pet rat improvments and problems

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
pomcat

pet rat improvments and problems

Post by pomcat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I have a pet rat that used to attack me and has left me with several scars, he also killed his brother and it was for these reasons that i have kept him on his own since, I started letting him run around the bedroom every night and sometimes in the day while i work (in the room), he no longer attacks me but he does act like he is going to bite but doesn't bite down hard, if i don't flinch he wont bite, he also seems to rub himself against me or near by objects, and urinates on anything that has my smell on it (specially my computer mouse, yuck) why does he do this? Will i ever be able to move him in with another rat? I really dont want to run the risk of him killing another rat, but i hate to think he will be lonley for the rest of his life.

spoiled_rat

Re: pet rat improvments and problems

Post by spoiled_rat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Sounds like hormonal aggression. I would neuter him.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:29 pm

It's highly unlikely that he did kill his brother. Did you see him do it? It's more likely he died of natural causes. Did you find that he beat his brother up a bit? He could be hormonal and if so castration will definitely help. Once castrated you need to give it at least 2 week for him to become infertile or a little longer for his hormones to properly settle then you can try introducing other males (babies are probably best) or some females of any age.

It's not a good idea for rats to be kept alone and I would definitely do everything I could to enable him to have friends if he was mine. Hopefully you will get somemore responses soon from people who keep boys as I only have girls.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:30 pm

I would seriously suggest getting him neutered, it would calm him down as it does sound like it's his hormones, it'll give him a better life and would give you a reason to get babies for an easy intro ;)
It would more than likely stop all the aggression, stop the sent marking and rubbing himself against you, more so than not!

I hope all goes well :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

pomcat

Post by pomcat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:It's highly unlikely that he did kill his brother. Did you see him do it? It's more likely he died of natural causes. Did you find that he beat his brother up a bit?

He started getting aggressive towards his brother a few months after i got them, to the point that he would make his brother bleed, i separated them and went through a kind of second introduction, then they were fine for a week both were perfectly healthy, but the morning after there wasn't much left of his brother even though they had plenty of food available, i kinda branded him the devils rat as i have owned many rats in the past but none quite so aggravating as this one.
I have held off neutering because my dogs came down with illness simultaneously and I'm a little starved for cash.

pomcat

Post by pomcat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:52 pm

ErnieG! wrote:I would seriously suggest getting him neutered, it would calm him down as it does sound like it's his hormones, it'll give him a better life and would give you a reason to get babies for an easy intro ;)
I would love some babies, but you can understand my concern. Looks like i need to save up my penny's ASAP

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I've seen a rat having been nearly killed from a hormonal fight - so I know it can happen (I say nearly as we just got to the vet in time). I would neuter him as he's not going to be happy in himself either - just remember that it can take a fair few weeks for hormones to settle when they are very hormonal - which is how your boy sounds to me x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 am

He definitely sounds like he would benefit from being neutered. Having too many hormones canmake life very stressful for a buckand once they'vebeen removed they areable to calm down and enjoy life. :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez