Intro advice yet again

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
RattyRenton

Intro advice yet again

Post by RattyRenton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 am

Hi

I got a new boy yesterday, Arthur. He's met a couple of the boys just sat on my knee very briefly and he was all foofy and bog brushed. Just tried him in the bath with my lone boy Archie, who I'm hoping he'll be friends with. Archie, though castrated, is a complete pain in the behind when with the other boys. He instantly bog brushes and squares up to them if they come anywhere near him (I've done bath, carrier and small cage, he's always the same). The other boys are perfectly calm, they're great with strange rats. I've been trying to get him in with them for weeks but all that's resulted is him injuring a few of them. When in the bath with Arthur just now he did his usual bog brushing. Arthur seemed to like him though, he kept putting his head underneath Archie's chin and bruxing really loudly and I just got a general impression that he was trying to make friends. They had a bit of a scuffle eventually but I think that's because of Archie being the way he is, he over-reacts, and Arthur just felt he had to defend himself then got all wound up himself. I think Archie is simply scared of other rats (he's pink eyed which doesn't help) but I can't keep risking him injuring the others. As he can't seem to cope with my group of 8 lads, some of them rather boisterous, then I'd hoped he'd take to just one calm boy on his own but if he keeps acting so aggressively then I'm just not going to get anywhere with him. Arthur is intact and has lived with other boys before, so I've been told. Any advice gratefully received.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

wavoguns

Re: Intro advice yet again

Post by wavoguns » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

Hmmm, I know it probably won't help the current situation with Arthur, but maybe what Archie needs is a couple of baby boys or baby girls to play uncle for? Otherwise, you seem to have introduction experience already so I'm sure this isn't new to you either - take it slowly. If you got Arthur only yesterday, maybe an intro today is too much for him? Maybe he needs a couple of days to settle down at first, although it does sound like Archie is more of a problem tha Arthur. I can only recommend a slow pace really. And maybe put a little dab of Vanilla essence on both lads so they smell the same and are more occupied with licking it off each other than to fight with each other. :)

Mini-moon

Re: Intro advice yet again

Post by Mini-moon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I definatly agree, I started off with a rat i rescued (Marley) when he was about 5 weeks. Then got Salem (8 weeks) to keep him company whilst i was at work. I do think it helped initially that both of those were young, but when i first got them, i housed them seperatly in cages near enough to eachother so that they can see/smell eachother but far away enough that they couldn't grab tails/limbs! I gradualy done introductions on my bed over a period of a few times a week for about two weeks, then dabbed them both with vanilla essence and plonked them in to a new cage that neither one called home with lots of new stuff (no ones scent on) and result! Best buddies now a year on. They just spent their time licking the yummy vanilla off eachother! :) And Marley kept sticking his head under salems chin and bruxing (much like your archie and arthur for a moment!) Also I introduced Calvin who im unsure of his age but id say was probably about 3 months (same as as my guys when i introduced him) As they were getting to that hormoney 'teenager' age it was a bit hit and miss and there was some scrapping (whilst trying to establish a pecking order i spose) but nothing major. I will reccommend lots of boxes and particularly hammocks as when Calvin seemed stressy he just went in to the hammock to cool off and didnt come down for hours until he felt comfortable. The next day they were all happily squeezed in to the hammock together and have been ever since!
Hope this helps!
P.s- Ive just got 2 more little 1 month old bucks! Theyre very hyper though! Gonna introduce them when theyre at least 2 months/big enough and stick all my ratties together in an explorer! Eeek Excited! :)

Meesh xx :love:
Meesh and the ratty-lumps: Marley, Salem, Calvin, Hoodsey and Syd