only one rat left in my cage :(

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
anna_marie

only one rat left in my cage :(

Post by anna_marie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 am

hi everyone

i am new to this website and lookig for some advice,

two and a half years ago i bought three baby ratties, noah, noodles and sergent, a couple of moths ago noah sadly passed away, and this morning with a heavy heart i had to put to sleep noodles after he fell very poorly :( now i am concerned for sergent he is all by himself in the cage and i am worried he will get lonely at night and when i am at work. of course he will get plenty of cuddles and time out of the cage to run around but is human company enough for these social animals? oh and sergent is very healthy and theres no sign of him slowing down yet!
any advice would be muchly appreciated in this difficult time
thank you
anna
:love:

redrach

Re: only one rat left in my cage :(

Post by redrach » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am

I suggest either getting some more ratties or rehoming him as you don't want him to be living alone for a long period of time.
You could rescue some adults of a similar age or get some babies to join him.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Unfortunately, in all but a few exceptional cases, human company is not enough and cannot replace ratty company. You seem to want the best for your boy, and as you say he's very healthy, he's hopefully got a good amount of time left so I think ratty company is a must. IMO you have a couple of options;
1) Get more rats. A couple of babies should be pretty easy to introduce and I've found can often give older rats a new lease of life!
2) Foster a rat/some rats until Sergent passes on then return them. Some rescues may allow you to do this or sometimes very nice people on this forum may help out.
3) Rehome him. As awful as this sounds if you are not able to take any new rats then this may be in Sergents best interest.

Obviously 1 is the nicest option, but only if you're intending on carry on keeping rats. (Not that I can think of many reasons that you wouldn't want too!)

Hope you get sorted, and cuddles to Sergent. :love:
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

anna_marie

Post by anna_marie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm

thank you so much for your advice

i love keeping ratties so much they make such amazing pets im thinking that in a couple of weeks or a month i will get two new baby rats to keep sergent happy, i love him so much and want the best for him, he may have to cope for a little while by himself until im ready to get little ones but it wont be too long, what is the best way to introduce new rats to each other?

anna

:love:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 pm

I would get baby company for him asap :luck: A month isn't very long for a person (sometimes!), but for an animal that on average only lives to be 22months it's a very long time.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

anna_marie

Post by anna_marie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:22 pm

ive contacted a few breeders i know and hopefully sergent will have two new brothers, possibly dumbo rats as ive never had them before! within a week and half :) thank you all for your help and i will read up on how to introduce new rats to each other :-o

the thought of two new baby rats to look after will get me through the difficult time at the moment :dumbobaby:

rest in peace all ratties who have passed on to rat heaven :hearts:

xxx

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 pm

What good news that Sergent will soon have some lovely pingy babies to keep him company :hearts:
Sorry to hear about your losses, I hope the happiness of new babies helps you, I know that when I lose ratties it is the ones remaining who keep me going.
There is some useful advice about introducing new rats here which might be worth reading. Most people find that intro'ing babies tends to be quite easy as they are small enough to not be a real threat to adults. And if Sergent is lonely he may well relish the opportunity to have some company again.
Good luck with the babies, please post pics when they have settled :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that :( Its gd to hear ur getting more rats though :D It must be horrible for them to live alone :cry:

pipsqueak

Re: Need advice on getting my rat a friend!!

Post by pipsqueak » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:53 am

Hi, i know how you feel as i was left in the same position when my Squeak was left alone. We decided to get her new babies for company and looked up introductions on the site etc. Unfortunately we were going on holiday a week after Pip passed so we decided to wait until after our holiday to get company as it wasn't fair on the new ones to just get them and then leave them with strangers! Plus we needed time to supervise the intro ourselves. However a few days before we were due to go on our holiday Squeak suddenly became very sick and had to be pts after apparently being healthy until then. This was a mere 9 days after losing her cage mate. I blame it on loneliness and i wish we weren't going on holiday as we would of got new rats sooner. So please don't leave it too long, i wouldn't want the same to happen to your guy. On a good note we now have 4 lively baby girls to look after :) good luck :)