Violent 'grooming'

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
sophiet

Violent 'grooming'

Post by sophiet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi - can anyone offer any advice please?

My two boys (both neutered) are now a year old, and over the last month the larger of the two has been really over-grooming the other one (my best guess). He's always produced a few squeaks from the smaller boy, but now the little one has about 8-10 scabs on his back and neck of varying sizes. I'm sure it must be the other rat because of the position of the scabs, but what can I do??? :(

ShinyRainbow

Re: Violent 'grooming'

Post by ShinyRainbow » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:17 pm

are you sure the scabs are from the other rat over grooming and not from the smaller ratty itself scratching from mites? Where are the scabs located?
~*~ :girly: Maya ~*~ :girly: Pearl ~*~ :dumbogirly: Blossom ~*~ :girly: Clover ~*~

~*~ :rainbow: Brothers reunited at the bridge - Dexter & Casey :hearts: ~*~

sophiet

Post by sophiet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:28 am

Can't be sure, but certainly haven't noticed much mega scratching. I put some spot-on on him last night after searching the posts for scabs last night... do you know low long it would take for that to take effect? And do you think I should do the other boy as well?

I have to say that his fur does look a bit thin and not in the best condition, but his weight is stable.

ShinyRainbow

Post by ShinyRainbow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:11 pm

if you don't think he has been scratching much then it can't hurt as mites only tend affect one ratty at a time, but it can't hurt to treat him as well. If his fur is looking a bit thin could it be something he is missing in his diet?

Although one of my boys had really thin fur after turning 18 months. For the rest of his life (he lived to 32 months) he had fur so thin in places you could see his pink skin! But his diet was fine and he was healthy enough, I think it was because he was a bit of a runty little thing.
~*~ :girly: Maya ~*~ :girly: Pearl ~*~ :dumbogirly: Blossom ~*~ :girly: Clover ~*~

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:46 pm

If his fur is thin to start with, it is probably making it easier for you to see the scabs, so I would check the other boy carefully as well. Mites only tend to be a problem when the rat is unwell or run down, so keep an eye on him.
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow:

sophiet

Post by sophiet » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks guys.

His fur has always been a bit on the thin side I think. I'll check the big boy too and dose him too if I find any scabs at all and keep an eye on them both. They have just been 'on holiday' at a friend's house whilst we were away over half-term, so I expect that didn't help. Let's hope it's as straightforward as mites!

Thanks again.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Little red scabs, and raw looking skin in that region will almost certainly be mites :luck:
Regardng squeaking while grooming, that sort of grooming tends to be hierachy-related and the groomer holds down the groomee (who often squeaks in submission). It's nothing bad, just them re-affirming their bonds really. Some rats protest a lot more loudly and indignantly than others lol.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

ShinyRainbow

Post by ShinyRainbow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Some rats protest a lot more loudly and indignantly than others lol.
guess same can be applied to people :lol: everyone is different, so ratties are the same in this respect.