and apparently a sign of affection and territory) but he's a good 6 months old now and doesn't
seem to show any signs of stopping haha!

As for the ears, mine have never been too bothered with human ears although they'll have a good sniff now and then :)

Sam
Student Journalist and happy rat owner :)
My boys: Sock, Shoulders & Problems
http://www.twitter.com/sam__alexander http://www.sarichardson.wordpress.com
*Note - extra lines removed to meet the guidelines*

lostgirl

Post by lostgirl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 am

mine quite like ears, but one of my dogs loves ears he always has lol he sticks his whole nose in your ear sniffs and snorts down down hes now 2.5yrs old and never grown out of it i think some animals just like ears (personally as a human i love ears :oops: )
My dumbo girls- Rosie, Poppy, Lyra, Belle and Indy
coming soon 3 more :)

Lindsei

Post by Lindsei » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 pm

thanx everyone for the replies :biggrin:

At least I know they're normal & it looks like I'm going to have to get used to. The weirdest thing is when Rain sticks her head right in your ear whilst bruxing like mad, it sounds soooo loud :o

Lol lostgirl, I can't say I'm a fan of ears :P

Lindsei :love:
:dumbobaby: Rain - Powder Blue Doe, :dumbobaby: Willow - Husky Doe, :baby: Ratty - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck,
:baby: Tango - Silver Fawn Hooded Buck, :baby: Banksy - Agouti Berkshire Buck, :baby: Mr Jingles - Black Bershire Buck

Happy Hammocks

annc

Post by annc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:17 pm

A lot of rats love ears - they think we need grooming! As others have said, the weeing is a scent-marking thing to say you are theirs!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

funnykooky

Post by funnykooky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:17 pm

hi welcome to the forum :D some of my ratties sniff my ears lol probably trying to see out the other side :lol: they also pee on me too which doesnt bother me as i know its a sign of their affection for me.anyway they have to pee somewhere when theyre out lol

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 pm

hiyaq and welcome to the forum and the owrld of rats once you've started am sure you'll be hooked for life :D rats are amazing animals

yup! i can just echo what everyone else has said aboout the weeing. my bubs still leave little trails accross the back of my hand everynow and then :wink: when rats are out and about in any area particularly if its strange/new they also leave little droplets of urine as a kind of pheremone trail to mark their way and particularly the way to safety.

haha and ears yup * nods head and giggles* wait till they start trying to get in your mouth :lol:

you cant really punish a rat for bad behaviour they really dont know whats going on! all it will do is break the tentative trust you have with them. if you really dont like them sticking their head in your ears try nudging them away gently with your finger,(in rat speak its like bottom barging each other) if they persist and ignore your bottom barges :oops: just take them off yor shoulde for a bit, then let them back on your shoulder a min later if they do it again do the same again, eventually they may get the idea that "mummy doesnt like it when i stick my nose in her ear"

but for the most part once they've figured ears all out they'll loose interest adn be onto bigger and better things all by themselves :love: :love: :love:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

ShinyRainbow

Post by ShinyRainbow » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:56 pm

One of my girls has never grown out of peeing on me, so I'm used to her doing it now. Because it's to do with territory marking boys tend to do it more than girls, but it is a form of showing affection. They even do it to each other!

As for the ears thing, my babies so this to me all the time! They seem to love trying to shove their noses right in and also love to comb my hair! I'm obviously not taking care of myself to their standard :lol:
~*~ :girly: Maya ~*~ :girly: Pearl ~*~ :dumbogirly: Blossom ~*~ :girly: Clover ~*~

~*~ :rainbow: Brothers reunited at the bridge - Dexter & Casey :hearts: ~*~

Claratrix

Post by Claratrix » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:28 pm

My boys love grooming my ears and hair, especially when they're out and running around, it's just them being affectionate! My tiniest, Brian, even climbed *inside* my glasses the other day, he was so interested in my eyes :D
Maurice, Franklin, Albert and Brian.